Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

suv/wagon barriers while using top tether anchor?

Hi - I'm new here, but I am nut about carseat and car safety, so I think I'll fit right in. We're looking for a new car and of course I'm looking at all of the ratings. I was interested in the Subaru Outback wagon (we have a 70 lb dog and a 2-year-old), but if you want to use the Subaru cargo barrier, you can't use the top tether anchor! I've already had a long conversation with Subaru about this, but it seems unbelievable to me that the safety feature on a car would interfere with the safety feature of the carseat. When that's the case, how do you choose?

Does anyone know of any wagons/suvs that have crash-tested cargo barriers that do not interfere with top tether anchors? I've heard that Volvos do, but I'm not sold on a Volvo yet. I'd really like a wagon or suv, but would also like to be safe.

Thank you,

Sarah

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: suv/wagon barriers while using top tether anchor?

Would an option be a a harness type restrain for the dog? or maybe crated while in the car and the crate tied down? we only were briefed on pet safety in cars durring our CPSTech class only b/c our instructor is a HUGE pet lover! LOL
    Is the barrier meshed like a cage type? i would think you could just tread the tethere trough it and hook it? I don't know though??? Hummm maybe others will jump in, i'll check out my LATCH manual to see if it mentions the barriers and top tethers for that car...
    Becky CPS Tech, driver of '05 Quest, and Mama to
    DS 8y 6m (51.5" 61# torso 20") Backless Turbo and parkway
    DD 6y 4m (47" 42.5# torso 16") Parkway and Radian F/F
    DD 4y 1m (42" 35# torso 15") Marathon F/F

CPS Fanatic

why aren't you sold on a volvo? top of the safety ratings, and you can get one in a nice wagon model (V70).
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    why aren't you sold on a volvo? top of the safety ratings, and you can get one in a nice wagon model (V70).
    Ditto! I love Volvo's but right now they are out of our price range
    Julie mommy to
    Rylee- 6yrs 40# 43" - Madison Regent
    Hannah- 4yrs 37# 40" - Madison Regent
    Ashlynn- 34 months 28# 33" - Brooke MA

Well we're not opposed to a Volvo, but they are expensive. We currently have a '92 Volvo and my husband is so sick of it I'm afraid that he won't look at it with any positive feelings. He's tall and the headroom doesn't tend to be great. So I just wanted to know if there are other options out there. Thanks!

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    Actually, the Subies generally do better on the safety front than the Volvo wagons and sedans as a group (though the IIHS has not seen fit to test an Outback--why, I don't know.) I considered buying a V50 when I bought my Legacy, but the Legacy was far enough ahead of the Volvo wagon pack for crash test ratings that it wasn't even a serious question, especially given the price and reliability concerns. I was also a little worried about those pesky Volvo headrests for seat installation.

The cargo barrier thing is annoying, though. It's possible Volvo does better on that front. I have the same issue with my Legacy wagon, except I have two kids and two 70 lb dogs. I have not satisfactorily resolved it, and probably won't worry about it again until the fall, as my dogs rarely travel with me in the car during the summer. But it's definitely an issue.

Edited to add: I would have liked those pretensioners on the Volvo rear seatbelts, though!
    Last edited by twokidstwodogs; 06-15-2007 at 10:23 PM.
    DD#1 (7 y, 5 mo, 54 in, 68 lbs ) Clek Olli
    DD#2 (4 y, 2 months, 43 in, 42 lbs) Britax Marathon