Question 2010 Kia sportage (right hand drive, diesel 2WD)

Mlgon

Hello, my husband and I purchased this vehicle when we moved to Barbados. We didn't have kids then so it was difficult to try out a car seat.

We have just imported a car seat for our newborn BUT this vehicle does not have the LATCH system.. AND the seatbelts don't lock (i.e. if you pull them they don't stop coming out unless there is a very hard break), which means the carseat wabbles around.

IS IT POSSIBLE that KIA has built a car model in which it is not possible to safely install a carseat?

Has anyone else had this issue?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Have you tried pulling the seatbelt all the way out, then letting a little bit back in to the retractor and pulling to see if more will spool out?

With it being a European model, it may not have locking seatbelts. If that's the case, then you will need to use a locking clip. The locking clip will fix the lap belt at the length neeed to keep the seat tight, and you don't need to worry about the shoulder portion remaining free because it will lock in a collision. All you need to worry about is the locking clip to make sure that the seat is installed tightly.

What kind of carseat do you have? It might help us give more specific instructions in regards to the locking clip. Most seats come with a locking clip if you don't have a seat with built-in lock-offs.

The child restraint instruction manual will describe the steps you need to take to install the seat with a lap/shoulder belt that has a sliding latchplate. Your vehicle manual may give instructions as well - have you checked both of those yet?

Mlgon

Thanks so much for your reply!

I've ordered a locking clip (it wont arrive for another 15 days), but I do hope and pray it will work!

I've read the car manual and it is written for many models of the sportage so everything says (If equipped)... it doesn't specify anything about the seat belts not locking either :(

We purchased a CYBEX ATON and really don't recall seeing a clip in the packaging.. was wondering the same thing myself.

Thanks so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC