Almost had a coronary!

ignora

Senior Community Member
Ok, so yesterday I had to go pick up a few things at my sister's. She lives about 45 minutes away in a town with better shopping than the one I'm currently in :thumbsup:, so I usually plan to run errands whenever I have to make the trip.

Anyway, Sidney didn't want to run errands with me... she wanted to stay with my niece (who is almost 18). I hadn't been planning on leaving her, but niece was fine with that so I let her stay. I told niece to call me if she needed to leave or whatever (my sister wasn't home at the time... out on a hot date!).

So, I'm out and about for several hours and had to stop by my other sister's house to drop off some things. She just had a baby and is quite a bit younger than my other sister and I. I called niece to check on things and she told me that her mom had come home and they were just about to leave to pick up my nephew! :eek: :eek:

Me: "How are you going to do that? Sidney doesn't have her carseat."
Niece: "Oh, she's big enough to ride in the car... and it's not very far." :eek:
Me: "No, she HAS to have her carseat."

As I'm talking, my youngest sister (the one I'm visiting) is commenting in the background about how Sid's much too little to be riding in the car without a seat. I heard niece repeating what I had said to her mom, then she got back on the phone and said, "Well, hurry up and come get her then." So, I ran out the door (forgetting my purse, btw... I always keep my keys in my pocket so didn't notice... had to go back for it).

When I got there, niece and Sid were home alone. My sister had decided to just leave them there and go to get my nephew. I told my niece she should have called me earlier and I would have come... and that I was sorry to be such a pain, but I'm very anal about the car seat thing. She said it was ok... she had sounded irritated on the phone, but was fine when I got there.

Anyway, I'm not surprised about my niece's attitude about it since she's young and inexperienced (though, she just found out she's pregnant :eek: ... she'll be getting some lessons!). But, I'm REALLY surprised that my sister was willing to let Sid go in the car like that. I'm kind of appalled because she has two kids and is usually really responsible. Even if her kids ARE older and don't need seats anymore, she should know better. My youngest sister couldn't believe it either.

Well, I don't know what I expect anybody to say... I just needed to vent a little...

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow! I am glad you got back there before your sister and niece put your DD in the car without her carseat!

Best of luck educating her and your sister about the importance of "best practices" in vehicle safety.

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow! I am glad you got back there before your sister and niece put your DD in the car without her carseat!

Best of luck educating her and your sister about the importance of "best practices" in vehicle safety.

Totally OT, but have you been watching Tiger Cam at the Smithsonian's website? They are so cute! I clearly have too much time on my hands!

ignora

Senior Community Member
Wow, what wonderful intuition you had to call just when you did!

Yeah, as I was driving to get Sid, I was thinking how glad I was that I called when I did... lucky.

Well, thanks everyone for commiserating with me. I just needed to vent to people who would get it. :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC