shower cap cover that doesn't interfere with clipping onto the base?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I've owned a couple different shower cap covers. They way they go over the seat, means that the cover was between the car seat and base when installing my SafeSeat. Initially I thought all this did was make it harder to clip the seat on the base, and harder to remove. You know how the SafeSeats would sometimes get stuck trying to pull them off? Well that would happen every time when using the cover.

Then, one day, I was driving and heard the instant seat make a loud CLICK as it dropped down further into the base! Yikes! So, it hadn't been clipped on all the way even though it had made a click when I put it on and I had wiggled to make sure it was in place.

So, I started flipping the shower cap cover off from the foot area when clipping on the seat. Problem here is that then it can't go back over the front edge of the seat so it has to be left off. This means the cover doesn't sit as snug and with a kicking baby can come off more which could end up with baby having a cover over their face, not to mention the cold air that's freezing them in our winters.

I really wish there was a safe option for a cover that went in the seat. Not only would this resolve the problem I was having, but it would also keep my baby a heck of a lot warmer because the blanket wouldn't just be over top with a huge air gap in between, but touching them and would stay on. Would likely eliminate my need for a fleece snowsuit as well because here you need them especially due to how the shower cap covers hover over the baby's body rather than cuddling them.

My new seat is 99.9% going to be a SnugRide 35 or whatever the heck Graco is calling it now and I don't think the shape differs from the SafeSeat. And it's going in the same vehicle, so I expect to have the same issue as before.

Any ideas for a shower cap cover that won't get caught between the infant seat and the base on install?

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You know, I've been giving this a lot of thought too. (;)) Until you mentioned it, the whole cold back thing was a mystery to me, because I had never experienced it with DS; he had a nice, thick, cozy Jolly Jumper cuddle bag :eek: (made cleaning up after diaper blow outs easier too. ;)) Now I am wondering how to manage things, especially since my baby will be so much younger than DS was during the coldest part of our winter (Jan-Feb.)

I've seen it discussed that cutting the back out of a cuddle bag would be an acceptable solution. It won't help the cold back issue, but it would help keep the covers on baby and be closer to their body. :shrug-shoulders:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Geez, I think we're partially sharing a brain this pregnancy! :ROTFLMAO:

So, how would cutting the back out work? I guess I'm wondering how it would actually stay in the seat if the back part that holds it in the seat is gone?

unityco

Geez, I think we're partially sharing a brain this pregnancy! :ROTFLMAO:

Word. :thumbsup: :ROTFLMAO:

I would consider adding some snaps to the foot area to hold the bag in place. :shrug-shoulders: Won't take long for baby to be able to release them by kicking though (but maybe by then the worst of the cold will be over.)

ETA: I think I might remember seeing that Graco actually makes some kind of cuddle bag thing for their seats (not a foot muff...) off to look it up...

FETA: Can't find any evidence of a Graco-approved bundle, and looking at that cut-out Bundle Me, I would consider actually sewing the bag to the cover (with a loose basting stitch to be ripped out when warmer weather finally arrives.)

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My Jolly Jumper shower cap style didn't interfere with the base. At least not with a Keyfit.
Perhaps it has to do with how the Graco's sit on the base. And we don't have many options here for high weight infant seat, our Keyfit only goes to 22#. And ya, I love the high weight ones because I get 2 winters out of it!

Word. :thumbsup: :ROTFLMAO:

I would consider adding some snaps to the foot area to hold the bag in place. :shrug-shoulders: Won't take long for baby to be able to release them by kicking though (but maybe by then the worst of the cold will be over.)

Found a video on this cut out thing http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2011/01/bundle-me-everyone-uses-it-in-car-seat.html So, it might still stay with the elastic or whatever attachment at the top. Without the back though, it's possible to still need the fleece suit for warmth, so then you're putting something behind baby's back in place of what you just cut out. :ROTFLMAO: Okay, it's true the Bundle Me can also interfere with strap placement, it's not just having material behind the back, but her description in the video makes it sound like the thickness of the material behind the back is issue which wouldn't change a whole lot with a fleece suit.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

Thanks. I was cross posting with you. The thread was helpful. Although, I'm not likely to buy a Bundle Me and cut it up, looks ugly afterwards. Ya, I know you can't see the cut up part when baby's in the seat, but I'm picky that way. And I don't sew or have easy access to someone who does to make it look pretty.

The link I posted above has some links to shower cap style covers, so I'm going to go check those out and see if any tickle my fancy. Although not sure how they'll be any different than what I've tried since they all go over the foot of the seat, but I'll take a look just in case someone has an ingenious design.

Is there any Bundle Me style covers that already exist without a back?

unityco

BTW Techno, have you looked at the new Via lately? It seems to be just as tall as the Snugride 35 (I measured last time I looked at it at BRU,) has the same weight-limit when used with the base, and the old 22lb version was fully lined with EPS (which has great insulative properties. :thumbsup:) I didn't take a cover off the new version to check out its foam-coverage though. :shrug-shoulders: It also appears to be skinnier than the Snugride. :thumbsup:

A (poor) picture of the bottom of the old Via:

CSO003.jpg

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
BTW Techno, have you looked at the new Via lately? It seems to be just as tall as the Snugride 35 (I measured last time I looked at it at BRU,) has the same weight-limit when used with the base, and the old 22lb version was fully lined with EPS (which has great insulative properties. :thumbsup:) I didn't take a cover off the new version to check out its foam-coverage though. :shrug-shoulders: It also appears to be skinnier than the Snugride. :thumbsup:

Uh no, I hadn't. I didn't even know there was an OLD Via! :duck: Is it sold under The First Years brand name here? I'm trying to find it online at a Canadian site but it's not at Sears or TRU/BRU. Any idea where I can find it here? and most importantly, what covers are available? ;)

I liked my True Fit a lot so I would definitely consider this seat. And if it's narrower than a SnugRide that would likely be much, much better for me as right now I'm not sure if I can fit a big SnugRide and Nauti side by side in my vehicle (was just going to post a thread about that).

The *only* issue I would have with a different brand seat, is my stroller doesn't have an adapter available for it. I can only get Maxi Cosi, Peg or Graco adapters but maybe one of them could be modded. That shouldn't be a factor in my decision, especially because I don't generally have baby ride around in the car seat attached to the stroller. But if I have to run into the grocery store to grab ONE thing, or drop something off for DD1 at school, it's way easier for me to clip a seat onto the stroller, than to undo baby and put them in the bassinet/stroller or into a baby carrier and risk slipping on the ice while carrying a baby. And it's great for when we go to mom & baby yoga, I can just clip on, walk through the pelting snow and ice with baby safe on the stroller for the minute it takes me to get inside.

And this thing has rebound management too? And if it's fully lined with EPS foam....well screw Cybex and their Aton slowness in Canada! Ha-ha!

Please tell me how I missed that this seat is available in Canada? I feel like an idiot for not knowing...:p

ETA: wait, I think I found it. It's a Lamaze seat here? And it has NO RETHREAD harness?? COOL! :thumbsup: Wanting this more now. Have I told you I love you lately unityco? :love:

Last edited:

unityco

Have I told you I love you lately unityco? :love:

Aww, right back at you. ;)

Yeah, the U.S. link is the seat BRU Canada is selling, but only as a travel system. I've sent an email off to LC to see if they're planning to make the seat available on its own in Canada. (This is the travel system at BRU: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...15&foreSeeBrowseLoyalty=1&foreSeeEnabled=true) One of my big issues with it is the difference in weight limit between base and baseless use. I could see being stranded without the base and an over 22lb baby. :eek:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Aww, right back at you. ;)

Yeah, the U.S. link is the seat BRU Canada is selling, but only as a travel system. I've sent an email off to LC to see if they're planning to make the seat available on its own in Canada. (This is the travel system at BRU: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index...15&foreSeeBrowseLoyalty=1&foreSeeEnabled=true) One of my big issues with it is the difference in weight limit between base and baseless use. I could see being stranded without the base and an over 22lb baby. :eek:

Oh, duh, I didn't even notice that my link was .com and no .ca. GRRR. As long as they have it available alone by Novemberish I'm good! So, price will likely be higher here, but meh, not likely anymore than the SnugRide 35. It better come out here stand alone by the end of this year! I'm not buying an entire travel system just for the car seat. :p

I didn't even consider the weight difference could be an issue. Hmmmm....okay, most times if I have the car seat, I've got my vehicle, which means I have the base. So, if my vehicle died for any reason, I could just take the base out and use it whatever vehicle picks me up. But, I could see me being home with baby, DH has the vehicle at work. My parents want to come pick me up to go out and I can't go because baby is over 22#. But no different than me owning a 22# outgrown infant seat and my convertible that fits baby being with DH in the vehicle at work. Any other scenarios you thought of to consider?

unityco

Any other scenarios you thought of to consider?

I half-way joke that the only thing reliable about DH is his unreliability. ;) He does 99% of the driving, so I'm mostly a passenger. I could easily see him dropping me and baby somewhere and somehow not picking us up. :rolleyes: Or, not arriving on-time to pick us up from home, and him having the vehicle with the base. In either scenario, I could see him sending someone else to ferry us, or if it were desperate enough that I would drive myself or need to take a taxi, I wouldn't have the base. :shrug-shoulders:

On the far-out scenarios, having the car with the base stolen would be bad. :eek:

On the flip side of being stranded - there's always transit here (not so much in other jurisdictions. ;))

ETA: I'm looking at this from the perspective that my baby will quite possibly be over 22lbs by 4mo; I wouldn't likely have a convertible as back-up for him yet at that point. When the baby does move to a convertible, DH would be much more cognizant of the fact that he would have the only transportation option for the baby with him, I'm not sure he would understand that with the Via. ;)

Last edited:

Kobain's Mommy

How thick was your shower cap cover? I have a SS1 and SR32. I used the same cover with both. It was simple just double layered fleece that I got off Ebay. I never had any issues with the seat not locking all the way in the base and the only time the seat got stuck in the base we weren't using the cover. I usually used a fleece blanket tucked around baby after he was buckled in then zip the cover up. The insert thingy that the one I got came with was perfect for his swing when he would spit up.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The ones I tried were on the thicker side with a water/wind resistant layer on top. Double layered fleece won't cut it here. The wind would whip right through it and if just wouldn't provide enough insulation when it's -40 (or -50 or -60 with the windchill and we do get some of those days). I'm not a huge fan of tucking a blanket underneath after finding DD2 with the blanket over her face a few times after the car ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

unityco

Say whaaaa? NOOOO! What does that mean? You saw it in real life didn't you? So it does really exist in Canada?

Yes, I've definitely seen it IRL; and next time I do I'll generate photographic evidence! (Maybe it'll start popping up at Zellers soon; they sold the old Via (but again, only in a travel system.))

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes, I've definitely seen it IRL; and next time I do I'll generate photographic evidence! (Maybe it'll start popping up at Zellers soon; the sold the old Via (but again, only in a travel system.))
Okay good, so it does exist. Whew! I sure hope I don't have to buy a travel system and sell the stroller! DH would kill me, I haven too many strollers in the garage already! I really want to be able to have a choice between this and the SnugRide 35. Choice would be so nice!

unityco

Disappointing discovery, Techno. :( Zellers does carry the Via on its own, BUT LC has cheaped out on the foam. :thumbsdown: $229 for the seat.

12957e8d.jpg

e30aa63e.jpg

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC