03 windstar

purplemama

So it's sitting in my driveway. We have it for a extended test drive till Tues. It's $5K and has 155,000 miles on it. Drives like a dream and I love how car seats install in it. BUT...... DH called the mechanic we go to and they are closing early today and closed tomorrow so they can't look at it but they guy had his wife look at some thing that lists what problems vehicles get most often and what came back was not pretty. I already had told DH that while the safety ratings were good, the reliability ratings weren't as good. So now he doesn't want it. But I keep trying to tell him that with a budget of around $5K it's not like there are a lot of options.
I forgot how scary buying a used car is. I really don't need this right now but we have no choice.
No point to this thread really. SIGH. :(

ETA: The drivers seatbelt is stiff and NASTY. Coated with years of who knows what spilled food and drink. It pulls out really hard and makes a horrible squeak. I did tell them that's a deal breaker with me, that I'll need that fixed, it's unsafe. It's weird that the seatbelt is like that, the rest of it is really clean and unworn looking. Even the drivers seat is really clean.

Last edited:
ADS

Jessica61624

It is really scary!! My mom bought an 01 used and had the transmition go out twice now since 03. I hope you get it looked at before you sign the papers.

Shanora

I have an 03 windstar and haven't had and real issues with it. I'm so done with the van thing though...lol

2BunniesMommy

I have an 03 Windstar in my driveway. I got it for about $5000. It has just over 90,000 miles on it. I can't wait until we are in a position to get rid of it.

Car seats do install pretty easy in it. I love the power sliding doors...when they work. It is still kinda pretty and doesn't look real worn for the age or miles.

So, what am I not loving?

Ever since the thread linked above I have parked in the driveway instead of the garage. Mine was not involved in the recall for the cruise control. But I am still worried that it could go up in flame. If it does, I wouldn't want it to take the house with it. It may be an irrational fear, but if it were to happen, I would have a lot of guilt. Just because it is not a recalled one, doesn't give me the peace of mind that it is ok. The poster on that thread had just had the recall repair done, IIRC.

Then there are the recalls for parts that can crack. I can't remember the name, but but some chassis part or something like that, that if it breaks it can cause an accident. Again, mine is not one that is recalled, but if other 03 Windstars have this problem, I don't trust mine not to. These recalls are based on if the van was sold in a state with a high chance of corrosion (like using salt on the roads.) Mine was sold in CA and as far as I know has only lived in Ca, yet it has rust in the wheels, so I don't trust that it doesn't have this defect also. So, we do not take it out of town anymore. If an accident were to happen at a lower speed, it would not be as bad, so no highway driving in it.

Then there are all the strange electrical things that they have no clue what the issue is. One of the sliding doors only working when it wants, sometimes not unlocking and other times being unlocked but won't open. There are the lights that come on whenever while driving, but not always when they are supposed to when you are getting in and out.

The light coming on to signal a door is open when none are. There is also the new weird thing, the radio keeps playing after the car is off and the door open. (used to keep playing even after it was off, but stopped when you opened a door.) Now I have to make sure to turn it off by hand and hope the battery doesn't wear down because who knows what else may still be going on.

I am thinking it may actually have other things going on, but I can't think of any others.

So, it seemed like a great deal in Feb 10 when we got it. It wasn't.

For a lower priced van that seems to be well liked, I would look at a 2006 or newer Kia Sedona. That is what I want if I can't ever afford an Ody.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We didn't pay much over $5000 for our 2002 Ody (with newly replaced transmission.) And it did wonderfully... Are you looking at dealers only, or private sellers? Private sellers may be more willing to work with you.

Shanora

Tori, the lights coming on and off has to do with the ignition switch, or at least thats what my DH figures cause when you jiggle the keys in the ignition the lights go on and off. We've had issues with the doors not locking when we are driving and the open door dashboard light being on for ever....until like 15-20+ minutes into a drive somewhere when the the doors lock and the light goes out... ???
Yeah small things we've had issues with....

I've had all the recalls fixed on my van to date. We still took it out of town.
The Van is almost 10 years old, I'm ready to trade mine in for something else. We are done having children so I figure its time.

But yeah.....

2BunniesMommy

Gonna have to try playing with the keys next time we go some where at night. What it did last night was the interior lights came on when we were at a stop sign, then turned off when we went. That was the first time I have ever noticed a pattern.

If mine were recalled and we had the recalls fixed I would feel a lot better. What bothers me is that is it not recalled but I still don't trust that is doesn't have the same problems and they just have figured out my VIN is involved.

Our Focus had lots of strange stuff going on with it as well and DHs 04 Freestar does too. For those of you who remember Ghostbusters, we just call it all "zool" (or zuel maybe).

rxmommy

If it was in the "rust belt" there's a big recall for some part....axle or something?? Yeah, I'm totally not up on the car technical terms most of the time. But if it was bought/driven in CA it probably doesn't qualify. I know of a friend who was without her van for a MONTH while they fixed the recall. Nightmare.

My best friend traded off a Windstar last year, I don't know what year but early 2000s. It was dying a slow death. It was a very safe van for them though, she rolled it and everyone walked away.

eta now I see you're in MI. I was looking at the other poster with the van in CA! duh!

Kel

We bought our 03 windstar brand new. It's got about 120,000 miles on it. Never any problems at all. It's been perfect! It was 98 degrees out today and my mom kept turning the air down because it's still ice cold. The heater is also realy hot.

There has been a couple of recalls on it, make sure their fixed first. Ford actually bought back many of the windstars due to the recall. The others they just fixed. You dont want to deal with that.

purplemama

Took it back today, told them no, we don't want it. The A/C worked fine yesterday morning but not in the evening. Just had a bad feeling overall about it. It made more and more funny noises the more we drove it. And when I asked the salesman if any recalls were fixed he said he couldn't get that info. Sorry, no thanks then.
We have lots of time to find something, so we'll just keep looking.

April

I'm on my second one and love it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Mine has been recalled several times, but the one for the axle was just an inspection and mine was fine. Its great for carseats, and is better than anything else in that price range, at least around here. A 2002 Oddy is around $10k here. The only vans in the $5k range here are the Montana/Venture and the Caravan. No thanks! Anyways, hope you find something you love. Its probably a good thing to follow your gut.
Posted via Mobile Device

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We bought our 03 windstar brand new. It's got about 120,000 miles on it. Never any problems at all. It's been perfect! It was 98 degrees out today and my mom kept turning the air down because it's still ice cold. The heater is also realy hot.

There has been a couple of recalls on it, make sure their fixed first. Ford actually bought back many of the windstars due to the recall. The others they just fixed. You dont want to deal with that.

That is not the experience that the member in the link posted above had. The heater and A/C are far from priority; not bursting into flames is.

OP, I think you made the right decision. I hope you find something that works for you :)

And congrats :love:

Catalytic

If you can find an Odyssey in your price range, in good condition, it's a nice van. I'm not a fan of Toyota right know, but the Sienna has had good safety ratings. Avoid the GM minivans like the plague.

I'm glad you took the Windstar back, not sure what year my aunt's is, but she has nonstop electrical problems with it.

KaliShanti

Oh I hate to read this post.. I have $5K to spend on a van that will need to buy within 2 months and yje windstar was one of my choices. :( What is a better choice for 5K? Noway are Odys going that little here.

Kel

Glad you took it back if you heard weird things.

As far as my last post, I never said air and heat were more inportant than safety. Just stating that my vans been great.

You cant guess witch vans going to go up in flames. It can happen to anything. My plymoth burned up within 2minutes of my husband unloading 2 of my boys from there carseats. Never a problem before with the van. There was nothing left of the boys carseat or any of the other van seats.

They were in an open field checking their hunting spot. Stoped and turn the van off. Got out. Walked about 30ft or so and my husband remembered his cell phone. When he turned back there were flames, and within minutes in was over.

I thank God every time I see the pics, that they just happend to stop and get out!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC