I posted links about ERFing

luvmy2

on all the forums I visit... I have gotten some very negative responses back! :( I guess some ppl don't want to hear it..

ADS

southpawboston

How could people be negative? I just don't get it :confused:

it's easy to understand... because many people don't care to hear (or trust) info that goes against common practice when it is coming from someone who isn't an authority figure. that's why we need better laws, because people obey the law more than they listen to random strangers.

luvmy2

it's easy to understand... because many people don't care to hear (or trust) info that goes against common practice when it is coming from someone who isn't an authority figure. that's why we need better laws, because people obey the law more than they listen to random strangers.

You are SO right!

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I usually get the "I'm very informed, and I understand that RFing is safer, but DC would scream and scream bloddy murder the whole time, and hated rear-facing so much, and listening to him/her scream was making it less safe, so I turned him/her around". I have an odd feeling that they hate it so much because the parent9s) never thought/knew that they could make the seat more upright... My DD would hate it too if she was still at 45*!

jn__

their kid didn't scream, they just said that, because they have to turn the kid around so he can see the built in dvd screen, you see... ;)

luvmy2

On one forum they all said that their kid was too tall, they screamed when they were rf'ing, one girl even said her doctor told her that if the baby's feet were on the back of the seat & they are in a car wreck the baby's neck would be injured! :eek:
On another forum they are all pretty much calling me a hypocrite b/c I bought a Regent..

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I like this one http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/
It makes it sounds like the safety experts are WRONG, and then flips it to make us look wrong for ONLY saying 1/20 :D

Just take heart, if you spread the message lovingly enough, someone will change their way of thinking... eventually everyone will say...'oh yeah, i remember when she said that, i thought she was nuts, i guess she was right all along!'

:)

luvmy2

I read that msnbc article earlier, and I was sort of confused!

I am staying as positive as I can about it, a girl on my birth club actually said she had been telling her dh about the links I have posted & they are going to keep their ds rf'ing! :thumbsup:

Melizerd

I've been lucky to have gotten a lot of positive feed back online and I've convinced a few people to keep their kids RFing longer. IRL though isn't the same though.

oxeye

Yeah this never works. I got the same type of responses - "but my baby just screamed and distracted me so it was safer for me to turn baby around" and the famous "I know you mean well but these posts really just make me feel like a bad mother" responses. I've also had people tell me that I could not say whether I would actually do best practice because you never know how you're going to parent until you in that situation. Umm, maybe true for some things but NOT for me when it comes to the safety of my children in the car. I kept DD1 RF for over 3.5 years. I think I'll manage to keep DD2 RF to the limit of her seat as well and harnessed/boostered until they safely fit in a seat belt.

I gave up after that and now only talk about car seats when someone else brings it up. I will always recommend best practice but unless some is seeking advice, they usually aren't receptive to it. :(

I still hope some kids are safer because of me, though.

Last edited:

amyg530

dont give up hope, i'm a changed mom b/c of some of the members here. i FF at 9 months b/c DS was soooo tall and i thought he would break his legs (and i didnt know anybetter) now at a few days shy of 2 hes back RF (for about a month now) and hes obviously much taller. so you can change peoples minds, just not everybody. thats just the way it is when you try to do good, a bunch of people will think you're crazy and get mad and try to bring you down but if just once, you convince a mom to learn more and make her kids safe then you've done good.

go find the new (july) issue of parents mag and turn to page 28 and read the goldfish add about the starfish story

Ali

Definitely try and remember the people who follow best practices based on the information you provided.

As for the bad comments: I think most people just don't want to hear they did it "wrong" or didn't know. So they get defensive.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
their kid didn't scream, they just said that, because they have to turn the kid around so he can see the built in dvd screen, you see... ;)

I've actually had people tell me this is why they ff their kid. Evan can still see the dvd rfing so no problems there. :)

elle7715

I'm sorry you're getting bad responses :(
But don't let it stop you, I never knew about ERF until someone posted about it on a message board. Now both my kids are RF and will be for a long time.

luvmy2

You girls are so encouraging!! Thanks so much!!! I will continue to post about it, I've actually gotten a few more positive posts back today! :D

Oh.. and I will have to go read that starfish story!
IRL.. I have two friends that decided to go with EH instead of boosters, so that is a good thing! One bought a Regent & the other bought an Apex 65. :thumbsup:

JaRylan

You girls are so encouraging!! Thanks so much!!! I will continue to post about it, I've actually gotten a few more positive posts back today! :D

Oh.. and I will have to go read that starfish story!
IRL.. I have two friends that decided to go with EH instead of boosters, so that is a good thing! One bought a Regent & the other bought an Apex 65. :thumbsup:

You never know when you will make a difference so you just have to keep trying and then you will get rewards like this!

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
People seem to automatically assume that when you post information like that, you're saying that people who don't do it are bad parents. I think people take it very personally.

Keep posting it! Even if you change one person's mind, it's worth it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC