Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

2010 Kia sportage (right hand drive, diesel 2WD)

Hello, my husband and I purchased this vehicle when we moved to Barbados. We didn't have kids then so it was difficult to try out a car seat.

We have just imported a car seat for our newborn BUT this vehicle does not have the LATCH system.. AND the seatbelts don't lock (i.e. if you pull them they don't stop coming out unless there is a very hard break), which means the carseat wabbles around.

IS IT POSSIBLE that KIA has built a car model in which it is not possible to safely install a carseat?

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: 2010 Kia sportage (right hand drive, diesel 2WD)

Have you tried pulling the seatbelt all the way out, then letting a little bit back in to the retractor and pulling to see if more will spool out?

With it being a European model, it may not have locking seatbelts. If that's the case, then you will need to use a locking clip. The locking clip will fix the lap belt at the length neeed to keep the seat tight, and you don't need to worry about the shoulder portion remaining free because it will lock in a collision. All you need to worry about is the locking clip to make sure that the seat is installed tightly.

What kind of carseat do you have? It might help us give more specific instructions in regards to the locking clip. Most seats come with a locking clip if you don't have a seat with built-in lock-offs.

The child restraint instruction manual will describe the steps you need to take to install the seat with a lap/shoulder belt that has a sliding latchplate. Your vehicle manual may give instructions as well - have you checked both of those yet?
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Re: 2010 Kia sportage (right hand drive, diesel 2WD)

Thanks so much for your reply!

I've ordered a locking clip (it wont arrive for another 15 days), but I do hope and pray it will work!

I've read the car manual and it is written for many models of the sportage so everything says (If equipped)... it doesn't specify anything about the seat belts not locking either

We purchased a CYBEX ATON and really don't recall seeing a clip in the packaging.. was wondering the same thing myself.

Thanks so much!