Nissan Xterra?

nosidammai

Come tax season DH has decided that we should be able to get me my own car. I've been looking at the Nissan Xterra online, and I really like it. I've never seen them up close in real life, so I was wondering if anyone on here had one, and if they liked it or recommended it. By the time we get it there will be two seats in it, a RF TFP and a Chicco Keyfit 30. How is the space in the back seat? And does it have center LATCH? Is it fairly spacious? I'm looking into small-midsized SUV and I'm really liking the Xterra, but I want to make sure it will accomodate the seats we have.

Edit, Oops just saw there was a car safety forum. Can someone move this over?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I've owned an Xterra, and while it was a total blast for going off-road (I went a lot of places my jeep buddies wouldn't. Whether that was the vehicle or the driver at play though, I can't tell you) it was not at all practical as a mom car. I'm not sure if there are changes to the current model year, but the 05 I had was very poorly set up for multiple kids.

nosidammai

I've owned an Xterra, and while it was a total blast for going off-road (I went a lot of places my jeep buddies wouldn't. Whether that was the vehicle or the driver at play though, I can't tell you) it was not at all practical as a mom car. I'm not sure if there are changes to the current model year, but the 05 I had was very poorly set up for multiple kids.

Well crap. I had my heart kinda set on it. I don't leave the house too often, but when I do it's usually grocery shopping and I liked how big the storage trunk space was in the back. What makes it impractical as a "mom" car?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I had a 2001 for seven years. It has very sloped backseats and long stalks, but I loved it. I had no problem with it as a mom car.

Nissan does not allow center LATCH.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well crap. I had my heart kinda set on it. I don't leave the house too often, but when I do it's usually grocery shopping and I liked how big the storage trunk space was in the back. What makes it impractical as a "mom" car?

Everything in that large trunk space needs to be strapped down somehow so that it doesn't pop over the seats in a crash. Also, keep in mind that I was the mom of 3 when I drove an Xterra. 3 in a row was difficult (not impossible) but come field trip time in kindergarten I was limited to two kids since the center was a lap only belt and I couldn't put a booster seat there. By the time I had a kid that was tall enough to pass the 5 step test and ride without a booster, the back seat was too short to provide adequate whiplash protection (seat back needs to be eye level).

Again these issues might have been addressed in later model years.

J

jenjunum

I drive a 2004 Xterra. I really like it as a mom car. I have 2 kids both FF one in a Frontier and one in a Boulevard. I previously had them both installed with latch but my older daughter is right around the weight limit so we just moved her to a seat belt install so we wouldn't forget to do it. I like the install fine with either latch or seat belt. When I only had 1, I used the center install with the lap belt on a RF Boulevard and a Snugride.

My cargo area has a retractable cover that protects everything in the cargo area so it cannot fly around.

Our car now has 83k miles on it and we've had no major issues. We have done regular oil changes and major scheduled maintenance (30k, 60k and will do 90k services) but we really haven't had any repairs. We replaced the tires fairly early on, earlier than I would have thought (like 40k maybe) and we are about to put new brakes on throughout and new belts. And there was one recall on the steering column. But we haven't had anything break. I've been very pleased with how well it's held up.

The things I don't like about it--the raised back seat makes it a little tricky to lift kids into their car seats. I'm constantly bonking their heads when I put them in. I'm not sure if this would be an issue with other SUVs or not since I haven't owned another. It also makes it harder for older kids to climb in on their own. My DD is 3.5 and really tall for her age and has just recently been able to climb into the car to get in her seat on her own. And for this age they want to do everything on their own, so she was frustrated that she couldn't (and still can't in certain shoes or clothes--it's a big step). We have similarly had trouble getting elderly grandparents into the backseat when their weren't car seats installed, but we only very rarely drive them anywhere so that wasn't really an issue for us. In general though I like the raised back seat, it makes it easier to see out of the back seat since you sit higher. If I had older kids not in car seats I would definitely prefer it.

With two car seats in the back the middle seat is unusable for another person. With the latch install there is only about 4" between our seats (we do have WIDE seats though). I believe we were able to get 3 seats across when we had a Boulevard, a snugride and my sister came to visit--I can't recall the seat she brought though (a smaller convertible). It was a super tight fit and I wouldn't have done it for an extended period (we basically just did it to and from the airport). And obviously we had to do all seat belt installs (the latch puts the seats more toward the center of the car).

The mileage is not great. 16 or 17 mpg would be really good and all freeway miles. We probably get around 14 mpg or so. That would be my major complaint.

I really, really like the car actually and I'm really happy with that purchase. I don't know what the pricing is now, but when we bought it was a bit cheaper than the RAV4s or CRVs which were the other cars we looked at. I like it a lot. Next week we're purchasing a Mazda 5 though. We decided we need a 2nd car and we really wanted something with better mileage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC