What are the factors in deciding which harnessed booster seat to choose?

MelG

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am just learning about harnessed booster seats. From what I understand, all seats pass the same safety tests. From what I've read, it seems that how the seat fits your child and fits in your car are the factors in deciding which seat is best. So, my questions is, if several different seats are great fit in the car and and with the child buckled in, are they equal in safety, regardless of price?
Thank you for your help!

ADS

Pixels

Any seat that you can use properly 100% of the time is safe to use. That means properly installed in the vehicle, and child properly harnessed. One may be safer than another, but we don't know which ones. Also, one might be better in say, a side impact, whereas another might be better in a frontal, so there's really no telling.

The biggest factors I take into consideration when picking a seat are longevity (how soon it will be outgrown, often measured in terms of top harness slots/top booster guide position), ease of use, fitting three across (or not), cost, and perceived side impact protection. There are no standards for side impact, so really I can only look at a seat and have a gut feeling about it, there is no way to say that a seat has good, poor, or no side impact protection.

Jan06twinmom

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am just learning about harnessed booster seats. From what I understand, all seats pass the same safety tests. From what I've read, it seems that how the seat fits your child and fits in your car are the factors in deciding which seat is best. So, my questions is, if several different seats are great fit in the car and and with the child buckled in, are they equal in safety, regardless of price?
Thank you for your help!

I'm not sure that you can say they are equally safe - we just don't have the information to know if one is safer than the others. They all meet the minimum safety standards so they are safe options. One seat might just meet the minimum standards while another seat might pass with flying colors and could meet a higher standard. We don't have access to know if there were differences in seats during testing since it is not released.

I think budget becomes a pretty big part of figuring out what is best for your situation. You might also look at or consider other factors related to safety or not. For example, car seat covers options, colors, how sturdy the seat feels, cupholders, how padded/comfortable the seat looks, etc.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC