britax b-ready question

tinytreasures

We are hoping to adopt a special needs baby. I am looking at the B-ready stroller because the seat would face me. I am not sure how much medial equipment he will need but I am guessing a feeding tube pump, oxygen and monitors.
Would the basket hold some of this stuff? The extra jump seat?
I can't find anything on weight limits for the basket.

Open for opinions for people that have been there too. I really think I would feel better with him facing me.
He is 3 month old right now. I don't know how long it will be to hear if we get picked to be his parents and bring him home. (hopefully in the next 2 months)

ADS

jenrose

It is not advisable to have babies, ESPECIALLY high risk, medically fragile babies, in carseats except as necessary for travelling. Even normal newborns tend to decompensate (reduced oxygenation) in even correctly installed car seats. So if the baby you are adopting needs that much equipment, you're going to need to keep them out of the carseat as much as possible. A regular stroller that has a full recline is a better option, but the best option for a medically fragile baby is a good quality baby carrier that puts the baby upright on your chest (in a Kangaroo Care type position) any time they're not actually in the car.

So I wouldn't buy the car seat based on the travel system options, because you really shouldn't be using the travel system as such anyway.

My preference for short term jaunts (i.e. loading the baby in the carseat in the house so you spend the minimum time in the rain, for example) is something like the Flying Falcon car seat strap. But the idea of schlepping a carseat, stroller, AND all of the equipment a medically fragile baby needs? Sounds less than ideal.

It may be that the least "schleppy" option is to have a convertible (not an infant) seat, put the baby in a mei tai or wrap (whatever works best with the tubes/wires), and sling the monitors over a shoulder backpack or messenger bag style. This will maximize physical contact (very important for medically fragile babies) and minimize the amount of equipment you're dealing with. Having a special needs kid myself, the less total stuff I had to deal with, the better. At one point I was dealing with a low-tone baby, a senile mother in law with mobility issues and a dog on a leash, and a stroller would have made that all utterly impossible. As it was, I put her in a carrier, the dog on a leash, and still had two hands free to deal with everything else.

If the baby is special needs enough, you will HAVE to have a special carseat, as he may not tolerate the positioning of a standard carseat. Most monitors come with a bag with a strap. Oxygen tanks vary in size, but if they're larger, they can be wheeled, and if they're smaller, they come in a bag with a strap.

Feeding tube placement may affect your ability to wear the baby in a sling, but if you can find an experienced babywearing educator, they should be able to help you find something that works for that specific child.

tinytreasures

I wasn't talking about car seat facing me, I was talking about the seat on the stroller ;) I am not worried about the car seats till we know more. (thinking about the Coccoro if he doesn't need a car bed)
The B ready has a bassinet so the baby would be laying down.
I really think a stroller would be the best for our family. We have adopted 5 special needs children but this will be the first one on O2, we have done feeding tubes, monitors and Iv lines.
Thanks for your the flying falcon info, I have never seen that before. Our little ones are not in their bucket seats enough to worry about it, but it is cool.

Eresh

I really like my bumbleride flyer. Instead of a reversible seat, it has a reversible handle. The seat lies flat and the footrest flips all the way up to the belly bar so it worked well for ds2 as a newborn. The downside is it doesn't handle any kind of bumps well.

tinytreasures

I really like my bumbleride flyer. Instead of a reversible seat, it has a reversible handle. The seat lies flat and the footrest flips all the way up to the belly bar so it worked well for ds2 as a newborn. The downside is it doesn't handle any kind of bumps well.

Ohh thanks I really like the queen B style.
The bottom looks great for holding things too. Ouch wish it wasn't so pricey.

tinytreasures

just wanted to say good luck with your adoption and I really respect and appreciate people with hearts like yours :)

Thank you. We don't know if we are the lucky ones that get to parent him yet. Reading on here and trying to figure out what he may need helps me feel like I am doing something while we wait. :love:

Eresh

tinytreasures said:
Ohh thanks I really like the queen B style.
The bottom looks great for holding things too. Ouch wish it wasn't so pricey.

I was fortunate enough to find a gently used one off craigslist in my prefered color :)

cupcakepirate11

I think the b-ready could work well for you, I personally prefer strollers that the seat switches around instead of the handle since the wheels are harder to push if just the handle is switched.

I would guess the basket would hold 25-30 lbs. It wouldn't hurt to call them though and ask! The bassinet would be perfect as well to switch out eventually for a seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC