Diono Radian manual highlights

Pixels

RFing height limit 44 inches, top of head at least 1.5 inches from the top of the shell

FFing 57 inches - this appears to apply to both harness and booster modes

Booster minimums: 40 inches, 50 pounds, shoulders above 4th harness slots

LATCHable in booster mode

"Armrests" (the little sides along the child's thighs) can rotate in or out. They must be rotated in to fold the seat. Must be rotated out for cup holder use.

Buckle must remain outside the restraint in booster mode. There does not appear to be any adjustment for the shoulder belt guide on the R100 and R120.

ADS

Kat_Momof3

and every single seat that was from 2010 is officially retired...

anyone else thinking that people buying the radians with those ugly shoulderbelt guides on top might just cut them off if they won't be using it as a booster?

BabyKaykes

So, 6wks shy of 6yo and DS is still short enough to RF in the current RNXTSL by torso height and weight.

But at 45" tall with nearly 3" of shell over his head, he can't RF in the Diono?

Brianna

It's my first time looking at a Radian manual- but are the scanable barcodes for video instructions new?

canadiangie

Maybe I'm overtired. Actually, I know I'm overtired. :p Anyway, Canadian radians have a 44" limit for RF. Do current American radians not have this? :confused: my 44" kiddo who weighs 37 lbs (so not too far off from the upper RF limit when you consider she's almost 5.5 yo) has about 2" of shell left. All along I'd been thinking the 44" limit was pretty... reasonable/accurate. Am I off on this?

Jessica61624

canadiangie said:
Maybe I'm overtired. Actually, I know I'm overtired. :p Anyway, Canadian radians have a 44" limit for RF. Do current American radians not have this? :confused: my 44" kiddo who weighs 37 lbs (so not too far off from the upper RF limit when you consider she's almost 5.5 yo) has about 2" of shell left. All along I'd been thinking the 44" limit was pretty... reasonable/accurate. Am I off on this?

I don't believe we have a stated rf height limit on the current Radian. My dd is 42 inches and has at least 3-4 inches above her head. She's not all the way over the sunshine symbol. I'm confident she will reach the 44 before the 1.5 from the top of the shell. Although it doesn't matter much since she doesn't have one.

April

My 42" kiddo wouldve outgrown the XT by height RF 2 years ago. I guess I DO have freakish torso kids. The top of his head is now even with the top of the shell FF.
Posted via Mobile Device

fyrfightermomma

I hate height limits. They mean nothing. E just outgrew the radian at 48" tall RFing and so did S. At 41". Not even close but they both fit the same.

And the 50 lb limit is ridiculous. E will be like 9-10. S probably 7 or 8. Both will probably be backless by then and E might even 5 step. And still can't use the diono as a booster

Not impressed. Totally unusable to us

Pixels

SKJP Radians' RF height limit is exactly the same as FF: 53", top of ears even with top of shell. Then they started saying on FB that they went by a 1.5" rule, until I pestered them enough about it and asked how any parent who reads the manual but is not on their FB page is supposed to know that.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I just took J out and made him sit in S' Radian. He's 4y7m and 43" tall and has almost exactly 1.5" above his head. He's also 50lbs LOL, and outgrew it by weight just after the first of the year.

I was prepared to be all "Dislike!" about the 44" limit, and I still don't like it, but at least it seems like it's realistic.

Not crazy about the change. I triple-sparkly-heart my Montereys, and I am fond of my SK Radians, but this three-in-one business does not seem like a good plan.

bnsnyde

Is the harness height the exact same? Why does it say up to 57 inches if the old one is 53?

Why did they change that #?

crunchierthanthou

canadiangie said:

I think it's completely reasonable and don't understand the uproar. Sure, some kids are smaller than that and would still fit, but 44" is a bit above the 50th percentile for 5 year olds. I think it's unrealistic for anyone to expect a manufacturer to design a seat that allows more than the average 5 year old to rear face. If your kid has no torso and you want to make a parental decision to disregard the stated height limit, fine. But I don't think Diono made a mistake by including it.

Now the 50 lb booster minimum, and no headrest above the shell for booster mode? I do think those were poor judgement on their end. :p

my phone thinks it's smarter than I am.

Pixels

Is the harness height the exact same? Why does it say up to 57 inches if the old one is 53?

Why did they change that #?

Harness and shell heights are the exact same. The change is probably due to the addition of booster mode and additional testing. The number has changed several times over the years. 49, 51, 53, and now 57 inches.

zactayaus

Ok, so I'm not getting this. I'll admit I didn't read the manual yet. Why is it that we disregard all other height limits on seats (except maybe the CA), we tell parents that the height limit is just a guide line and that their seats are outgrown when there's only an inch (in this case I guess an inch and a half) of shell left above their child's head, but now this height limit is so important? How is this different? Did Diono say you must go by the RF height limit?:confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC