Flying with a FR85?

Ltaylor

I know that I have asked a similar question on here before but this time the situation is a little different.

DD and I are flying to Texas at the end of November. She is currently 4.5, 43in and 42lbs with a 15in seated torso height. She is in a Frontier85. Originally we were going to fly Delta, but they have very short lay overs (the longest is in ATL for 55mins) and we need at least 1.5 hours for potty, food and to get to our next gate. The only airline that offers a longer layover is American Airlines.

Does anyone know if the FR85 will even fit on American Airlines seats?
Is there a better option? She is too big for the CARES now.

I really cannot afford to buy a whole new seat just for travel. I was going to get the new Britax car seat travel cart ($80) to lug the FR85 around. If I were to buy a new seat, I would still have to get something to lug it around on.

ETA: MIL has a carseat at her house that I *think* DD can still fit in. She has an Evenflo Triumph Advance from when we were there the last time (DD was 18mo). I am just not sure that I am comfortable without DD being in a carseat on the plane.

ADS

NVMBR02

It all depends on your comfort level. My own kids start riding with the airplane lapbelt between 3.5 and 4. By that point both the older 2 have fit well enough that I felt comfortable. If you are not comfortable with her without a carseat I would explore other options.

I hate dragging carseats through the airport. Hate it. The FR85 would be a big pain in the neck, IMO.

Do you use a rolling carry-on? If so I would take the $80 or so dollars you are planning on spending on the carrier for the FR85 and get a maestro. I would them use a bungee cord or two to attach the seat to the suitcase and be on your way. You could also spend $20ish and get a travel cart and attach the carseat to that.

Ltaylor

We wont be using a rolling carry on. Everything will be baggage checked except for my backpack (laptop/DDs meds/change of clothes/etc) and DDs backpack with her game/snacks/books.

Jan06twinmom

I would go ahead and not take a car seat and use the one at Grandma's house.

At you DD's age and size, she would be fine in an airline seat without the car seat. I'm also pretty sure your DD will fit in the Triumph Advanced that is at your MIL's house already. If you want to verify that, you can have your DD sit in the Triumph 65 at a local store to make sure she is still under the top harness slots.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC