Best Seat for a Small 4 yo with down syndrome, want to keep RF if possible

angels2me

Hi..
Im new to board but not to carseats, just been a few years since Ive had to buy one. My kids are18, 17, 15 , 12 1/2. We are adopting a little guy internationally and would like to have carseat installed before we travel.
Dont know his exact size, wont until we get custody of him after court. But approximately 30 lbs and 35 inches, maybe little smaller. Kids with Down syndrome are normally smaller stature than same age counter parts.
I have narrowed it down to Radian XRT,( not crazy about price) a retiring Radian xlts, or true fit 670 and just deal with the booster as he gets closer to his size, have also thought about a nautilus or frontier but can rear face if he is as small as Ive been told he his.
ACC mom to
L 18 and making me a gma lookin at carseats herself
E 17,S 15 has her permit, A 12 1/2 my backseat driver and
soon to be E 4 wainting overseas, and Gma to be to Granbaby #1 2-18-2012

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would personally go with a retiring Radian. I don't think the booster feature of the new Radians is going to be useful for you at all; it's outgrown by height at the same time as the harness. The only feature on the new Radians that might be helpful would be the toddler "wedge" to help the seat install more upright when it's rear-facing, but that depends a lot on the slope of your vehicle seat whether you'd ever even need it or not. A seat that slopes a lot toward the seat bight (or seat crack) probably wouldn't need the wedge. The wedge may or may not become available separately in the future for use with the older Radians. So far the company hasn't said.

One of the reasons I'd go with a Radian over the True Fit is because you have so many other, older kids. You may find that when you pack everyone into your car you'll be more comfortable with the narrow Radian compared to the wider True Fit. Also, since you don't know the stats of the child yet for certain, you'd be risking the possibility that he's already too big for the 35 lb rear-facing limit on the True Fit; in which case you might as well have just gone straight to a Nautilus or Frontier and skipped the convertible all together. All that said, a True Fit is still a great seat and has many fans around here. So if that's what you decide to get, I think you'll still be happy with it.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
You might also consider a Graco MyRide, it has a nice natural recline that is often good for SN kids. My 37", 34lb 3.5 year old still fits RFing.

jenrose

Do be aware that kids with Down Syndrome may well be shorter than average, but a lot of their height is from torso length, so you really cannot judge outgrowing the seat by height alone, you REALLY need to pay attention to the butt-to-shoulder height.

We got caught by this when my 42 pound 42 inch kiddo suddenly outgrew her Boulevard, despite it being rated to 65 pounds and 49 inches. She's in a Frontier now, and we love it.

If he's over 33 pounds, I'd just go with the Frontier. It has a 9 year lifespan, and keeps them harnessed the longest of the conventional seats. The harness height is very good, and would have worked for a much shorter child.

Under 30 pounds, I really do like the Britax Boulevard. It offers a ton of support, which for a low-tone kiddo can be very helpful, and the on-the-fly harness adjustment was very helpful. Shiny was rear facing to about 33-34 pounds... but she outgrew the seat at 42 pounds. She was in a Boulevard for a total of about 4 years. The Radian we had offered MUCH less support, we used it a handful of times, it just was not as comfortable for her as the Boulevard.

(Shiny has a chromosome issue that has in common with Down Syndrome very short arms and legs and a very long torso despite short stature.)

jenrose

OH the other thing... I saw in your siggy your daughter is looking for infant carseats... I'm due in December and just got a Safety 1st Onboard 35 for $88 from Overstock... it was by far the best bargain I found anywhere for a 35 pound infant seat.

Evolily

My three year old neighbor has DS :) . He is short for his age, but he is also heavy (I pick him up regularly) with a long torso. I would look at the maxi cosi pria, safety 1st complete air, sunshine kids radian, graco my ride, and evenflo triumph 65. I would not consider a seat with less than a 40 lb rear facing weight limit. I believe there is a medical condition many DS kids have that has prompted other parents of kids with DS to choose higher weight Swedish seats (importing) in the past. But I really do not know all of the details.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC