3 seat line up

U

Unregistered

Hi,
Come January we'll have a new born...so I need the 3 narrowest seats to fit in my Wife's Liberty.

The 5 year old would like to ride in the middle (to be near the newborn). So her booster would need to stay fastened in (as I don't want to have to mess with it everytime I put her in) and have its own belts.

What do you recommend?

I have read through the site, but thought a direct question would yield a better combination of seats than I'd pick.
Thanks for the help.

5 yr old, 45lbs, 45 in
3 yr old, 27 lbs, 35 in
newborn

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
What are the current seats that you have for your 5 & 3 yr olds? Do you want all new seats or do you want to keep using the ones you have for them? If you want to get all new seats, you could get Radians for the 5 & 3 yr olds and that would leave plenty of space to get just about any infant seat you want (the Graco SafeSeat and Chicco Keyfit are 2 great choices). I'm not sure that your 5 yr old would last very long in a Radian, though. Can you measure their torso heights? Sit them on the floor and measure their shoulder height. That will help determine how much growing room they (your 5 yr old, especially) will have in different seats.
Also, is your 3 yr old still rear facing?

scatterbunny

So you're wanting a harnessed seat for the 5yo, not a booster seat? A booster seat just sits on the vehicle seat, not LATCHED or buckled, then the child sits in it and the vehicle belt gets buckled over her.

Keeping her in a harnessed seat longer would make things easier because trying to cram your hand between two seats to buckle a booster up can be difficult, not something you want to do every single day, all day. ;)

I think a Radian is your best choice for the 5yo, probably the only harnessed seat on the market that will fit three-across AND still give her any growing room, heightwise.

For the 3yo, who could still be rear-facing, I'd go with a Radian as well. It can rear-face to 33 pounds (which is safer than forward-facing) and should fit well with the Radian for bigger kid.

The Chicco Key Fit is a great infant seat, narrow and easy to use.

T

tsltrek

*I'm the OP (I had to register to reply).*

Thanks for the replies.
Currently we have the EB Alpha-Omega (bought for its cool factor, we don't like plaid) and the matching infant carrier.

Our 5 yo is on a backless Graco booster (not sure what model, but its nothing fancy).

I'm happy to scrap them to get some narrow seats for easy fitting.
I'm definitely thinking a seat with harness for the 5 yr old so we're not jamming our hands down between them.

I'll have to get back to you on torso measurements.
Thanks again.

scatterbunny

Yep, the AO is not a narrow seat, probably a good idea to scrap that one. ;) And the backless booster isn't as safe as a highback booster, and neither are as safe as a five point harness, so it's great that you're willing to do that. It's a bonus that it's more convenient to deal with harnesses on top of a child instead of buckling a seatbelt each trip.

The Radian is MUCH narrower than the AO and even narrower than most boosters, so it's an awesome seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC