Vehicle seat covers- driver and front passenger only

Brianna

Are front seat vehicle seat covers considered safe or okay to use?

I just bought an 08 Malibu which has side air bags, when I search for seat covers custom to the model & year it says that they have holes in the sides for the side air bags.

ADS

Pixels

There is a forum member who had a vehicle with side air bags. She got seat covers custom-made and modified so that they would be safe with the airbags and not interfere. Well, she was in a side impact and the seat covers did interfere with the airbag and she was injured as a result.

So no, I wouldn't use them in a vehicle with side airbags mounted in the vehicle seat.

luckyclov

There is a forum member who had a vehicle with side air bags. She got seat covers custom-made and modified so that they would be safe with the airbags and not interfere. Well, she was in a side impact and the seat covers did interfere with the airbag and she was injured as a result.

So no, I wouldn't use them in a vehicle with side airbags mounted in the vehicle seat.
Do you remember which member it was - or know what I search for to try to locate any related threads?

I've had this arguement with DH before. He wants custom covers for the front seats of his truck. My foot is firmly planted and he hasn't done it, but he just doesn't want to believe it'd be an issue since they claim to be "crash tested" and there's even a YouTube video demonstrating how the airbags will deploy through the cover.:rolleyes:

OP, to answer your question, no, they are not safe. They are not tested WITH your vehicle BY the manufacturer. If there are sensors and airbags in your vehicle seats, then seat cover(s), even though they may be custom, may cause fault in how airbags/sensors perform.

Brianna

Maybe I should give Chevy a call and see if they'll test them for me :p

Oh well, I'll just have to ban anything other than water in my new (to me) car.

Pixels

Do you remember which member it was - or know what I search for to try to locate any related threads?

I've had this arguement with DH before. He wants custom covers for the front seats of his truck. My foot is firmly planted and he hasn't done it, but he just doesn't want to believe it'd be an issue since they claim to be "crash tested" and there's even a YouTube video demonstrating how the airbags will deploy through the cover.:rolleyes:

OP, to answer your question, no, they are not safe. They are not tested WITH your vehicle BY the manufacturer. If there are sensors and airbags in your vehicle seats, then seat cover(s), even though they may be custom, may cause fault in how airbags/sensors perform.

Poster is MomE. Here's one post where she mentioned it.

MomE

That's me!

The linked post says all that needs to be said, I think. But I have gotten much better. I'm just very lucky that accident didn't kill me and that I was looking in the direction I was looking when I got hit. If I had hit my head in other places, I might not be here. So just don't put anything in front of the airbags no matter what promises are made to you. I don't even move my sun visor to the side to shield the sun for fear it will smack me upside the head if the curtains deploy.

Brianna

My email to Chevrolet:
Are there any seat covers that have been crash tested and approved to use? I'm interested in protecting my seats but don't want to interfere with airbag deployment.

Their response:
Dear Brianna,

Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to inquire about the seat covers for your 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.

Seat covers will not interfere with the deployment of the air bag, since it does not deploy from the seat. Front air bag systems in GM vehicles are triggered to deploy when the system detects and verifies a sudden deceleration. Similarly, side impact sensors mounted in the doors or posts of the vehicle detect sudden lateral deceleration and, once verified, signal deployment of the side impact air bags (if equipped).

An electrical signal is sent to the Air Bag Inflator (front or side) which begins a chemical reaction that produces (harmless) Nitrogen Gas. This happens very quickly and inflates the bag (s) in less than 1/40 of a second. The bags are vented and deflate on their own.

Since you are interested in purchasing seat covers, I recommend that you contact the Parts Department at your local dealership regarding your request. They have been established by Chevrolet as a comprehensive resource for all part information concerning pricing, availability and compatibility.

Thoughts?

Brianna

That's what I thought... I pick the car up Saturday, I'll be sure to find the page in the manual about air bags so I can reference that for my e-mail back.

MomE

My email to Chevrolet:
Are there any seat covers that have been crash tested and approved to use? I'm interested in protecting my seats but don't want to interfere with airbag deployment.

Their response:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are the answer matches the question. You asked about airbag deployment. My airbags did deploy. The problem is they were blocked by the seat cover. So the airbags deployed into the cover. They didn't come through the cover and out to protect me.

The answer they gave shows that they answered directly the question that was asked. Does that make sense or am I still brain damaged? :)

ETA: I just don't think seat covers are necessary. Not sure what it is you need to protect a seat from that's more important than protecting yourself from. My seats were pristine in the car I got hit in. And I had a baby that spit up every time she ate. Just take the initiative to clean/treat the seats and they'll be fine.

Brianna

I e-mailed Chevy before I got the response about your covers preventing the airbag from deploying. I pick up my car Saturday so I don't have the owner's manual yet- I thought I may have been confused about my model actually having airbags that deploy from the seat. I don't doubt at all that it is important to be sure seat-deploying airbags aren't obstructed by covers.

Even if they have holes, I don't feel comfortable that they might not shift slightly in an accident and block part of the airbag. Even if 99% of it is unblocked, who's to say that 1% won't make a difference in the angle you hit it at, etc.

If an airbag comes out of the seat, I wouldn't put a seat cover on in. If it comes out of the door or some other part of the car, then I'd be fine with one.

MomE

Right.... But here's where I think the confusion is based on the answer from Chevy. You stated you don't want the covers to interfere with deployment. My covers didn't interfere with deployment. My airbags deployed.

The answer may mean that deployment sensor are located elsewhere than the seat or deployment sensors are not interfered with.

But that wasn't my problem. My problem was my airbags deployed. The cover didn't allow them to come out to protect me.

Does that make sense? You stated deployment was the issue. But it isn't.

Again, there's just nothing that important to protect your seats from that is as important as protecting yourself. I just don't see the point in seat covers, and the ironic part is, I never wanted them to begin with. But it was so important that this person give me the seat covers. So I just took them.

Brianna

You know how sometimes things just don't come out quite right on the internet? :eek:

I meant interfering with deployment as in interfering with allowing the airbags to deploy correctly- not being impeded or affected in any way by the covers.

Now that I know that the model I purchased does indeed have airbags that deploy from the seat I'm no longer interested in purchasing covers. I fully agree that keeping seats clean isn't worth the risk of not being fully protected in an accident.

MomE

Again, I think it's all a misunderstanding or interpretation of words.

I see they clearly said it doesn't deploy from the seat. But I think what they mean is that deployment is not triggered by the seat. Does that make sense? Like what triggers deployment is not the seat itself but a sensor located elsewhere.

In my line of work I see that words and the way questions are phrased make all the difference in the answer. So if the question had been stated differently there might be a different answer. Like say, one does not want the airbags to be impeded by the seat cover....

Again, I still have issues coming up with words.... I used to be much sharper than this.... But are you getting what I'm trying to say?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC