what SUV will fit my 3 car seats across?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And it's a LATCH approved position (not the middle of your Infiniti, for instance), and you're comfortable with it.

Wendy

ADS

ballfam

Thank you, you all are wonderful! loving learning all this new information, it will be very helpful when we get our new cars/suvs

wavegal

I wouldn't rule out the pilot, I drive one and have gotten an assortment of wide seats across my middle row, including the britax frontier85, boulevard70 and chaperone. its just putting the seats in the right positions in the car.

ballfam

Thank you very much! We will be checking out the new 2012 Pilot for sure. I guess my best option is to take my 3 seats to each dealer and see how well they all fit!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Re: the Pilot, there is a link in my signature to a huge photo thread I did of my Pilot. It's an '06, but I think the second rows are pretty similar, save that the '12 is going to have three sets of LATCH instead of my two. :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I had a MDX when I had three kids. I got it when they were 6, 2 and a few weeks old newborn. It was doable and I could fit practically any combination three across the middle row but I wouldn't do it again. I loved the car A LOT but often times it really sucked not having a lot of room with all those kids. Then when I wanted to spread them out and use the third row I had to deal with limited cargo room and with the fact that getting the kid back there was a pain since I had to fold down a seat.
We now have four kids and a Yukon XL which works great for us. We always have enough cargo room (except for our last trip to Costco where we had 3 carts worth of stuff:cool:) and with the middle row captains chairs all the kids can walk back to the third row if that is where they are sitting.
We have my mom in town right now and it is nice to have so many options for how to arrange everyone in the car and not have to worry about her being smashed (she sits in one of the captains chairs).

D

drmom8

Can you clarify a few things for me? I have a 2.5year old daughter (30#) and am expecting twins. My husband and I tried to latch all three car seats in our 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor and 2004 Honda Accord and couldnt' physically get two car seats to latch onto 1 latch (both cars have 4 latches). So our questions are:
1. Should/can my daughter's car seat (Britax Boulevard) be belted in instead of latch, is this as safe as latched?
2. If we find a car that we can get two car seats to latch onto same latch, is this okay or does that exceed the weight limit for the latch? If it is 40# per latch, does that mean my 30# daughter has 15# on each latch and the newborn twins will add half their weight to each latch?
3. The Buick Lacrosse has 5 latches but one is larger, can I assume this weight limit is higher on that latch since it appears to be designed to hold 2 car seats?
4. What other cars have 6 latches across? The only ones I have seen are Acura MDX and Honda Pilot.
5. Does anyone have a Buick Enclave with a bench in 2nd row? None of dealerships around me do and no one can tell me how many latch hooks are in the 2nd row.
Thank you!

kirst

you cannot have two carseats on one latch. in my accord there are two sets, one for both outboard seats and you cannot borrow the latch anchors therefore you can not uses latch to install in the center. my accord is a 2007 so the amount of sets of latches my be diffrent. using a seat belt is just as safe as using the anchors. the fourty lb weight limit would mean when your child is fourty lbs you need to use the seatbelt to install. since it only allowes one latch one each anchor you dont have to worry about adding weight from two kids.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Can you clarify a few things for me? I have a 2.5year old daughter (30#) and am expecting twins. My husband and I tried to latch all three car seats in our 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor and 2004 Honda Accord and couldnt' physically get two car seats to latch onto 1 latch (both cars have 4 latches). So our questions are:
1. Should/can my daughter's car seat (Britax Boulevard) be belted in instead of latch, is this as safe as latched?

As long as either one results in an acceptable fit, there should be no difference in safety.

2. If we find a car that we can get two car seats to latch onto same latch, is this okay or does that exceed the weight limit for the latch? If it is 40# per latch, does that mean my 30# daughter has 15# on each latch and the newborn twins will add half their weight to each latch?

I am not sure such a vehicle exists. In general, LATCH anchors are intended only for one carseat. There may be exceptions, of course.

3. The Buick Lacrosse has 5 latches but one is larger, can I assume this weight limit is higher on that latch since it appears to be designed to hold 2 car seats?

Unless specified in the owner's manual that it is OK, I would not assume you can attach two lower attachments onto the same anchor.

4. What other cars have 6 latches across? The only ones I have seen are Acura MDX and Honda Pilot.

I think some larger GM cars like Impala, Lucerne and STS had 3 pairs. The Pilot's corporate siblings, the Acura MDX, Honday Odyssey and Honda Ridgeline do also, at least in some recent versions.

There are also some vehicles with 5 lower anchors that allow you to use the center OR both sides, but you cannot use the center AND an adjacent side at the same time. The Honda CR-V comes to mind as an example. The Buick LaCrosse may be like this also.

5. Does anyone have a Buick Enclave with a bench in 2nd row? None of dealerships around me do and no one can tell me how many latch hooks are in the 2nd row.Thank you!

I am getting one tomorrow, coincidentally. I think it is only two, but I will verify if you remind me!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Enclave trim I received is a 7-seater with two captain's chairs in the second row, not a bench. Sorry!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC