Do I say something?

Ellie173

Hi!
My cousin just posted a pic of her daughter in a Century car seat on Facebook. Her daughter is 6 or 7 (give or take a year) and has severe special needs (just learned to walk a year ago and still only says words a baby would know). So that said she will be in a car seat for life probably. She is tiny but looks to be over the top slots. Do I say something? I don't see her but once a year if that and her daughter is still very small but at least chest clip was up and harness looked super tight. Any suggestions on a tactful way to tell her to get a new seat? Thank you! You all have been a great resource!

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

What about sending her a message along the lines of...

I know it must be difficult to find a harnessed carseat to fit X, but you are doing an awesome job keeping her safe! Has she just recently grown to where her shoulders are above the harness? I can help recommend a few seats that should last her quite a bit longer if you'd like.

Something like that?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
It's also worth noting that all Century car seats (with the possible exception of one newly-released Graco seat that they're using the Century name on :rolleyes:) are expired by now.

Another way to broach the topic might be to say something like "Did you know that xyz? I just read that at abc site and had no idea."

Brigala

CPST Instructor
How are your cousin's finances? Maybe she's having trouble affording anything.

Could you maybe afford to gift her one of the Target sale My Ride seats? Tell her you saw her child seemed to be outgrowing the one he had, and you thought it was about time to send him a present.

Ellie173

Ok! Thank you for all the suggestions. I am the youngest cousin and in college but have learned car seating from here and nanny job (so don't think I can afford anything). She lives off her father who has become unwilling to buy them much else. Would the myride last long? I would love to give suggestions to her. Not sure whether they have considered insurance. How does that work? She will probably never be out of a seat.
Or do I just go above her and tell her dad? Would the Frontier be a good long lasting seat? How is that as an SN seat?
You all are so helpful! Thank you! :)
Oh also the Babies R Us thing, is that still going on?

cmcki737

Babies r us trade event is still going on and you would call the insurance company to find out about seat coverage.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The My Ride is often suggested as a special needs seat because it's pretty reclined forward-facing. If the child has good muscle control, however, something like a Frontier would last longer.

I think I would talk to her and just ask if she needs help figuring out what seat to put him in next (since you aren't in a position to buy one for her). Then I'd pop over to the Special Needs / Other Transportation forum and ask there about various options and insurance. It should get the attention of people who know more about that kind of stuff.

The My Ride would last a LOT longer than any old Century seat. So if she has $100 to plunk down on something now, that's what I'd suggest. After that she can work on finding funding for a special needs seat to last for the long term.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC