Need advice (2nd set of child restraint seats needed)

cocurlgurl

Our current car situation:

Primary car:

DS1 (3.5) FF BLVD
DS2 (1) RF Graco Safe Seat (30lb 32in limit, shoulder straps have one more slkot to go still)

Dad's car:

DS1 FF Marathon
DS2 RF Safe Seat (have 2 bases)

~~~~~~~~~~~

We are planning to move the baby to the MA in the primary car and then just leave the safe seat in Dad's car for the situation when one of us needs to go somewhere with one child. We coudl easily do this another 3-6 mo as DS2 is no where near th eshell limit ont he safe seat.

BUT - we are moving kids to a daycare near home (10 min max) and Dad will be doign drop off once that change happens. SO,...we need to rethink our car seat options.

I was considering:

OPTION A:
Primary, DS1 FF BLVD, DS2 RF MA.
Dad car, DS1 FF Cosco HBB, DS2 Safe Seat (until he reaches limits)

But I am afraid DS1 might already be too tall for the Cosco HBB - need to test it.

Alternately - we coudl go with

OPTION B:
primary, DS1 FF BLVD, DS2 RF alternate Convertible (Scenera?)
Dad car, DS1 FF MA, DS2 RF Safe seat for now and switch to somethign else in 4-6 mo.

WE are not in the market to buy expensive seats - it jsut isn't in the budget right now.

I woudl apprecaite thoughts on the best way to handle this. Please weigh in on your thoughts on the Cosco HBB (this one has the molded belt grooves), info on the height limit for it.

Also - suggestions for other harnessed boosters woudl be appreciated, as would thoughts on alternate convertible seats.

Thank you.

ADS

BrookysMommy

Option B sounds to me like your best option. Then you dont have to worry about finding a harnessed seat for DS1. If she already has them, I would use them and then find something else to work when DS2 reachs the limits on the SafeSeat. Or you could buy two sceneras (one for each car) and get rid of the SafeSeat all together if that would work in your cars. Hope that helps :)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
What's your budge for seats? Target has a bunch on sale, more online than in the store and flier.

The Cosco HBB with harness....low top slots and poor boster fit. You'll likely be replacing before you wanted to depending on how child fits now.

Susan

Jessica61624

A good harness seat is the evenflo maestro. It's around $80 and you can do the trade in at bru and get 25% off. It will last a lot longer than the Costco high back. My dd has outgrown the Costco hbb at 4.

cocurlgurl

Thank you for your thoughts - that is a great option regardign leaving the bucket for the short term. He doe sno tcomplain about being in the seat so we coudl get some more mileage from it until we decide what to do.

I agree that the Cosco hbb won't work - DS1's shoulders are already at the top slot.

I think we are goign to have to go do some trying on fo some boosters.

I hesitate to get two scenara's b/c at some poitn DS1 is goign to outgrow his BLVD by height, so he will need another seat then. And I woudl rather not buy three to meet that need.

Evolily

I agree, the cosco HBB should be avoided if possible.

I would get an evenflo maestro for now, and rear face your baby in the marathon. Another option might be the graco nautilus, however it might be over your budget (it usually retails for around $150, but I've seen sales closer to $120). If possible I would consider getting a nautilus when your baby outgrows the safe seat, it just lasts longer in harness and booster mode than the maestro. It is possible the evenflo chase might be an option depending on your older son's weight (I believe it still has a 40 Lb limit in the US)

Oh, and you want a combination seat (harness to booster) rather than a booster. Kids need harnessed until at least 4, preferably until 5 or 6 depending on maturity.

cocurlgurl

thank you - I used the wrong term - I definitely want he 5ot harness booster seat b/c my DS1 will get himself into trouble if he was jsut a lap belt high back booster.

as for Britax expiration - most liekly befor eth ebaby has outgrown them. I am not sure of fthe top of my head - but I am guessing they have 3-4 more years (BLVd is longer than MA)

Jessica61624

cocurlgurl said:
thank you - I used the wrong term - I definitely want he 5ot harness booster seat b/c my DS1 will get himself into trouble if he was jsut a lap belt high back booster.

as for Britax expiration - most liekly befor eth ebaby has outgrown them. I am not sure of fthe top of my head - but I am guessing they have 3-4 more years (BLVd is longer than MA)

I would double check. For now buy a maestro and pass down the ma or blvd to the youngest. Then when you need to switch the baby from the infant seat completely get another maestro for the oldest and pass down again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC