Friend & newborn

creideamh

I have a Facebook friend who has a newborn, and they live 2 states away. She has the babe in a ComfortSport, and the harness is (no surprise) above her shoulders... as in, about at the bottom of her ears, at least a good inch from her shoulders. I know this particular friend and her husband are having financial problems, but I also know she's fairly well-informed (wants to save up for a Radian to ERF.)

What would you do? They got the CS on sale at Walmart ages ago. I don't believe she ever wanted a bucket (BWer.) I feel like just saying something won't do much good, because they just don't have the $$ for a new seat, no matter what the price. Should I offer to buy a Scenera and have her pick it up at Walmart? Keep my mouth shut?? They aren't really the stay-home type of people, so they'll be using a car seat pretty much every day.

ADS

NannyMom

Are you sure the harness is in the bottom slots? Maybe they think it's supposed to be above the shoulders? The Comfortsport usually fits newborns well, I thought.

creideamh

Are you sure the harness is in the bottom slots? Maybe they think it's supposed to be above the shoulders? The Comfortsport usually fits newborns well, I thought.

Hmm, I'm actually not sure. She is SO little I can't imagine they'd move it up... but I'll ask!

BrookysMommy

That is too wierd! Im having the exact same problem, friend two states away who had an infant in a car seat with the straps above the ears. So, Im wondering the same things you are.

creideamh

That is too wierd! Im having the exact same problem, friend two states away who had an infant in a car seat with the straps above the ears. So, Im wondering the same things you are.

Haha no way, maybe it's the same person :p Do you know what seat she's using?

BrookysMommy

Haha no way, maybe it's the same person :p Do you know what seat she's using?

I actually messaged her after I read this post to find out. Shes using a ComfortSport also! This is just so wierd. My friends in Illinois, so I don't know if its the same person, but its so wierd that I was comming to post the same question, but found this.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree that unless she has a tiny tiny tiny like - should be in the NICU baby, the BOTTOM slots cant possibly be that far above the kids shoulders. I used comfortsports from birth with both of my children, including an early, barely 5 lb, 17 inch baby, and it fit fine. It's a crap seat for fitting children as LONG as they need to use a seat, but it fits littles quite well. Most (non carseat crazy) parents i encounter believe the straps need to be above the child's shoulders, and so they move the straps up.

Pixels

If the straps are in the bottom slots and still too high, then I'd look at the crotch/hip area. The bottom slots are 7.5 inches but the crotch strap is 8 inches forward, so it's likely that the baby slumped forward and down. It will take a thick roll of washcloth/burp rag to hold baby back. Proper seat recline can also help make sure baby stays back.

There are three sets of slots on the CS. I don't know if you can see enough of the seat to count slots.

creideamh

If the straps are in the bottom slots and still too high, then I'd look at the crotch/hip area. The bottom slots are 7.5 inches but the crotch strap is 8 inches forward, so it's likely that the baby slumped forward and down. It will take a thick roll of washcloth/burp rag to hold baby back. Proper seat recline can also help make sure baby stays back.

There are three sets of slots on the CS. I don't know if you can see enough of the seat to count slots.

Nope, it's only a pic of the babe + headrest, basically. Not the whole seat. I only know it's a ComfortSport because she had posted a pic of it months ago, saying they got a great deal and that's what the baby would be coming home in.

She's in TX, not IL :p But how ironic!! She didn't message me back, either, which doesn't really surprise me. Hopefully she fixed it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC