50+ pound kids in radians

christineka

After the other thread, I'm just curious how many 50+ pound kids are currently in radians or would fit according to the rule stating the seat is outgrown by 53 inches or ears to the top of the shell and shoulders may be above the top slots.

My ds1 weighs 57 pounds and rides in a radian.
RNEr_sm-2.jpg

My dd1 at 65 pounds and 52 inches tall barely fit.
eradiancvivo.jpg

Oops, I meant to add a poll, but forgot. Oh well. We can discuss instead. (And yes, I realize there were chest clip issues in those photos. Ds' is too high and dd's is too low.)

ADS

bnsnyde

My son is only 46 lbs. The straps are above his shoulders, but not by much.
He just turned 5. (Oh, and he's 45 inches with a 16 torso).

I think next year when he turns 6 I'll give him a Frontier85 for his birthday!

I just figure why ride with straps below shoulders when I have another option. I am comfortable with him in it for the next year for sure.
We are also using SuperLatch. I'm OK with that, too. But I imagine he'll be close to or over 50 lbs. when we switch to the Frontier85 and seatbelt.

So for us, I feel the Frontier will be a good choice overall. (But, I should add, ONLY the Radian will likely fit in the current seating position). So I have some logistical stuff to think about. (We have 3/4 of the bench folded down and the Radian fits perfectly!). If I put the bench up all the way, he has no way to get into the van short of climbing over the back bench. Doable but NOT ideal. :)

And I can hand down his seat.

NVMBR02

My DS is 46 inches and 39 pounds and fits in the Radian with his shoulders over the top slot. He is not at all comfortable in it and I wont make him ride in it.

DD1 is 50 inches, 42 pounds and *just* fits. She has less than an inch before her ears at are the top. She is also not comfortable in the seat and will not ride in it (she hasn't ridden in it for over 18 months)

No way either of them will fit at 50 pounds. I doubt they will fit at 45 pounds.

christineka

Not to be rude, but I find it is difficult to accurately predict childrens' future sizes. For this thread, I would like to discuss children who currently weigh 50 pounds or more. We're discussing the sk/diono radian and I'd like to go by their rules. This may be hypothetical or not, whether a 50+ pound kid will fit the seat by sk/diono's specifications. (My ds was on the top slots of the radian 3 years ago when he only weighed 42 pounds. I could have predicted that he'd outgrow the seat by 50 pounds, but according to the rules, he has not.)

Jessica61624

My 8 yr old brother is 56 lbs. I'm not sure on overall height. But he's got growing room in the frontier. He's a short kid. His shoulders are at the head wings in my XTSL. No way could he use it as a booster.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The child I babysit is over 50 lbs. I don't know her exact weight, I just know she's grown since I weighed her last, and she was 50 lbs then (my only scale at the house is for infants and toddlers only goes up to 44 lbs). She is still comfortable in the Radian XTSL. Her shoulders are at the top slots, but not above. There is room still between her ears and the top of the shell. She is the dark haired child in this picture.

picture.php

I don't see how the one with head wings would be very useable if she got much taller, but I suppose if I were using the new one that's the equivalent of the 80SL I would probably convert to using it as a booster once her shoulders went above the top slots. Because I'm not terribly comfortable with the "above the top slots" rule. As it is, she'll be using the RSTV when her shoulders exceed the Radian's top slots. The child in the RSTV in the picture is not often in my care; I got the RSTV for the dark-haired girl.

CrazyBoysMamma

My oldest still fits with their "ears under the top of the shell" rule, his shoulders are about half an inch over the top slot, he's 63 lbs. When I first got Radians he was just at or a little above the next to last slot (so using the top one) and he was 54 lbs. My middle son is, I believe 47 lbs. and has quite a bit of room to grow, probably another year to year and a half worth, but his weight gain is beyond unpredictable, he'll go 2 years gaining maybe a pound, then gain 6 in 2 weeks.

Jan06twinmom

My DS outgrew the Radian by height and weight at the same time. He was 65lbs and 48 or 49in tall when he outgrew the seat. At the time, his shoulders were right at or maybe a tiny bit over the top harness slots.

Melanie

mkmama

My 54 lb 6 year old still fits the Radian and will for awhile, especially if I allow him to use it once his shoulders are above the top slots...he uses it on occassion now when I dont have other children in it. However, he does not like the XTSL model because the wings are uncomfortable for him, but he loves the 80SL model. He's right around 49" tall, but has a torso length of 16-16.5" (he was wiggling while I was measuring)...his shoulders are still well below the top slots.

Pixels

After the other thread, I'm just curious how many 50+ pound kids are currently in radians or would fit according to the rule stating the seat is outgrown by 53 inches or ears to the top of the shell and shoulders may be above the top slots.

If you're trying to figure out how many kids could use the Diono Radians as a booster, you should use the rules for outgrowing Diono Radians - 57 inches or ears to top of the shell.

luckyclov

Here's my DD in an 80SL last month-ish. She's 7 years old, 47.5" and 57-58 lbs. Her shoulders are level with the last harness slot. As you can see, there's a few inches before the tops of her ears are level with the top of the shell, but I, *personally*, am not comfortable allowing the harness straps to fall below her shoulders, so *by my personal standards*, she has pretty much outgrown the seat. But by SKJP/Diono's standards, she still has growing room.

RN-1-1.jpg

cmm7

Z is 58 lbs and a smidge under the top harness slots. I know she has room above her ears but don't have a picture and can't remember how much.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
DS isn't currently in a Radian, but he used a Radian65 (to accommodate a 3-across in my car) until just before he turned 9. He was 64 lbs. and 53" when he turned 9, so I'd say he maxed it out as much as humanly possible. :p

Rdn3.jpg

Mags462

Here's my DD in an 80SL last month-ish. She's 7 years old, 47.5" and 57-58 lbs. Her shoulders are level with the last harness slot. As you can see, there's a few inches before the tops of her ears are level with the top of the shell, but I, *personally*, am not comfortable allowing the harness straps to fall below her shoulders, so *by my personal standards*, she has pretty much outgrown the seat. But by SKJP/Diono's standards, she still has growing room.

RN-1-1.jpg

I think that is the most awesome mad-face i have ever seen! ;)

mommyfrog

I have two kids who still "fit" in the Radian by Diono's rules and also a niece and nephew who fit and are all over 50 pounds. My 6.5 year old dd is 54 pounds and just a tiny bit over the top slot, ears still well below the shell.My 8.5 year old is 60 pounds and is about an inch over the top slot and his ears are still below the top of the shell, not sure by how much. My niece and nephew are both 56 pounds and just over the top slots, ears still well within the shell. None of them are overweight for their height. They are just solidly built kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC