s/o Peg Perego on infant ranking list

Jan06twinmom

Why is the Peg Perego 30/30 seat on the bottom of so many people's list?

For anyone who didn't put it at the bottom or next to bottom, why did you rank it higher than other seats?

Melanie

ADS

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
mine would be cost vs life and the fact that there are other car seats out there that cost 100 dollars less that will last a baby longer and its expiration date is longer. I have never installed one so I can't comment on that aspect

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I hate the way it installs (or doesn't :whistle:) with a seatbelt. Peg even recommends LATCH installs, presumably because the seatbelt can be so finicky. (It's not that you can't install it, usually, but that it loosens very easily, especially when a parent tries to take the carrier out without pulling the release all the way.)

I hate the puzzle buckle.

I hate...at least two other things about it, but I forget what.

And I especially hate that parents think it's the best, safest thing out there just because it's the most expensive.

JerseyGirl'sMama

I just installed my first last Friday and it was a PITA. I forget the vehicle, but we were installing in the center with a lap only belt. It was a very narrow spot, but we had to work and work. Finally getting it in with a pyramid of noodles and the boot mostly down. No fun.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I hate seatbelt installs. (Yes, I hate them in the BabyTrend, too, which is a similar belt path and similar difficulties.) I hate that the handle is almost always in the wrong position when I see them in cars. I hate that they're so hard to get in and out of the base when uninstalled especially- which you need to do to install, and to teach parents. I hate that parents think they're the greatest seat ever because it's expensive and the fabrics are nice- until they have to install them in their sports car... and we can't get it center and it HAS to go outboard, and pushes the front seat all the way up... I've seen many a time when reclining to the "maximum allowed" recline would be DANGEROUSLY upright for a newborn, and parents had to make a choice to "overrecline" by the angle indicator, or endanger baby's airway. I hate that the crotch buckle is so far out (hate that on the Graco seats too) and that the head wings push heads forward on small babies.

There are other things that are nice. I like the no-rethread adjust. Nice fabrics. Made in Italy. Um... I think that's it... ;)

bnsnyde

I never used one. I have latch. So for me it sounds like an easy install. It would probably be second on my list.

In the store, I liked the head support.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
I hate the way it installs (or doesn't :whistle:) with a seatbelt. Peg even recommends LATCH installs, presumably because the seatbelt can be so finicky. (It's not that you can't install it, usually, but that it loosens very easily, especially when a parent tries to take the carrier out without pulling the release all the way.)

I hate the puzzle buckle.

I hate...at least two other things about it, but I forget what.

And I especially hate that parents think it's the best, safest thing out there just because it's the most expensive.

I hate seatbelt installs. (Yes, I hate them in the BabyTrend, too, which is a similar belt path and similar difficulties.) I hate that the handle is almost always in the wrong position when I see them in cars. I hate that they're so hard to get in and out of the base when uninstalled especially- which you need to do to install, and to teach parents. I hate that parents think they're the greatest seat ever because it's expensive and the fabrics are nice- until they have to install them in their sports car... and we can't get it center and it HAS to go outboard, and pushes the front seat all the way up... I've seen many a time when reclining to the "maximum allowed" recline would be DANGEROUSLY upright for a newborn, and parents had to make a choice to "overrecline" by the angle indicator, or endanger baby's airway. I hate that the crotch buckle is so far out (hate that on the Graco seats too) and that the head wings push heads forward on small babies.

There are other things that are nice. I like the no-rethread adjust. Nice fabrics. Made in Italy. Um... I think that's it... ;)

:yeahthatsad: Basically what they said.

In my experience, it's a beast to install with a seatbelt. (The BabyTrends have a similar problem due to that weirdo belt path.) Because most folks seem to want to install in the center and in so many vehicles you can't do center latch installs, I often find that we have to put it in with the vehicle belt in the center if they're determined to have it there. It's hard to get in and out of the base, the puzzle buckle, plus the recline angle issue...blah. Plus the shorter lifespan on the seat for something that costs so much and is not easy to use just make it not a top pick for me.

Sure, it works great for some situations and for some parents...but in general, if you put a Peg seat and a Keyfit (for example) in front of me and ask what I'd rather install and use, I'll pick the Keyfit everyday and twice on Sunday. :shrug-shoulders:

BabyKaykes

....I hate that they're so hard to get in and out of the base when uninstalled especially- which you need to do to install, and to teach parents. ... I've seen many a time when reclining to the "maximum allowed" recline would be DANGEROUSLY upright for a newborn....

These are the main things I don't like about it. It's super-crazy upright and the force required to pull it out of the base is enough to jolt a sleeping baby and startle a newborn.

luckyclov

Well, first and foremost, it's far too much dough for how much of a PITA it is. It's just not, IMO, anything special.

It's a borderline nightmare to install with a seatbelt. Yeah, most people have LATCH, but a lot of people prefer to put their newborns, especially first-borns, in a center position, which, usually, isn't equipped with LATCH. The more complicated the install = higher chance of misuse.

It doesn't fit newborns especially well and I've seen a lot head slump going on with newbies. It tends to be, or appear to be, a little too upright.

The handle MUST be down when in the car. Minor, maybe, but still annoying to me. And, again, it falls under one of those areas where parents aren't going to realize it (because, in real life, not many people read the manual cover-to-cover and file away mental notes like us freaks) and just not do it.

The puzzle buckle doesn't really bother me. But, maybe it would if it were a fulltime, everyday thing.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, handle and headwings! Those are the two other things I hate!

bnsnyde said:
I never used one. I have latch. So for me it sounds like an easy install. It would probably be second on my list.

All of the cars I've done it in have had LATCH...just not in the center. And I'm always installing for first-time parents, and they always want the kid in the center. So seatbelt install it is.

Pixels said:
Yet you own a Coccoro, which also has a puzzle buckle. Is there something special about the Peg puzzle buckle?

Yes, it's more evil. I thought I'd dislike the CCO's puzzle buckle, but it's oddly intuitive. The Peg always seemed harder to me, though I'm sure I'd get used to it. If that were my only problem with the seat I doubt I'd even bring it up, but we were listing our grievances.

WhatAboutPuppy

:D

It's top of my list. lol MY list. For ME.

I don't believe I've ever recommended it to a parent. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've never told a parent who's infant seat shopping that I even LIKE the seat, let alone love it. Simply for every single reason that has been mentioned (except the puzzle buckle, they don't bother me in the least and my top recommendation is Combi).

But for me personally... I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the orange, I love the head rest (really, in all seats, I have a crazy obsession with headrests), I love the look of the seat (aesthetics are a biggy to me, don't get me wrong I'll buy whatever it takes to keep my kid safe... like the radian, I didn't really care for the look at all but at one point it was my only option), frankly, in this area I know if I were to purchase this seat I'd get a good portion of my money back when I was done using it and well, I have and will spend thousands of dollars in car seats by the time I'm done using them so even though it's expensive it just means I will save a little longer (just like I will for the Foonf).
You buy the seat that works for you, that you can use correctly and fits your vehicle, and fits your child, once you've hit the points you can go for cute... It works wonderfully in my car using latch or seat belt with the handle down (Honda Element).
:love:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Well it's at the top of my list, like WAP said...for me. I don't recommend them to other people because they are pricey and you can get other seats that aren't as heavy and easier to install. But since those things are not big on my list it is a great seat for me.

I have owned 3 and have never once had an install issue and I have installed them in a bevy (15+) of vehicles. But I see the "it's so hard to install with a seatbelt" enough around here that I believe it must not work in a lot of vehicles...just not any of mine or my family members.:) The easiest install I have ever done was this seat baseless in my husbands truck it seriously took less than 30 seconds and was perfect.

I love it because I like the head protection. Do I know if it makes a true difference in safety? No. But in my head it helps for intrusion and for projectile protection because it cocoons my babies head and face. I love how it looks and that it they come in "adult" colors. I have had a black and dark gray one, an orange one and now I have an all black one and I think they are the best looking infant seat available. I love that they feel solid. I bought a SafeSeat for my 4 year old after he outgrew his PP and I hated it so much because compared to the PP it was SO flimsy. I like the open belt path so I don't have to worry about the shoulder belt making it tip. I like the way all the extra padding/pads are all secured to the seat so you don't have to worry about anything slipping out of place. The expiration date doesn't affect me because I don't reuse infant seats. I sell them when I am done with them and with the PP you can still get a nice chunk of change back when you resell them. This is why the price doesn't bother me either. Its like the high end strollers people *want* them but don't want to pay full price so they buy them used which means I can easily find a buyer who wants one for $75 off the price of new which means I only pay $75 for the seat.

Oh and mine doesn't have a puzzle buckle so they must have done away with that. My last one from 2006 didn't have one either...so maybe the puzzle buckle was short lived?

I mean for real...
DSC03046.jpg
....:love:

canadiangie

If they put a lock-off on the base it would move way up my list.

If the head wings were lined with eps/epp foam it would move way up my list. Right now it's just comfort padding on plastic. A little bit of eps is offered only along the sides, and its behind the head wings, against the shell.

It it had seat to base recognition it would move up my list. It's a heavy seat. If you could just get it to the base and have it fall into place it would be nicer. I've met a few where unless the parents give an extra push down on the seat it isn't fully engaged on the base. I don't like that.

I wish it had two crotch positions, a smaller chest clip, and a lower bottom harness position. Approved for 4 pounds sure would be nice since it's a go-to seat with triplets because of the Triplette stroller.

In Canada you are permitted to leave the handle in arb position, which is nice.

I always install the base so the angle indicator is as far into green as is permitted. The angle is still pretty upright, tho. It's a little worrisome for sure.

It's a very very common seat here. I've done so many I'm used to the locking clip fight. I just can't understand why they can't add a lock-off.

farrbabies

I actually liked my peg seat. When it got too heavy to lift I just left it in. Plus when my third came along it was the only one that would fit in my 3 across civic. The install was seat belt only. It worked well. And I got decent coin for it when I was done with it. I didn't like the puzzle buckle so I went to peg and they replaced the entire seat belt for free.

arly1983

When a friend let me borrow one for a week, I gave it back in two days.

The main points I didn't like were: handle must be down in the car and hard to get out of the base and heavy

For the price point, I was also puzzled by the lack of epp or esp foam in the headrest...

bnsnyde

Well, there is (I THINK) a Peg in my parent magazine. It's a short article that explains proper carseat usage and encourages getting seats checked Septemeber 24. But the carseat is wayyyy too upright for the baby.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC