DH almost bought a mighty tight!

hunypooh77

Until I yelled at him and told him the baby would NOT be riding in his seat with that thing on the base! We cant get the base of the KF to stay tight in Dh's truck no matter what we do so he figured that would work :thumbsdown:

ADS

gsdguenter

Whew, good save on your part!

How do your seat belts lock? What kind of truck is it and which seating position? Perhaps we can give you some help :thumbsup:

hunypooh77

Whew, good save on your part!

How do your seat belts lock? What kind of truck is it and which seating position? Perhaps we can give you some help :thumbsup:

Its a 2004 F250 crew cab. The base is installed in the passenger OB seat, the seatbelt has a locking retractor. Dh, who is 235 lbs put his knees on the base and pulled as tight as he could (the seat is pretty squished under it too) and it still moves a good 2 inches side to side after a few days. :confused:
We were thinking of switching it to the center seat and moving Dd's Fr85 to that seat to see if we could get it tighter there, but the Fr85 was a huge PITA to install the first time! LOL

christineka

If you have the belt correctly in the lockoff, the belt should not loosen. I suggest finding a good cpst to help you out.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right. The yellow/orange slot on the shoulder belt side only. Push the seatbelt toward the backseat until it stops.

Wendy

rxmommy

I would call Chicco. I've read reports of the lockoffs loosening and you may have a defective one. In the meantime could you use it baseless?

hunypooh77

I would call Chicco. I've read reports of the lockoffs loosening and you may have a defective one. In the meantime could you use it baseless?

Its the KF22 so its a bit hard to use baseless...I might switch it with the one in my Explorer since that one is installed with LATCH and see if there is a difference.

Dorothy

hunypooh77 said:
Its the KF22 so its a bit hard to use baseless...I might switch it with the one in my Explorer since that one is installed with LATCH and see if there is a difference.

Can I ask why its hard to use baseless? I always thought my KF22 was pretty easy. Just flipped back the cover on the sides to reveal the belt path, tightened it and locked the seatbelt. Is there more to it?

Sent from my Eris using Car-Seat.Org. Ignore the Autocorrect...

creideamh

Can I ask why its hard to use baseless? I always thought my KF22 was pretty easy. Just flipped back the cover on the sides to reveal the belt path, tightened it and locked the seatbelt. Is there more to it?

I don't think it's hard per se, just an epic pain when you want to take the seat out and put it back in all the time.

Dorothy

Ah... I see. Had a slight panic that maybe I was doing it wrong.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
An F250 is exempt from having LATCH - vehicles weighing over 8500 lbs. are exempt. Some exempt models have LATCH any way, or top tether anchors but no lower LATCH anchors, but the larger Ford F-series pickups (F250/350/450/550 series) don't have lower LATCH anchors.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I would check your lock-offs. I started a thread a few weeks ago about my KF base loosening as well. Sure enough I checked the lock=offs and the one in us was looser than the other. I could easily slide a nickle into the slot while on the unused side I couldn't. I haven't contacted Chicco yet, but plan too.

ETA: Here's the thread I started: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=181325

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC