Question Need pic of a kid 5 stepping in a car

mlohry

We are looking at purchasing the Honda Fit and I went to a dealer to take a quick peek. I only had my almost 9 year old with me, so I tried him in the middle seat and was very surprised at how well he fit without a booster. I would normally have him sit in the middle seat as my other 2 kids both need to be in seats.

Does anyone have a pic of a child 5 stepping in a compact car? The belt was a bit higher than in his booster, but the lower part touched his thighs. The shoulder belt in that car comes from the ceiling, so it looked a bit odd, but fit well. His feet touched the floor easily and his legs easily folded over the edge of the seat. What else should I look for?

If he needed a booster for that car, I would get him a Bubblebum, so it would still not take up much space.

ADS

hrice

Lap belt is across his hips (not tummy), shoulder belt hits midway between his neck and shoulders, his knees bend over the edge of the seat without him slouching and *added bonus* his feet touch the floor (though you can't see that).

mlohry

hrice said:
Lap belt is across his hips (not tummy), shoulder belt hits midway between his neck and shoulders, his knees bend over the edge of the seat without him slouching and *added bonus* his feet touch the floor (though you can't see that).

Boy my son's belt looked a lot like that! It looks higher to me because of there not being a booster in the way. If we test drive the car, I will try to snap a pic of him.

How old is your DS in the pic?

mlohry

hrice said:
He was a few months passed his 9th bday.

My DS will be 9 in November and he looks similar in body type as my DS. What kind of car is that? Did he 5 step in all cars at that age. I just ask because my DS is no where near 5 stepping in our Ody van.

hrice

mlohry said:
My DS will be 9 in November and he looks similar in body type as my DS. What kind of car is that? Did he 5 step in all cars at that age. I just ask because my DS is no where near 5 stepping in our Ody van.

That is the third row of my Yukon. He didn't five step-in the second row at that time. He five steps in the 2nd row now. He will be 10 November 19th.

mlohry

hrice said:
That is the third row of my Yukon. He didn't five step-in the second row at that time. He five steps in the 2nd row now. He will be 10 November 19th.

Good to know, thanks! Is he out of a booster FT now?

hrice

mlohry said:
Good to know, thanks! Is he out of a booster FT now?

Nope. Still boostered 99.9%of the time. The only place he doesn't use a booster is if I need him to ride on the third row if the Yukon because his head is over the headrest with a booster and the belt locks every single time with a HBB back there. I prefer him in a booster for the added hip support.

mlohry

hrice said:
Nope. Still boostered 99.9%of the time. The only place he doesn't use a booster is if I need him to ride on the third row if the Yukon because his head is over the headrest with a booster and the belt locks every single time with a HBB back there. I prefer him in a booster for the added hip support.

I always think even if Sam fit without one, I would still use something until he is a bit older with stronger bones. I think I would at least get him a BB for that car, for the added protection keeping the belt low.

hrice

Dustin is over the weight limit for the BB. We are downsizing to a Civic this week. An awesome CSO member is sending me her Clek Oto to hopefully make my 3 across work. It's a Canadian booster similar to the BB in that it doesn't have armrests and is very narrow (14.5").

mlohry

hrice said:
Dustin is over the weight limit for the BB. We are downsizing to a Civic this week. An awesome CSO member is sending me her Clek Oto to hopefully make my 3 across work. It's a Canadian booster similar to the BB in that it doesn't have armrests and is very narrow (14.5").

Cool you will have to post a pic of that, never seen one. Thanks for all the help :)

Kat_Momof3

FirstTime.jpg

seatbelt low on hips and crossing between neck and edge of shoulder

he sits all the way back, knees bent at the edge, feet flat on the floor (I really really find this one key, even though it's not mentioned in the 5-step test... it should be step 6)

he can stay this way the entire ride (even when sleeping

now here's a pic of him in his dad's car (same shirt, different pants, no hoodie)... the reason he doesn't pass here is almost completely all about the lapbelt... it's up on his abdomen... so he HAS to use a booster in this car still... period.

just thought it might help to show the same size child fitting so differently in two vehicles

JeffreyCobaltNoBooster.jpg

mlohry

Kat_Momof3 said:
seatbelt low on hips and crossing between neck and edge of shoulder

he sits all the way back, knees bent at the edge, feet flat on the floor (I really really find this one key, even though it's not mentioned in the 5-step test... it should be step 6)

he can stay this way the entire ride (even when sleeping

now here's a pic of him in his dad's car (same shirt, different pants, no hoodie)... the reason he doesn't pass here is almost completely all about the lapbelt... it's up on his abdomen... so he HAS to use a booster in this car still... period.

just thought it might help to show the same size child fitting so differently in two vehicles

Yeah, big change between pics. There is no way my DS could even come close to 5 step in our Ody.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC