Question When did you child ask for a booster?

Jessica61624

When did your child start asking to ride in a booster? My dd is 4 and really wants one. I've told her when she turns 5 and she's ok with that. She informed me she needs the purple Monterey for her 5th birthday. She tells me almost every time we get in the car.

ADS

bnsnyde

Mine don't know what they are, lol.
Even the 5-year-old. He asks why it has no seatbelt on it if he sees one.

Dillipop

DS2, who just turned 5 has been asking for at least a year. I told him that when he turns 6, we'll discuss it further, but until then he'll just have the occasional ride in a booster. He's good in a booster when we have used one, but I don't fully trust him to be good 100% of the time.

cookie123

Never. When Brett got his GN switched over to booster mode this spring, he informed me that he had hated the harness, yet never complained! That boy is a sweetie.:love: He was 7, and had outgrown the harness height.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
DD3 and 4 have been asking for MONTHS... :( DD3 *just* turned 5, DD4 will be 4 in December... Big sisters are in boosters/seat belt only (DD1). DD3 has just started to booster train, in case she ends up in a friends car etc. DD4 can want all she wants... LOL It will be at least *next* Christmas before her butt ever hits a booster LOL

lanwenyi

DD just asked me for the first time today. She says she wants a seat like Cousin J's (Harmony Literider) b/c she's "getting big now". She turns 4 in a week. Yeah, not happening. I will, however, turn her ffing in her Radian after her bday if she asks to.

miraclebabies

My Dd.. who turns 5 in feb has been asking since may or June. When we took a preschool feild trip and she and another little boy where the only ones in a harnessed seat. *sigh* I told her when she gets a little older, she's only 37# and is a little to hyper and falls asleep alot so I'm not comfortable with a booster yet. I just ordered her a cow frontier which should be in a few days but in a yr or two it will be passed down to her younger brother or sister who are still rear facing. Some of her non school friends ages 4.5-7 (my neice including) ride in a frontier so she still things it's ok to be harnessed like them. :)

alake

Summer is 5 and a half, and had been asking to ride in a booster seat since she was 3. I told her that I expected her to ride in a harness until at least 40 pounds, and done kindergarten. She made the switch last month to a full time booster. She is 44 pounds, and she started grade 1 this morning. Leah hasn't asked yet. She turned four on August 22. She will be in a harness for a long time to come. She is only 35 pounds, and just starting pre k. Summer rides in a harnessed seat when we travel. We are on the road lots. We take the kids to the cabin, and travel a lot for my BF work.

Caroline162

My crazy 6 year old is insisting on staying harnessed!! :confused: I think her Regent is just comfy and easy to buckle, and she feels secure in it. When we are in a booster, I explain to her why she has to sit properly, it freaks her out (she is a worry-er). I really need to pass her Regent down to her sister soon, so I am having the opposite problem LOL!

christineka

None of my kids have asked for one- until ds had been put back into a harness. Then he begged for a booster. Until he had one again and found out what a pain it was to buckle, then he asked for a harnessed seat:) My 6 year old rides both harnessed and boostered and is happy with either option.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Daughter started asking for one at 6.5 and went FT booster at 7.25 when she had demonstrated responsible booster usage. She asked to go to a backless in our sedan at age 9 and I was okay with that; she chooses to remain in a highbacked booster in the SUV since there is no headrest in the middle position and she'd rather sit in the center than sit in a backless.

BabyKaykes

He started asking at 3.5-4yo (while still RF) because his cousins were in boosters. I said he could have one when he turned 6yo. Now he's approaching 6yo and when I asked which color ProBooster he wanted (while showing him pics), he asked for "a green one, with buckles" :rolleyes: So I ordered the ProSport.

However, his seat in my mom's car has been a high back TB since he was just over 4yo and 40lb. And in DH's car is a Monarch and has been for about 6mths maybe.

VoodooChile

When she started kindergarten, and saw other kids in them in car line (she probably noticed in pre-k but never asked then). She was the youngest kindergartener in her school (maybe in the state), so most of her classmates were boostered, most in nbb, a few in nothing :mad: although the school was pretty good about having the SRO hang out occasionally to chat with parents about TN's booster law (some were pretty egregious offenders--kindergartners in the front seat with no seat belt, etc.). I told her not until she had at least turned 5, which was early October, and was at least 40 lbs. It was late October/early November when we took some practice runs and she did well, so we took the harness out of her Frontier, along with warnings (various and sundry) about behaviors that would lead to said harness being put back in. She's a great booster rider.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
well , we started using one sometimes at 4.5, and by about 5.5 she was in a booster most of the time....she is turning 7 in a couple weeks, and could, if necessary, use her nauti in harness mode, but expresses a large desire to remain in a booster. I let her go backless for the first time a coupe weeks ago, and at first she was scared, but now she is begging to go backless all the time, which is..not gonna happen.

luckyclov

DS1 asked for one at 5. And we considered it. And then he moved fulltime into one (HBB) at 5 1/2.

DD is 7 and still hasn't asked for one. But she doesn't sit properly in one for very long, either, so it's probably a good thing.

Jessica61624

clov878 said:
DS1 asked for one at 5. And we considered it. And then he moved fulltime into one (HBB) at 5 1/2.

DD is 7 and still hasn't asked for one. But she doesn't sit properly in one for very long, either, so it's probably a good thing.

That's my fear is she's so set on it if she doesn't do well it will be a fight to get her to use the harness. We've talked about the rule and I think she will do good but you just never know!

Kat_Momof3

Ruthie mentioned it starting at 3-4 for a bit... then again at 5... then she was happy with having one as a spare... but was so proud of being allowed to move to one full time when she outgrew the Nauti.

Jeffrey started asking to go to one full time when Damian outgrew the Regent (so Jeffrey was 5)... I let him at 6.

thtr4me

My 5.5 year old has just asked about them, but that was because we let him ride in our backup combo seat in booster mode to the gas station (2 blocks down the road). Now he is curious about it and wants to know when he will be big enough to ride like that all the time. Poor guy is such a peanut though I don't think he will meet the weight requirements for boostering in his regular seat until 1st or 2nd grade (he is starting Kindy now).

canadiangie

My 5.5yo is begging to go to a booster. She's gone from begging to RF to begging to booster. She's only 37 pounds, so it will be a while before a booster is a legal option here.

Jan06twinmom

DS never asked for a booster seat. I moved him to a booster seat part-time at 5y9m because we passed along a seat to his smaller twin sister. He outgrew the matching seat a month later in the other car. DS still rides harnessed in a Regent in our main car.

DD asked for a booster sometime after she turned 6yo. I moved her to a booster seat part -time at 6y2m. She asked when she could ride in a booster seat all of the time and I told her that it would happen sometime in first grade. She is still riding in a Radian in our main car.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC