Multitech as a high-back booster until 36 kg?

khanbulgarski

I am thinking Multitech is exactly the same as Evolva 123. Its head support can probably extend as much as Evolva's. Then, is the weight of the Multitech the only thing that is preventing it to be used until 36 kg. as a booster? This quotation below is from a different thread, that is closed now but is also relevant here

An Isofix seat is tightly secured to chassi of car which means none of the weight of the HBB is moving forward pushing child in the back during a collision. Seat belt can of course handle any of these extra forces pushing forward but it's more force on the child.

Don't we actually want the booster seat to move forward as well in a side-impact, during pre-impact braking, as it will also move its side impact protection along with the child? Or the weight of the booster is more dangerous that the benefits of the SIP?

ADS

lenats31

I am thinking Multitech is exactly the same as Evolva 123. Its head support can probably extend as much as Evolva's. Then, is the weight of the Multitech the only thing that is preventing it to be used until 36 kg. as a booster? This quotation below is from a different thread, that is closed now but is also relevant here

Don't we actually want the booster seat to move forward as well in a side-impact, during pre-impact braking, as it will also move its side impact protection along with the child? Or the weight of the booster is more dangerous that the benefits of the SIP?

No you don´t. The more it can move the more the child and the seat will move uncontrolled forward. More uncontrolled movement means higher loads = higher risk of injury.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
In another thread, someone posted that there was a study that showed that boosters attached with lower anchors had higher abdominal loading than boosters using only the seatbelt. But that it was a benefit in side impacts. I'm going to try and find the thread.

ETA: okay, it was the Transport Canada testing so not study per se. Here are the posts:
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1850703&postcount=4
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1850745&postcount=5

You can get to the entire thread from either of those posts. Neither of them link to the actual testing or study referred to, so some more digging will be required if this interests anyone.

Adventuredad

- Seat shell of Multi Tech and Evolva is largely similar. You will also find that weight of the two seats only differ by 2 kg (4.5 lbs)

- Multi Tech is only certified to 25 kg forward facing with seat belt so it can't be used any longer than that.

- Multi Tech is a great rear facing seat but our opinion is that it's heavy for forward facing use. In a frontal collision, the most common accidents, weight of the seat will be added to the total forces a child's chest must absorb. A light weight high back booster is therefore preferable

- We don't want the booster to move forward for reasons stated by Lena

Summary is that benefits of SIP in forward facing seats are almost nonexistent.

Things shown on this subject to consumers are very misleading. They are led to believe that side impact protection for a forward facing seat is great. Also that large head supports are great. This is not correct. It may look nice in the crash lab but things in real life are very different.

Children's head and neck are largely unprotected at moment of impact in forward facing seats thanks to forward momentum and pre-impact breaking. In rear facing seats this works the other way around. Children are pushed further into the seat moments before impact and protection from the side is excellent.

Research also show something very important. A large percentage of children in forward facing seats with large head supports/head wings sit with their heads more forward (almost out of the head support). Not only just before impact but in everyday situations. Children in seats with smaller head support sit with head less forward.

Manufacturers like large head supports since it makes parents believe side impact protection is great. Researchers and those who really understand car seat safety dislike the huge head supports since they don't really add to safety. Despite all the colorful and fancy names the different brands used for the "side impact systems":)

khanbulgarski

- Seat shell of Multi Tech and Evolva is largely similar. You will also find that weight of the two seats only differ by 2 kg (4.5 lbs)

- Multi Tech is only certified to 25 kg forward facing with seat belt so it can't be used any longer than that.

I know from a certain sourse that the Multitech is only certified FF to 25 kg. because Britax did not want to register the seat with ECE standard all over again , since the seat is 88 cm tall and the maximum height by the standard is 80 cm. Other than that it can be used as a booster, same as Evolva up to 36 kg. Now this was said by a marketing expert of Britax, not a technitian and I have my doubts to say the least.

What do you think about that? I know it is heavy but as you said the difference with the Evolva 123 is only 2 kg. Now, do you think this weight difference is the only thing which prevents it being used up to 36 kg?

lenats31

I know from a certain sourse that the Multitech is only certified FF to 25 kg. because Britax did not want to register the seat with ECE standard all over again , since the seat is 88 cm tall and the maximum height by the standard is 80 cm. Other than that it can be used as a booster, same as Evolva up to 36 kg. Now this was said by a marketing expert of Britax, not a technitian and I have my doubts to say the least.

What do you think about that? I know it is heavy but as you said the difference with the Evolva 123 is only 2 kg. Now, do you think this weight difference is the only thing which prevents it being used up to 36 kg?

UHH, from memory, the MT is no taller than the Römer/Britax Kidfix, which would rule out the ECE re-registration issue. Another thing that I think (I don´t know for sure) is that 3 weight limits might cause confusion and lead to misuse

Lena

Adventuredad

Multi Tech is mainly a superb rear facing seat. Using it forward facing is fine but it's more of a "bonus". The seat is certified to 25 kg and can not be used any longer in forward facing mode. I'm not sure of the exact reasons but personally don't think it would be good to certify MT up to 36 kg even if it was possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC