Vent Way to go, Michigan DHS (sarcasm)

Cath3114

A girlfriend of mine started a social work internship with a DHS office in Michigan. She's a car seat nerd, so she was horrified when she found out THIS is what they're transporting children in. (I believe she's in the child welfare/CPS office). IMO, car seat safety training should be mandatory for these caseworkers! She said they're also terrible with installs and harnesses.

fd661567.jpg

Anybody know what these seats are?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I think the infant seat is an old school Evenflo Discovery, and the convertible is a Century.

Cath3114

Phineasmama said:
Ugh, gross!!!! They couldn't buy a couple of Sceneras for heavens sakes?!

Exactly what I said. She replied

"They had no idea!! I told him they were expired and he went "really?!" They have no budget for new seats so I'm writing up a report for it all. My supervisor said we'll probably have to write up a grant to get new seats but we WILL get them"

So at least they are receptive and willing to do something about it! Hopefully the grant will be state-wide and all the offices will be able to get new ones. She has also volunteered to show all the social workers how to install and properly harness. Although if any tech in the Saginaw area would like to help out, that would be great.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I used to work with a program SafetyBeltSafe did with Los Angeles County social services. Basically before people could become social workers, they needed to take an all-day car seat class that included instructional time and them doing installations in their own cars.

It came about when someone from SafetyBeltSafe visited an office and the director insisted they didn't need help with car seats. She had a bunch of workers install seats in their cars, and all of the installs were wrong, and many of the seats were expired, broken, or otherwise inappropriate. That's what opened their eyes to the fact that they needed more education.

Many problems arise, though, like a lack of funding. Many social workers use their own seats, not ones provided by the agency (and those aren't necessarily any better). There's also the fact that people are already overwhelmed with requirements.

Not to say it isn't important. You might want to contact SBS to find out more about their program and if they have any resources they can share. (I thought their PowerPoint presentation was really good.)

ahgirls

Those seats are called expired & eek.

Sadly those seats are probably better then what the kids normaly ride in. No seats.

swtgi1982

Exactly what I said. She replied

"They had no idea!! I told him they were expired and he went "really?!" They have no budget for new seats so I'm writing up a report for it all. My supervisor said we'll probably have to write up a grant to get new seats but we WILL get them"

So at least they are receptive and willing to do something about it! Hopefully the grant will be state-wide and all the offices will be able to get new ones. She has also volunteered to show all the social workers how to install and properly harness. Although if any tech in the Saginaw area would like to help out, that would be great.

I am in the Saginaw area PM me I can help.

swtgi1982

Ha community organizations?? I wish places around here had money for things like that! Unfortunately not that I know of. But they could like buy them at cost off our local safe kids chapter. A convertible and a FF harnessd seat.

CupcakeMama

I used to work with a program SafetyBeltSafe did with Los Angeles County social services. Basically before people could become social workers, they needed to take an all-day car seat class that included instructional time and them doing installations in their own cars.

It came about when someone from SafetyBeltSafe visited an office and the director insisted they didn't need help with car seats. She had a bunch of workers install seats in their cars, and all of the installs were wrong, and many of the seats were expired, broken, or otherwise inappropriate. That's what opened their eyes to the fact that they needed more education.

Many problems arise, though, like a lack of funding. Many social workers use their own seats, not ones provided by the agency (and those aren't necessarily any better). There's also the fact that people are already overwhelmed with requirements.

Not to say it isn't important. You might want to contact SBS to find out more about their program and if they have any resources they can share. (I thought their PowerPoint presentation was really good.)

SO researching this on Tuesday!!! THANK YOU So much for this information!! :D

erind

DH worked in cps when I met him. He told me he knew how to install seats because he did it all the time at work. When I checked he had not even locked the seatbelt and had never heard of latch at all (he had it in his car). He didn't even know how to tighten the harness. I have always thought it was so weird that they wouldn't have any training at all, when driving around with other peoples kids was a normal part of the job.

Mysweethoneybee

I live in southwest Missouri and family services here put 6 month old babies in old style shield boosters if in anything. Or at least I have seen that be the case in the past 6 months. Considering the law is that babies have to be rear facing and kids have to be harnessed until 4 I know they know better but I guess no one in power cares. But I don't have a clue what I could do about it as I am not involved in that system in any way.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Same craqptastic seats used here. In the 6 years since I became a tech, it has gotten a little better, very, very little.

zeo2ski

It just blows my mind that they are Child PROTECTIVE services and this is how they transport. My DSS is a little better--I mean yeah they're expired OHS and the like...but they do rear face the babies til a year. In a Snugride 22. No matter how big the baby is. Or small. DFD came to us at 4.5 lbs in the SR, and no other baby was in it between that day and the day I put her in their car and went to adjust the recline (after taking off the LATCH and seatbelt install done by "an experienced mom" because the CPS worker does care but totally clueless) and the recline foot was not even there. So she went in my KF. They also tried to FF my 19 mos old in an expired T shield and I politely refused and took her BLVD.

But yeah, they can take people's kids away and then put them in harm's way themselves. Ridiculous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC