View from Inside the Car During a Crash Test

Kanuni

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I searched and couldn't find anything. This video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csnyjyi-vYg"]Crash Test 2011 - 20** Volvo V60 (Full Test) EuroNcap - YouTube[/ame] is a Euroncap crash test of Volvo V60, but you can find inner views during frontal crash and side impact of rear facing carseat at 0:36 and 1:06. It is not a US seat (it is a Swedish Britax Multi-tech), but I thought you could still find it interesting since this is a rear facing carseat. Here, there are also comments, and to compare you can find crash videos of different cars with other front facing child restraints in http://www.euroncap.com/ although I believe all are European.

ADS

valleyfam

Wow seeing how much the child dummies' necks moved really makes me wish all mine could sit rear facing. It still looked pretty violent. Boy did those seats really move side ways in the second clip makes you realize why you really should work to get the seats as tight as possible.

Brianna

Seeing the side impact makes me very uncomfortable. Can you imagine sitting in between those two MTs?

Kanuni

I think, it would be very impractical to use the seat in between the two MT's as a passanger seat anyway. With the tethers + support legs I think you would either need to climb on one of the seat bases or go from front seat to middle rear. The best way IMO is to install the seats next to each other, but even with that setup, injury looks likely from a moving carseat to the rear passenger at the side.

Btw, in a RF carseat, even the rebound looks as if it moves the neck a lot. Of course it should be nowhere near neck movements of FF carseats in frontal crashes, but I am a bit worried by how it moves. What do you think?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC