Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diono Radian manual highlights

RFing height limit 44 inches, top of head at least 1.5 inches from the top of the shell

FFing 57 inches - this appears to apply to both harness and booster modes

Booster minimums: 40 inches, 50 pounds, shoulders above 4th harness slots

LATCHable in booster mode

"Armrests" (the little sides along the child's thighs) can rotate in or out. They must be rotated in to fold the seat. Must be rotated out for cup holder use.

Buckle must remain outside the restraint in booster mode. There does not appear to be any adjustment for the shoulder belt guide on the R100 and R120.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Diono Radian manual highlights

and every single seat that was from 2010 is officially retired...

anyone else thinking that people buying the radians with those ugly shoulderbelt guides on top might just cut them off if they won't be using it as a booster?

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

CPS Fanatic
    I don't like the rf height limit.

So, 6wks shy of 6yo and DS is still short enough to RF in the current RNXTSL by torso height and weight.

But at 45" tall with nearly 3" of shell over his head, he can't RF in the Diono?
    10yo in a Connext
    1yo in a Coccoro
    Babe in a Comfy Carry

It's my first time looking at a Radian manual- but are the scanable barcodes for video instructions new?

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by briheartzu
    It's my first time looking at a Radian manual- but are the scanable barcodes for video instructions new?
    Yes they are.

Maybe I'm overtired. Actually, I know I'm overtired. Anyway, Canadian radians have a 44" limit for RF. Do current American radians not have this? my 44" kiddo who weighs 37 lbs (so not too far off from the upper RF limit when you consider she's almost 5.5 yo) has about 2" of shell left. All along I'd been thinking the 44" limit was pretty... reasonable/accurate. Am I off on this?
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie
    Maybe I'm overtired. Actually, I know I'm overtired. Anyway, Canadian radians have a 44" limit for RF. Do current American radians not have this? my 44" kiddo who weighs 37 lbs (so not too far off from the upper RF limit when you consider she's almost 5.5 yo) has about 2" of shell left. All along I'd been thinking the 44" limit was pretty... reasonable/accurate. Am I off on this?
    I don't believe we have a stated rf height limit on the current Radian. My dd is 42 inches and has at least 3-4 inches above her head. She's not all the way over the sunshine symbol. I'm confident she will reach the 44 before the 1.5 from the top of the shell. Although it doesn't matter much since she doesn't have one.

Madeline outgrew the RN RF'ing at 43.5 inches tall back in April....my short torso'd kid decided to grow a torso....

Madeline - 10/2005
    Marshall - 4/2009
    Merric - 9/2011

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    My 42" kiddo wouldve outgrown the XT by height RF 2 years ago. I guess I DO have freakish torso kids. The top of his head is now even with the top of the shell FF.
    Posted via Mobile Device

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I'm not even gonna talk about torsos, except to say I'm extremely jealous.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I hate height limits. They mean nothing. E just outgrew the radian at 48" tall RFing and so did S. At 41". Not even close but they both fit the same.

And the 50 lb limit is ridiculous. E will be like 9-10. S probably 7 or 8. Both will probably be backless by then and E might even 5 step. And still can't use the diono as a booster

Not impressed. Totally unusable to us

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    SKJP Radians' RF height limit is exactly the same as FF: 53", top of ears even with top of shell. Then they started saying on FB that they went by a 1.5" rule, until I pestered them enough about it and asked how any parent who reads the manual but is not on their FB page is supposed to know that.

CPS Fanatic
    Where is the 1.5 in rule in the new manual?

I just took J out and made him sit in S' Radian. He's 4y7m and 43" tall and has almost exactly 1.5" above his head. He's also 50lbs LOL, and outgrew it by weight just after the first of the year.

I was prepared to be all "Dislike!" about the 44" limit, and I still don't like it, but at least it seems like it's realistic.

Not crazy about the change. I triple-sparkly-heart my Montereys, and I am fond of my SK Radians, but this three-in-one business does not seem like a good plan.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica61624 View Post
    Where is the 1.5 in rule in the new manual?
    Under Proper Harness Height & Child Height, p. 36 of the RXT manual.

CPS Fanatic

Is the harness height the exact same? Why does it say up to 57 inches if the old one is 53?

Why did they change that #?
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie
    I think it's completely reasonable and don't understand the uproar. Sure, some kids are smaller than that and would still fit, but 44" is a bit above the 50th percentile for 5 year olds. I think it's unrealistic for anyone to expect a manufacturer to design a seat that allows more than the average 5 year old to rear face. If your kid has no torso and you want to make a parental decision to disregard the stated height limit, fine. But I don't think Diono made a mistake by including it.

Now the 50 lb booster minimum, and no headrest above the shell for booster mode? I do think those were poor judgement on their end.

my phone thinks it's smarter than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bnsnyde View Post
    Is the harness height the exact same? Why does it say up to 57 inches if the old one is 53?

Why did they change that #?
    Harness and shell heights are the exact same. The change is probably due to the addition of booster mode and additional testing. The number has changed several times over the years. 49, 51, 53, and now 57 inches.

Ok, so I'm not getting this. I'll admit I didn't read the manual yet. Why is it that we disregard all other height limits on seats (except maybe the CA), we tell parents that the height limit is just a guide line and that their seats are outgrown when there's only an inch (in this case I guess an inch and a half) of shell left above their child's head, but now this height limit is so important? How is this different? Did Diono say you must go by the RF height limit?

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35