Primo Viaggio on a bike

SwingMom

Has anyone ever seen one of these???

http://www.babybike.nl/eng6.html

It is a rack mount system that allows the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio to attach securely to the back rack on your bicycle. The child is secured into the car seat, 5 pt harness, SIP and all. As the child grows her head goes beyond the top of the seat shell and legs stick out further, but apparently the whole thing has been approved in the EU for its safety, and that is pretty difficult, from what I have heard.

Just seems so comfy for the kiddo, and strikes me as potentially safer than the standard child bike carriers.

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
This is the picture in the link
7bouke_300_th.JPG

I didn't see anything about a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio in there, did I just miss it :confused: If this is the picture, I think I would perfer a bike trailer, at least then there is shelter and the child is enclosed inside of the trailer.

PS
I noticed your siggy picture very cute!
Love your cowmoo seat :love: And your little one is such a cutie :love: Are the harness straps above her shoulders? It's hard to tell in the picture. For RF you want the straps to be at or below the shoulders and the chest clip to be at armpit level.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I'd rather just use a bike trailer... Yikes.... I'm not fond of having my child sitting on my bike like that...

Morganthe

At least the kid is rear facing :shrug-shoulders: ;)

I can see where this would help the bike balance more sturdier. The heavier part of the child --torso -- is next to the biker centering the weight instead of leaving dead space and making the back end tippy.

I'm not one for bike trailers unless I have a specific bike trail that has no vehicular traffic. Netherlands has a lot of bikers on regular roads with cars & curbs to maneuver. I always prefered my child & pets to sit on the back of my bike. It's so much safer. I almost lost both of my dogs to cars on a roadway outside Maastricht and they were on leashes at heel. No sidewalks and no shoulder to walk on.
I wouldn't trust the drivers to see a trailer that sits lower than a bike even with a flag on the back. It only takes one car to drive over the trailer to kill my child. :(

SwingMom

Sorry, the Babybike website is so convoluted I was just looking to link to a picture that showed what the thing loooked like.

I'm going to try riding with a friend's bike trailer loaded with books or something, but still think I will prefer to have her on board the bike. Depends whether I can control the extra weight back there, though. The center of gravity on my bike is extremely low. I plan to strap 30lbs on the rack for a ride as well to see how that works.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Yes, but at least w/a bike trailer, if you fall over, your poor kid doesn't. I had someone walking in front of me do a quick uturn before I had the chance to move over(I was starting to move over to go around her and she suddenly turned) and sent me to the ground and my bike running into her. Thankfully it was way before my son was even thought of, so he wasn't hurt. But I was, and I lost the tiny diamond in my wedding ring. :(

Morganthe

I've biked with a specially made smaller trailer for carrying either cargo or small dogs. Within 6 months, I ended up flipping it on its side twice because the hitch messed up on a corner or I touched a curb. Not sure which. Dogs ended up terrified & shaken, but ok. DH never had the same problem, but his bike was so much taller and there was more space.

Me personally, I'd just rather have dd on the back of my bike. The last time I ditched a bike was when I was 19 and my front tire blew out. I think I was going around 25mph. Still have scars on my knees. But I've always carried heavy (BOOKS!) or shifting loads on the back end of my bike (2 dogs = 35lbs) and I'm quite comfortable with it. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC