I can't believe this mother!

bectoo2

Hi All,

Last night I was driving home and saw a little girl, probably about 4 years old, riding unrestrained in the backseat of a vehicle. No carseat, no seatbelt. As I approached the car I could see she was holding something up to her mouth. When I got side by side I could see she was chewing on the end of a screwdriver!!! There was so much junk in the car. I just couldn't imagine what would happen if the mom had to slam on her brakes or if they were in an accident. I was in such shock all I could do was stare and the mom was completely oblivious. I had to pass this on as I knew this board would appreciate the absolute craziness of it. I know that some people are not as into car safety but common sense should tell you to at the very least put on a seatbelt and not let your child chew on a screwdriver!

ADS

broken4u05

When you said no seltbelt i was like that happens all the time. But the screwdriver while not buckled. I dont even want to think about what could happen. EWW and poor child

Suzibeck

Wow! Even a not so sudden stop could cause serious problems in that scenerio. Some people just shouldn't have kids. :mad:

lovinwaves

Ugh, is the thought that came to mind when thinking what that child would have looked like after an accident. :(

flipper68

Senior Community Member
And to think, I won't let kids I watch stand/walk with FOOD or a lollipop in their mouths.

Geesh, I'm a bit over protective.

At the same time I've spent many years hanging out with special needs kids for whom chewing and swallowing is a major production. I also I had a student blinded in one eye by scissors (long before he was in my class) and another (the year after I had him in class) loose sight because of a pen. The second was a really freaky accident. He and several kids were on a school trip. Someone found some sort of unique pen on the ground. The cap was really tight so when it finally/suddenly came off, the pen went into the kid's eye. :eek: :eek:

In defense of the parent, she probably didn't realize the child had the screwdriver. . .

Loves2sing

Can't we have some sort of a test to have kids, please?

Even if it's multiple choice!! LOL

In defense of the parent, she probably didn't realize the child had the screwdriver. . .

It sickens me to hear about this story, but even if the kid had been properly restrained, even if she hadn't the chance to put a screwdriver into her mouth, the screwdriver SHOULDN'T have been in the car at all, but in the trunk instead. It is one thing to have a window cover become a prjectile in an accident, but a screwdriver? Are you suicidal? That's nuts IMO!:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC