Height limits for Dorel seats

bnsnyde

Do the height limits for Dorel seats apply to all? I know the Complete Air discussion brought renewed talk of height limits.

A 45 inch kid who fits in a Pria is over the 43" FF limit. But if he fits by other standards, still a no go?

If a baby fits in the OnBoard Air with more than an inch of shell but is over the height limit posted? I thought it was 32 but my child would have fit (by the one inch rule) well past that.

Last edited:
ADS

lourdes

I think you have to call dorel, I call before I went with the complete air and they are very understanding about the height situation in all their seats, they told me that if the baby wasn't past of the top of the car seat shell it was ok, (in RF) but I think you have to call them your self and explain your particular situation (as I did) and they can give you a specific answer to your specific concern. I went and buy the complete air and if my DD hits the 40 inches before she reach the top of the hard shell she will remain RF but as a lot of people have said here it is a parent choice, I call and I made my choice with the information that they give me and I am happy with it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Dorel has recently been adamant about sticking to the height limits, especially regarding the Complete Air. I would abide by them and I would advise parents to, but I've been known to be a stickler for rules.

bnsnyde

My thinking was the OnBoard Air 35 was a good choice for a baby with a long torso. But if 32 inches is the max, then the seat is not going to last any longer than my Chaperone or many others, despite extra shell.

I actually thought of using one for my own giant baby, but if they really stick to the height limit, then again, it wouldn't make sense.

Most seats we get nowhere near the posted height limits. 49 inches in a RF Britax? Maybe if she had NO torso. 53 inches in the Radian? Nope. 50 inches in the Prosport? I doubt it. But the Pria has a LOW limit and says 43." Too bad, as I liked it. My kids can RF to that or close to it in the Radian.

bnsnyde

I wonder if they mean 32 absolute max (but if a baby is say 30 inches but doesn't have an inch of shell even left, then the seat's outgrown too).

bnsnyde

But if it were or they would not say 32, I assume.

My 36 inch toddler almost fit! And has 5 lbs. to gain in it, even.
But if 32 was the max, forget it.

He would have outgrown it ages ago.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm not looking at my manual right now In all honesty, I go by the 1" rule anyway. I just know with the CA65 they have been very clear that when a child is 40" tall, the seat must not be used for rear facing any longer regardless of how much shell is above the head. And I think that's just stupid and makes no sense. I presume they mean the same thing when they state height limits for their other seats as well.

bnsnyde

The person I spoke with @ Dorel after years on hold said 32 inches max.
So despite having a tall shell, their infant seat offers no extended use, in my opinion.
My current seat has the same height #.

Too bad, as I was thinking my tall babies (or others) would benefit from the OnBoard Air for extended use. But not so.

My not even 5-month-old can only grow 4.5 inches more before maxing out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC