Question Convertible car seat for tall baby - Nissan Altima Hybrid (2007)

U

Unregistered

We're trying to be a bit more careful with our car seat selection than we were with our last one. We had a graco snugride (22 lb limit) and it was a pain to install, and became loose every couple of trips in our car - we had this problem only in our car, a Nissan Altima Hybrid (2007 model) and not in taxis or my parent's Toyotas. We upgraded to a Graco Snugride 35 with the lockoff, which has been great.

My daughter is quickly on her way to outgrowing the seat - she was 30.5 inches at her 9 month appointment. She's 11 months now, and she's probably kissing the 32" limit. Does anyone have experience with Altimas? We're looking for an easy to install car seat; we'll be installing in different cars when we travel. If it is easy to haul through an airport somehow, that's a plus, too. We're open to all price ranges, but if we're going to pay top $$ I'd like for it to be able to last as long as my daughter needs a seat! She is average weight, in case that matters.

ADS

Albagail

Bumping this for you so hopefully someone familiar with your car will have some recommendations for you, and also to say that just because your daughter has reached 32 inches doesn't necessarily mean she's outgrown her current seat. It is safe to continue using as long as she has at least one inch of car seat shell above her head, so you may have more (or less!) time left with it than you thought. There's a great thread somewhere that shows exactly how to measure the shell above your child's head, but I don't think I can post links from my phone. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can link to it for you, as well as recommend new seats if your current one is indeed outgrown.

Jocey'sMommy

well if easy tight installations are what you are looking for the Britax convertibles are well known for user friendliness is ALL vehicles, sorry I don't know the specifics of you car :(

jess71903

Ambassador
Is the '07 Hybrid the same as a regular '06 on the inside? If so, then that's what my DH has, and I find it to be pretty car seat friendly.

I currently have a MyRide installed RF in his car. I find that I need to get behind it and push into the seatback instead of just down to get it so it won't rock. It's easy, though. It has a 40lb RF limit, and a decently tall shell for RF, but it isn't the tallest seat out there.

I also have a True Fit that I've used both rear and forward facing in his car. I LOVE this seat altogether, but especially in his car. It's low to the seat, so I can kind of just drop DD into her seat without worrying about bonking her head. It's got a much taller shell than the MyRide or just about anything else (exceptions are the Complete Air and Radian). It's great FF in that car, too. It only has a 35lb RF weight limit, so if your goal is rear-facing to 3 or 4, you might check your daughter's growth curve to try to guess how long she'll have. My chunky-monkey son rear-faced in it until he was 2.5, when I got a Radian, and I think he was just under 35lbs until he was nearly 3.

I am 99% sure the Radian was a good fit RF in the Altima with LATCH. I didn't use it RF in that car, so I don't know if the slipping Super Latch would be a problem or not. The LATCH anchors are so buried in the seat that I think it would have been okay, but I can't attest to that. I think I also got a good seatbelt install, but IIRC, the buckle stalks had to be twisted a full 3 turns. It does install nicely FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC