Give me a stinkin' BREAK!!!

abckidsmom

My cousin just had his first baby (well, it was his fiancee that did the work). The were being discharged from the hospital and the nurse told him that he need to bring the seat up to the room before they could go. He told her that he had "a big seat" in the car for the baby, not a basket. (He didn't know the lingo)

The nurse MADE him send his mom out to buy a basket carseat for the baby, cause "that's the only thing that's safe for a new baby" They didn't really have a ton of money to spend on the seat anyway, that's why I recommended the ol' Scenera and helped them get it installed PERFECTLY!

So they listened to the nurse, took out the Scenera and put it in the trunk, and used the brand-new snugride which they didn't actually need. At least they remembered what I said about 5 pt restraints and didn't get the evenflo carseat that was only$40.

I was so steamed. I wanted to go up there and advocate for them, but he told me not to. He said he wanted an extra seat anyway, so it was fine. OOOOOH, I was so mad for them.

ADS

MamiOf3

:( :eek: :confused: :thumbsdown: :doh: :crying: :scratcheshead: :jaw:

I'm an RN on a mother baby unit and if I saw one of my co workers doing that I would inform them (as well as our boss) that they are giving out BAD advice. Do you know how many of my co workers (as well as my unit managers, and risk management) didn't know that car seats even expire? I've had a few patients over the past month bring in expired car seats for their babies. I tell them about them being expired and even go to the car seat manufacturer's website and print out info to confirm it. Yet I still cringe when they go home because I highly doubt they get different seats for those babies.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
:mad: That stinks!

I have to admit I've always wondered what hospitals do if parents are taking babe home in a convertible seat - I'm guessing they must just go down to the car...

SPJ&E

That sucks for them...but at least they have a second seat I guess. I would call just to let them know that's wrong so hopefully they'll correct it and not do that to anyone else.

Trudy, here, it's a requirement when discharged that the nurse pushes you and baby out in a wheelchair. I've always left with mine in infant seats, but I would think they would at least look in the car to make sure there's a carseat there if an infant seat isn't being used...who knows!

mommy2env

That is horrible, I would have called and made a fuss:rolleyes: No need to spend extra cash.

The hospital I delivered my daughter actually didnt want me to bring the seat up, they said that babies should not be carried as if they were a basket of fruit lol. They just made sure I was taking her home in a seat.

Amaris

Both of my boys were wheeled down with me holding them and put into their seats in the car, and they were put into infant seats. Michael was born in Texas and the nurse there looked into the car to make sure we had a seat but that was it. Isaiah was born in Ohio and the nurse let me out at the door and didn't even walk outside! I plan on doing the same thing this time even though I will again use an infant seat. If a nurse says anything I will tell them the seat is in the car and if they want to see it feel free to look in the car. With so many things to carry while leaving it is just easier for me to carry the baby and DH to carry the stuff. If he's carrying the baby in the seat then he has to make more trips to get the stuff first.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
That is soooo frustrating! I would have flat out refused, but then I know better.

I wish we could stop the spread of misinformation a little quicker... you know, everyone takes a week off and gets training from one person via satellite :D
Totally unrealistic and tons of things wrong with that idea, but I'm just rambling on anyway. ;)

Loves2sing

I would have refused, and told her to go with dh to look at the seat in the car. Then I would have shown her the manual that would pin point that my baby would fit. Nurses don't know jack about carseats, the nurse who discharged dd and I told me not to buckle her in too tight or I would break her ribs in an accident. :rolleyes: Well I guess I can't say all nurses, but my point is that they aren't techs, and they technically shouldn't be giving out carseat advice!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC