It's all in the details!

tjham

My 6 yr old granddaughter (38 lbs) is in a Radian, center back seat, in her dad's truck. He has a new girlfriend with a 7 yr old daughter (around 50 lbs) and a 9 yr old son. They don't use any kind of safety restraint but have those little seat belt adjusters that come with the car in their mom's vehicle. I asked my son to please use a booster (spare he already had) at least for the girl, when they rode in his truck. He did, for a 2 hr trip they took a few weeks ago.

We all just went to our cabin this weekend and I, of course, checked out his truck to see the seat arrangement (after we got there). I was surprised to see the Radian outboard and the spare Platinum Cargo also outboard. Eeeek! That would put the 9 yr old in the center which is a LAP BELT! Oh, my... I agonized over how to say something. AND... if my GD was in the Radian, that meant the 50 lb girl was harnessed in the 40 lb limit Cargo for a 2 1/2 hr drive!!!! I finally asked the GF (who is very nice BTW) who was in what seat. She said her daughter was in the Cargo. I told her about the limit and said, on the way home, to put my GD in the Cargo and hers in the Radian. She said OK. Then I hesitantly addressed the issue of the boy and how dangerous lap belts are. She said shyly, Oh he wasn't back there. They put the two dogs (60 lbs and 30 lbs) back there (in the middle) and the boy was in the FRONT middle lap belt. :eek:

I have told my son before how dangerous it is to have the dogs unrestrained in the vehicle, told him about lap belts, etc. And then all of this. I ended up moving the Radian back to the center and taking his dogs with me. They said they would put the boy in the back (but I wasn't able to see how the lap/shoulder belt fit him. I was already told before that a booster was not going to happen for him so he probably put the belt behind his back. :rolleyes:

I am just so saddened by all of this. My son is almost 30 and usually pretty smart about things. We get along really well. He has let me tell him what to do about my DGD's seat up to now. And he seems to be trying to do what he thinks I want (ex: using harnessed Cargo for girl) Even the new GF seems to be willing to go along with my quirks to a certain extent. :p

But things with these new kids are happening faster than I can control now or do anything about. I guess I'll keep plugging away, a little bit at a time. :(

ADS

JaRylan

It's hard when they are trying but are just not getting the whole picture. It's hard to think of what safety and install details might stick in someone's head when they are trying to arrange seating. I'm glad they are being good about it and that is wonderful that you were able to take the dogs...though I suppose that probably meant you had to ride with them loose in order to keep the kids safer.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My mom didn't "get" the unrestrained pet thing (he's well behaved you know :rolleyes:) till I showed her the video of the unrestrained driver flopping all around inside the vehicle -- it's in my website & sometime soon I'll be adding a blurb with links about Lap Only belts, etc.

tjham

Luckily, we have a pickup with a shell. We put all 4 dogs (theirs and ours) in the back. I have harnesses for my dogs that I use when I have DGD in my Expedition, but my husband thinks they are ridiculous :rolleyes: , so we use his truck and shell as much as possible.

And that's it. They are trying to please (or placate :D ) me! I cringe whenever I see that I have to say something else. I truly am not looking for things to gripe about but I'm afraid that's how it probably looks to them...:(

ThreeBeans

Back when we had our pup, we had a seatbelt for her. The carseat tech who installed DS' infant seat went NUTS when she saw it, she thought it was the best thing ever :D

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It sounds like you did a really good job "plugging away". Sometimes that's all we can do. Good job!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC