News BRU Trade-In Email from CEO

Cath3114

I'm sure plenty of you received this...but thumbs up to them for spreading the word!

Dear Valued Guest,

I am writing to you today about an important topic. A few days ago, we announced our fifth ''Great Trade-In'' event, which calls attention to the fact that, due to safety concerns, certain used baby products are not the best candidates to be handed down or resold. As a company, Toys''R''Us, Inc. is committed to offering you the safest products and to providing resources to help keep children safe. With this in mind, I wanted to take the opportunity to discuss some recent changes to U.S. product safety standards and updated recommendations for children's safety, notably two of the most significant developments that may impact your family:

Strengthened crib standards from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)

The most stringent crib safety standards in the world took effect on June 28. These new standards prohibit the manufacture or sale of traditional drop-side rail cribs, require strengthened crib slats and mattress supports, improve the quality of hardware and mandate more overall rigorous testing. All cribs sold in Babies''R''Us and Toys''R''Us stores and online meet these new federal safety requirements, and, in fact, our company has not carried drop-side cribs as part of its assortment since December 2009.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) updated guidelines for the recommended use of car seats

The AAP advises parents to keep their toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2, or until they reach the maximum height or weight for their seat. In its new guidelines, the AAP also advises that most children will need to ride in a belt-positioning booster seat until they have reached 4 feet 9 inches tall and are between 8 and 12 years of age. These are important considerations for parents whose little ones are about to outgrow their infant car seat and transition to a convertible car seat or even outgrow their convertible seat and now need a booster seat.

These and other improvements to product safety requirements put in place over the last several years are why we first introduced the ''Great Trade-In'' event. This safety program was designed to help get used and potentially unsafe products out of the marketplace by encouraging parents to trade-in their old items in exchange for savings on a new item that meets today's more stringent product safety standards. Since we introduced the program in 2009, nearly half a million cribs, car seats and other baby products have been turned in at our stores nationwide.

The ''Great Trade-In'' event continues through September 18 and provides the opportunity to trade in cribs, car seats, bassinets, strollers, travel systems, play yards, high chairs, kids' beds, infant swings, walkers, bouncers and entertainers in exchange for a 25% savings on the purchase of new products in any of these categories, from select manufacturers, at any ''R''Us store nationwide.

Toys''R''Us, Inc. continues to stay at the forefront of emerging safety concerns. We are ever mindful that there is nothing more important than the safety of children and understand the trust you place in us to carry the safest of products. For more information on our strong commitment to keeping kids safe, please visit our dedicated Safety website, Toysrus.com/Safety.

Sincerely,
Gerald Storch
Chairman and CEO
Toys''R''Us, Inc.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was just coming to post this!!! VERY impressed with BRU and mentioning the new recommendations. :love:

BrookysMommy

Way to go BRU!!! Glad they included the new guidlines. Now if they added a little paragraph about ERFing they would have it all in there ;)

hrice

Kac said:
I was just coming to post this!!! VERY impressed with BRU and mentioning the new recommendations. :love:

Lol me too! I wonder if they included employees on the email. :rolleyes:

hrice

BrookysMommy said:
Way to go BRU!!! Glad they included the new guidlines. Now if they added a little paragraph about ERFing they would have it all in there ;)
He said it is recommended to RF to 2 or the limits of the seat. :thumbsup:

Dillipop

That's a good start. Now I want them to recycle what gets turned in instead of sending it all to the landfill. Would make me more likely to turn something in if I knew it'd be recycled.

Cath3114

Dillipop said:
That's a good start. Now I want them to recycle what gets turned in instead of sending it all to the landfill. Would make me more likely to turn something in if I knew it'd be recycled.

Ugh, they really don't recycle??? That's terrible. I have to admit I'm not that great at remembering to recycle, but we're talking about tons of trash here!

Jessica61624

cathleencastle said:
Ugh, they really don't recycle??? That's terrible. I have to admit I'm not that great at remembering to recycle, but we're talking about tons of trash here!

It's better than them being use right?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Recycling is expensive, from what I gather (I have to pay more to have curbside recycling, there's no net profit in reusing stuff...parting all those thousands of baby gear items out into little plastic and metal and cloth categories would be tremendous manual labor that who wants to do for minimum wage? :(), so yeah, I'd rather it be properly disposed of if it can't be recycled.
They're training us on the 2 year thing, and Graco has a nifty 57" tall box to sell boosters from in the front of the carseat section, so yay. But since most employees are parents or have parents that still remember 'one or 20' for RF and the law says 1 and 8...well... it's a lot of old dogma to overcome. At least they are trying.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC