Good install HORRIBLE accident

Melizerd

This accident happened on I-75 in Georgia. The woman driving the vehicle was killed. There was no child in the seat at the time of the accident.

The cover was ripped from the seat during the accident and can be seen in the lower left hand corner of the picture.

Warning these might be disturbing to some (all) of us.

Please keep the family in your thoughts.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/melickit/Misc pics/accident2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/melickit/Misc pics/accident1.jpg

ETA: Additional info so people don't have to read all the posts
It WAS a Honda Civic.

It wasn't her fault and it wasn't the big rig's fault either.

Some A** cut her off and pushed her into oncoming traffic.

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_137101424.html
http://www.ledgernews.com/Archives/0...eeklynews.html
Scroll down on the second link.

Last edited:
ADS

lovinwaves

Now a baby is mommyless :( :( :(

That seat looks like my old Graco Comfortsport. If so, it had the cover that could come on and off with velcro without taking the harness straps apart. There must have been some pretty incredible forces working to have ripped that cover off. If the baby could have survived the forces it looks like they might have had a chance to live.

Incredible photos, thanks for sharing... Do you have any more info on the accident, or any links?

-Melissa-

Melizerd

I got it from another board with a woman who is an emergency worker. I'll try and find out if she knows what kind of car it was.

southpawboston

while i can't be certain just from looking at the pics, it appears as though that tractor trailer rear-ended the car. that angers me to no end. i mean, i know that truck drivers are *generally* better, safer drivers than automobile drivers, but they have to be *extra* careful... there's no chance for survival if a tractor trailer crushes a car. at least if a car rear-ends another car, there's a very good chance of survival. truck drivers really do need to be much safer than car drivers.

Loves2sing

while i can't be certain just from looking at the pics, it appears as though that tractor trailer rear-ended the car. that angers me to no end. i mean, i know that truck drivers are *generally* better, safer drivers than automobile drivers, but they have to be *extra* careful... there's no chance for survival if a tractor trailer crushes a car. at least if a car rear-ends another car, there's a very good chance of survival. truck drivers really do need to be much safer than car drivers.

I know what you mean, and I agree. However, we don't know if the woman in the car had cut him off giving him no time to stop. This is an unfortunate common occurance. I hope this is the case, even though this is a tragic accident, I hope that the woman was at fault, because the truck driver would not have to live with the knowledge that he orphaned a poor child. My prayers are with this family.

Suzibeck

OH MY!:eek:

How sad for that family!

That carseat is in amazing shape for the condition of the car it is strapped into.

I've only seen one other car crushed that badly before and it was also a car tail ended by a semi, just a few blocks from our house. In that case, the car had stopped in the middle of the highway with no lights on at 2 in the morning or something like that. The truck didn't see the car until it was too late.

amyg530

this might sound morbid but it would have been great if there was a child in that seat and they survived. now i say this b/c that picture would then be an amazing example of how important car seats are

Laurenc0101

Unfortunately, a similar accident happened near my home recently. A eight-month pregnant woman and her fetus were killed in an accident on the interstate and left behind two children (inclunding a seven-year old that was also in the vehicle at the time of the crash). It did involve an 18-wheeler, but their investigation is not complete. They believe he was unable to stop for congested traffic.

I am not defending any at-fault drivers, but I do really see a lot of drivers driving dangerously around big trucks. These trucks do take longer to stop. I see drivers cut in front of them and stop. I see people driving in their blind spots. And just today, no matter how much the truck tried to maintain a safe distance, cars and trucks were pulling in front of him to catch an exit.

I hope and pray for comfort and peace for this family in their time of tragic loss :(

Mom2nj

That is a horrible picture, so sorry for the family. My father is a truck driver and one day he said to me. "You know that I leave the extra space between me and the car in front of me, just so the other car can drive in there." While we don't know the circumstances, it is very common for cars to cut semi's off.

ThreeBeans

I remember my father taught me something very basic about passing another vehicle. He told me, until you can see both headlights and the side of the car you are passing, in your REARVIEW MIRROR (not the side view), without shifting or moving your head in any way, you are too close. But if you can see both head lights and the whole side of the car/truck you are passing in your rearview, it's safe to pass.

I've always followed his advice and never cut anyone off.

supercrunch

I know what you mean, and I agree. However, we don't know if the woman in the car had cut him off giving him no time to stop. This is an unfortunate common occurance. I hope this is the case, even though this is a tragic accident, I hope that the woman was at fault, because the truck driver would not have to live with the knowledge that he orphaned a poor child. My prayers are with this family.

That same sort of accident happened here last week. A cabriolet convertible with 5 teenage girls was on the highway...started to change lanes, and then came back over...right into the path of an 18 wheeler. The skid marks from the 18 wheeler trying to stop are just amazing. He tried, but you just can't make something that big stop on short notice.
4 of the girls were killed in that accident :(

scatterbunny

I do really see a lot of drivers driving dangerously around big trucks. These trucks do take longer to stop. I see drivers cut in front of them and stop. I see people driving in their blind spots. And just today, no matter how much the truck tried to maintain a safe distance, cars and trucks were pulling in front of him to catch an exit.

I see it all the time, too. I live in a logging/dairy farming community so there are always log trucks and milk trucks on the roads. People don't give them the space they need. People are just ignorant to the fact that big rigs need more room to stop, they have bigger blind spots, etc.

Driving in the city scares me even more. Everyone's going faster than 60mph, there are multiple lanes in which idiots cut across without signaling, and without enough space they squeeze in front of someone else. Add a few big rigs to the mix and it's just SCARY to me. I avoid it whenever possible.

My heart goes out to this poor family, whether the driver was at fault or not, there is a mother, father, aunts, uncles, grandparents, brothers, sisters and kids grieving a huge loss. :(

oxeye

I remember my father taught me something very basic about passing another vehicle. He told me, until you can see both headlights and the side of the car you are passing, in your REARVIEW MIRROR (not the side view), without shifting or moving your head in any way, you are too close. But if you can see both head lights and the whole side of the car/truck you are passing in your rearview, it's safe to pass.

I've always followed his advice and never cut anyone off.

That's what I do as well.

That is such a sad accident regardless of who was at fault. :( The seat definitely looks like a Comfortsport too.

Loves2sing

My heart goes out to this poor family, whether the driver was at fault or not, there is a mother, father, aunts, uncles, grandparents, brothers, sisters and kids grieving a huge loss. :(

ITA, all I meant was that at least if the woman was at fault, then the driver wouldn't have that awful guilt for the rest of his life. Of course this is a completley tragic event regardless of who was at fault. Not only that, but then the mourning family would not have to live with the bitterness of blaming the truck driver as well. KWIM? I wish that this accident, as well as all others wouldn't happen at all.

mominabigtruck

I wonder if anyone has a link to the actual news story. There has to have been another vehicle involved because if a truck had just run over it you would be able to see more damage to the semi in the second picture. It almost looks like it got stuck between two vehicles.

Melizerd

I'm trying to find out from the OP that gave me the pictures and little info I did get. I've tried looking for the actual article with no luck. DH and I have been looking for about an hour (lol).

IF/When I get the WHOLE story I'll post it :D I'm hoping the OP can give it to me because she's an emergency worker.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC