Help me w/a FB debate

Chex

This guy is bringing up this study: http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_on_child_carseats.html

So he thinks that Steven Leavitt is totally reputable and therefore he doesn't need to have any of his children over the age of 2 in a carseat at all.

I told him there were many studies to contradict this guy. He responded that he'd love to look at anything other than things from carseat companies and NHTSA because, after all, they have an obvious agenda. :rolleyes:

Here's what he'd like: "Any research performed by third parties and published in academic journals with blind review."

Got anything for me? I know I used to have a bunch of bookmarks, but they all got deleted during a computer crash. :(

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I do believe that even Steven Leavitt puts his kids in seats. So this "researcher" isn't willing to bet his own kids lives on his research.

Susan

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
There is a study published in I believe the Injury Prevention Journal that refutes Levitt's 'study'.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

Chex

Alright, I sent him some links. He was actually fairly responsive. Here's to hoping (for his children's sake) that he can be open-minded enough.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm pretty sure the Freakonomics stuff was also based on crashes involving death... so in a super severe crash, car seats make or may not make a significant difference in the risk of death, but in most crashes they could make a difference in the risk and severity of injuries.

If you can find access to the articles, there are ton of peer reviewed articles that you could probably check out that are referenced in the AAP articles about their guidelines.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I like to say that the findings are absolutely correct.

If you have a 2-year-old who sits perfectly still for minutes or hours on end, and who also has no internal organs, car seats are totally unnecessary.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
LISmama810 said:
I like to say that the findings are absolutely correct.

If you have a 2-year-old who sits perfectly still for minutes or hours on end, and who also has no internal organs, car seats are totally unnecessary.

...and is the size of a ten year old, so they actually fit the belt!

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
An Aurora said:
...and is the size of a ten year old, so they actually fit the belt!

Nah, if the kid has no internal organs, size won't matter as much. Just position the seatbelt and you're good. Since the kid doesn't move.

tam_shops

Sigh, I want to cybersmack that guy every time someone quotes him...

Bumped into a friend of a friend that was waiting to take her very small 8YO out of her booster and I told her that being small she is so much safer in a booster. She replied, "Oh no, research shows that car seats do not do anything after the age of 2YO and the hype is being created by the car seat companies to sell their product".

I just about choked on my lunch. She's a teacher w/ 3 kids. :thumbsdown:

Of course, I knew which research she was talking about, and like I said, friend of a friend, not a friend! LOL So, I had to gently correct the information and know full well (know through the friend) that she isn't going to listen anyway.

But made sure to throw in the AAP, BCAA (our safekids program here), TC, and IIHS, not making any money off the sale of car seats. Then, suggested she phone the BCAA program and confirm the 5 step test before removing her dd's booster b/c it takes the impact in a crash instead of her hips.

I find it *extra* annoying when it's someone that was in a car crash b/c she should know better. Though, she didn't replace her car seats after a crash serious enough to write off the car so...

tam

E

elydell

What I got out of watching the video was even more determination to rear-face my kids as long as they are physically able- instead of hearing his message as "why bother with a car seat at all", try to see it as "why WOULDN'T you rear-face your toddler, when forward-facing them is as good as skipping the seat and just using a safety-belt?"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC