Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: what SUV will fit my 3 car seats across?

And it's a LATCH approved position (not the middle of your Infiniti, for instance), and you're comfortable with it.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Thank you, you all are wonderful! loving learning all this new information, it will be very helpful when we get our new cars/suvs

I wouldn't rule out the pilot, I drive one and have gotten an assortment of wide seats across my middle row, including the britax frontier85, boulevard70 and chaperone. its just putting the seats in the right positions in the car.
    L 12/08 riding in a Zebra FR90 52lbs 48in
    J 12/11 riding rfing in a Laguna G4 BLVD 28lbs 35in

A 10/14 riding in a SS1!

Thank you very much! We will be checking out the new 2012 Pilot for sure. I guess my best option is to take my 3 seats to each dealer and see how well they all fit!

Re: the Pilot, there is a link in my signature to a huge photo thread I did of my Pilot. It's an '06, but I think the second rows are pretty similar, save that the '12 is going to have three sets of LATCH instead of my two.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

great thank you! any other experience with mid-size suv's fitting 3 across for me to look into I would appreciate it.

I had a MDX when I had three kids. I got it when they were 6, 2 and a few weeks old newborn. It was doable and I could fit practically any combination three across the middle row but I wouldn't do it again. I loved the car A LOT but often times it really sucked not having a lot of room with all those kids. Then when I wanted to spread them out and use the third row I had to deal with limited cargo room and with the fact that getting the kid back there was a pain since I had to fold down a seat.
    We now have four kids and a Yukon XL which works great for us. We always have enough cargo room (except for our last trip to Costco where we had 3 carts worth of stuff) and with the middle row captains chairs all the kids can walk back to the third row if that is where they are sitting.
    We have my mom in town right now and it is nice to have so many options for how to arrange everyone in the car and not have to worry about her being smashed (she sits in one of the captains chairs).

thank you!!

drmom8

Can you clarify a few things for me? I have a 2.5year old daughter (30#) and am expecting twins. My husband and I tried to latch all three car seats in our 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor and 2004 Honda Accord and couldnt' physically get two car seats to latch onto 1 latch (both cars have 4 latches). So our questions are:
    1. Should/can my daughter's car seat (Britax Boulevard) be belted in instead of latch, is this as safe as latched?
    2. If we find a car that we can get two car seats to latch onto same latch, is this okay or does that exceed the weight limit for the latch? If it is 40# per latch, does that mean my 30# daughter has 15# on each latch and the newborn twins will add half their weight to each latch?
    3. The Buick Lacrosse has 5 latches but one is larger, can I assume this weight limit is higher on that latch since it appears to be designed to hold 2 car seats?
    4. What other cars have 6 latches across? The only ones I have seen are Acura MDX and Honda Pilot.
    5. Does anyone have a Buick Enclave with a bench in 2nd row? None of dealerships around me do and no one can tell me how many latch hooks are in the 2nd row.
    Thank you!

you cannot have two carseats on one latch. in my accord there are two sets, one for both outboard seats and you cannot borrow the latch anchors therefore you can not uses latch to install in the center. my accord is a 2007 so the amount of sets of latches my be diffrent. using a seat belt is just as safe as using the anchors. the fourty lb weight limit would mean when your child is fourty lbs you need to use the seatbelt to install. since it only allowes one latch one each anchor you dont have to worry about adding weight from two kids.

Quote Originally Posted by drmom8 View Post
    Can you clarify a few things for me? I have a 2.5year old daughter (30#) and am expecting twins. My husband and I tried to latch all three car seats in our 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor and 2004 Honda Accord and couldnt' physically get two car seats to latch onto 1 latch (both cars have 4 latches). So our questions are:
    1. Should/can my daughter's car seat (Britax Boulevard) be belted in instead of latch, is this as safe as latched?
    As long as either one results in an acceptable fit, there should be no difference in safety.

2. If we find a car that we can get two car seats to latch onto same latch, is this okay or does that exceed the weight limit for the latch? If it is 40# per latch, does that mean my 30# daughter has 15# on each latch and the newborn twins will add half their weight to each latch?
    I am not sure such a vehicle exists. In general, LATCH anchors are intended only for one carseat. There may be exceptions, of course.

3. The Buick Lacrosse has 5 latches but one is larger, can I assume this weight limit is higher on that latch since it appears to be designed to hold 2 car seats?
    Unless specified in the owner's manual that it is OK, I would not assume you can attach two lower attachments onto the same anchor.

4. What other cars have 6 latches across? The only ones I have seen are Acura MDX and Honda Pilot.
    I think some larger GM cars like Impala, Lucerne and STS had 3 pairs. The Pilot's corporate siblings, the Acura MDX, Honday Odyssey and Honda Ridgeline do also, at least in some recent versions.

There are also some vehicles with 5 lower anchors that allow you to use the center OR both sides, but you cannot use the center AND an adjacent side at the same time. The Honda CR-V comes to mind as an example. The Buick LaCrosse may be like this also.

5. Does anyone have a Buick Enclave with a bench in 2nd row? None of dealerships around me do and no one can tell me how many latch hooks are in the 2nd row.Thank you!
    I am getting one tomorrow, coincidentally. I think it is only two, but I will verify if you remind me!

The Enclave trim I received is a 7-seater with two captain's chairs in the second row, not a bench. Sorry!