Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Bakeware that doesn't have nonstick coating?

For those of you who avoid products with nonstick coating, what do you use for bakeware? Glass? Silicone? Stoneware?

We have Pyrex glass baking dishes that I use, but I'd like to find something to replace the loaf pan and muffin tin that we currently have (both have nonstick coating).
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member SuzaBanana's Avatar

Re: Bakeware that doesn't have nonstick coating?

We've switched to mostly silicone. It's just so easy to use & work with. I've found little difference between brands & generally just go for whatever is on clearance at TJMaxx/Home Goods/Marshall's.
    integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching

Aluminum.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

I avoid aluminium, too. I have glass and silicone loaf pans. I prefer the glass. Actually, I also have a 6-cavity mini loaf mold that I love for quick breads. It looks like the link, and there's a wire frame that helps it hold its shape when moving into/out of the oven, which I can't find pictured anywhere online.

My muffin pans are also silicone with a wire frame. I neither love nor hate them.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

I have glass and silicone. I love using both.

Senior Community Member CarSeatPoncho's Avatar

I use pyrex. I have a silicone muffin pan, but I always use liners with it. I am just paranoid that in 5 years there will be news about SILICONE, so I just go backward in time and stick to glass.

www.CarSeatPoncho.com
    Keeps children safe and warm -- without a hassle!

DEMONSTRATION OF COAT COMPRESSION (Video) ..... PONCHO COLORS MATCH YOUR CAR SEAT(Click)
    Donna, CPST/Inventor, DS7 SK Monterey (Snug 22, EFT, Apex 65)

I use glass/Pyrex.

Posted by a robot and susceptible to unrelated and potentially inappropriate AutoCorrects.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

My solution is to not bake. Wait...I didn't bake before I quite using non-stick, so I guess nothing has changed for me.

(For casseroles, baked pastas or other meals, we use glass.)
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

When I bake cookies, I use aluminium cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Makes it much easier for clean up in addition to no sticking! My cupcake pans are lined with paper baking cups. My loaf pan is a glass Pyrex dish. My cake pans are aluminum though.

Marsha, Godmother to Nour & Zain (8) and grandparent (aka "Nanny Marsha") to Ethan (8), Katelyn & Owen (7), and Chase, (6)

I use glass usually pyrex, I usually don't use silicone as I still think it bakes some kind of chemical into my food. Paranoia? probably.
    Wyatt Henry, 5.25.2010

I recently have fallen in love with stoneware. I found a like new stoneware Pampered Chef muffin pan at a garage sale for $1 and a cookie sheet for $0.75! I also recently purchased a Pampered Chef loaf pan at a thrift store and two Food Network ones at Kohl's for cheap. I think Kohl's was clearence them out, it was about a month ago so they may still have some. The stoneware loaf pans work really nice for bread. Otherwise, I love Pyrex for most other things.

Senior Community Member solmama's Avatar

We use glass/Pyrex. I thought about silicone but I've smelled it off-gassing in the store and it lost its appeal. So, glass it is.
    DD-12 years, 68"
    DS-10 years, 60"

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

I also can't stand the off-gassing of the silicone stuff (or how floppy it is without a wire rack/stand), so I mostly use Pyrex glassware (all casserole dishes, pie pans, loaf pans, square cake pans). I also have a cheap nonstick muffin tin that I still use with paper liners, and cheap nonstick cookie sheets that I line with parchment paper. I'm *dying* for some stoneware, though.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Quote Originally Posted by CarSeatPoncho View Post
    I use pyrex. I have a silicone muffin pan, but I always use liners with it. I am just paranoid that in 5 years there will be news about SILICONE, so I just go backward in time and stick to glass.
    Glass, stainless steel, stoneware. I have aluminum cookie sheets that I love (airbake) but I try not to use aluminum very much until they figure out if the fact that Alzheimer's patients have more aluminum in their brains is cause or effect. I LOVE stoneware, and frequently find it at thrift stores and garage sales. Stoneware cooks so evenly, and it's been cooked with forever, so I don't have a single worry about it. And lasts forever. Unless you drop it. And nothing sticks to it once it's seasoned well.

I also use glass. Stainless steel can be harder find w/out non-stick, but it's out there. Check eBay. I have a stainless steel jelly roll pan I use as a cookie sheet, It's awesome - shiny mirror finish that stuff doesn't hardly stick on, even without oil or anything else.

The silicon stuff scares me. Too new, too smelly, and it just seems counter-intuitive that it could possibly be safe in the oven. Cast iron skillets work in the oven, too.

Carseat Crazy

I use glass and stoneware.
    DS1 10/06 - Recaro Vivo
    DS2 10/07 - Frontier 85
    DD Twinkies 11/11 - CCO & Headwise70

Carseat Crazy

Pyrex mostly and some Corningware. I have professional steel sheet pans that I use the most, they are great for everything.
    Triumph 5
    On the hunt for a second seat

Owner/Director Greenleaf Child Development Community

erm, from what I've read, regular parchment paper has a questionable coating too (sorry to be the Debbie Downer). I've found the If You Care brand (at Whole Foods and Amazon) that's unbleached and coated in silicone (seems safer than what conventional parchment paper is coated with but still..who knows what will be unearthed down the road in terms of safety).

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Thanks for that info, tentoes.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche