Seatbelt position problems for an adult!

farrbabies

I didn't know where to ask this but....since there are so many experts out there please see if you can help me out. I'm having trouble with my own seat belt when I drive any of my two vehicles. I have a 2005 toyota sienna and a 2005 honda civic. I am short...5 foot 2 with shoes!!! I always have to hold my seat belt down otherwise it is cutting right across my neck and over and above my chest. I cannot lower the seat belt any more... I also wear a insulin pump tucked in my bra so I am always moving my belt to get it out of the way. I remember when I was little they had something to help with the position of the seat belt..but that was for kids. Some days it drives me so batty I wish I could sit in my daughters frontier because I would be much more comfortable not being strangled while driving. Oh and I've raised the seats as high as they can go. Excuse me m if this is a silly post. I'm always jealous of my kids in their comfy seats!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you are not terribly wide in the hips -- and if you would still be able to reach the pedals -- you might consider a backless booster.

Otherwise, all you can do is what you can do. I am a bit taller than you, and my belt fit is borderline in many vehicles. I just do diligence in placing it as best I can, and one of these days I might break down and buy the Harmony Olympian, lol. (If I lose a bit of weight I will fit in the Frontier and I have warned my roommate I will use it in her backseat if I have to ride in it! LOL!) I do find that placing the belt as carefully as possible and locking the belt (when I'm not driving) tends to help a lot. I lock it and snug it up good, and it stays put instead of creeping up. No clue if that's safe, but it seems better to me than seatbelt syndrome...

Disclaimer: I am a child passenger safety technician. This means I am qualified to give advice on keeping kids safe... not necessarily adults, and others may have valid points that I overlooked in the writing of this post! :)

creideamh

I've wondered this same thing. I'm fine in my car, but in the backseat of my mom's, the belt is all kinds of weird. It makes NO sense, since I'm 5'5" (except very lightweight), but the lap belt is too high (actually, same in my dad's Benz. I think I can raise his passenger seat, though.)

I'm going to subscribe to this thread... Super interested in what others have to say.

tam_shops

I see this is a bit old but got up to the top, so figured I'd comment b/c I'm just over 5ft and I drive a Toyota Matrix. The seat belts go down and the seat goes up. And, it fits me fine.

My mom drives a Toyota Corolla and is just under 5ft tall and she has her seat up farther than me (freaks me out) and she manages. She's thrilled she doesn't have to sit on a phone book anymore, b/c in her old VW she used to have to, so she could reach the clutch! LOL

I'd say play around w/ the seat up/down forward/back and the seat belt up/down and see if it helps.

Otherwise, yep, my mom would be in a booster, not a phone book, if her seats didn't adjust so well for her! LOL

And, when you are in the market for a car next time, try a few and ask the salesmen which are best for short people...can certainly say the Corolla! LOL

tam

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As an adult making decisions for *myself*, if the shoulder belt was bugging me (but lap belt placement was fine), I'd make a simple sleeve that velcros over the seatbelt--like a harness pad, but with only 1 layer of fabric. My fabric sleeve might even be in cowmoo :whistle:.

Or I might be tempted to use the Autosafe belt adjuster: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1155621.

Brianna

I'm 5'2" and I only 5 step in a few vehicles. In my Cavalier the lap belt is almost up to my belly button. I just wiggle into place the best I can and sit as upright as possible.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am totally comfortable with the Autosafe Adjuster. It's the only one I'd trust that I've seen.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My lap belt fit is good, but my shoulder belt rides up over my boobs (I'm a DDD/F cup). I just tuck a bandana between the belt and my neck.

I might get the Autosafe adjuster.

My 9yo asks me why I don't ride in a booster, because she knows boosters are to make the belts fit better, lol.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We've had a few threads with pictures showing it in real vehicles. It's actually from New Zealand, and is available worldwide, shipping from there.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We've had a few threads with pictures showing it in real vehicles. It's actually from New Zealand, and is available worldwide, shipping from there.

:thumbsup: The only thing is being able to thread it through your seat bight. I can't fit anything from the front to the back on my driver's seat because it's sewn shut or something.

I wouldn't use the other one a pp linked to because as it pulls the shoulder belt down, it pulls the lap belt up.

Kaitsmom

I'm 5'9 with a DDD bust and my shoulder strap doesn't fit right at all, its constantly cutting across my neck, my lap belt is fine though. I am always readjusting my shoulder belt, but it is so annoying. I was in an accident a few years ago and ended up with the shoulder belt across my neck, thankfully i didnt break anything but had bad whiplash, awful bruising and passed out (was going 65mph when I got hit from behind and slammed into the guy in front of me.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC