Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

View from Inside the Car During a Crash Test

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I searched and couldn't find anything. This video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csnyjyi-vYg"]Crash Test 2011 - 20** Volvo V60 (Full Test) EuroNcap - YouTube[/ame] is a Euroncap crash test of Volvo V60, but you can find inner views during frontal crash and side impact of rear facing carseat at 0:36 and 1:06. It is not a US seat (it is a Swedish Britax Multi-tech), but I thought you could still find it interesting since this is a rear facing carseat. Here, there are also comments, and to compare you can find crash videos of different cars with other front facing child restraints in http://www.euroncap.com/ although I believe all are European.

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: View from Inside the Car During a Crash Test

Wow seeing how much the child dummies' necks moved really makes me wish all mine could sit rear facing. It still looked pretty violent. Boy did those seats really move side ways in the second clip makes you realize why you really should work to get the seats as tight as possible.

Seeing the side impact makes me very uncomfortable. Can you imagine sitting in between those two MTs?

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Side impact crashes are really nasty.

Sent from my EVO using Car-Seat.Org

I think, it would be very impractical to use the seat in between the two MT's as a passanger seat anyway. With the tethers + support legs I think you would either need to climb on one of the seat bases or go from front seat to middle rear. The best way IMO is to install the seats next to each other, but even with that setup, injury looks likely from a moving carseat to the rear passenger at the side.

Btw, in a RF carseat, even the rebound looks as if it moves the neck a lot. Of course it should be nowhere near neck movements of FF carseats in frontal crashes, but I am a bit worried by how it moves. What do you think?