Just used LATCH for the first time... LOOOOVE!!

V

VanIsleMommy

I know that latch is technically not any "safer" than installing with a seatbelt, but O M G did I just find it so much easier! I usually wrestle with my seat installs for a good 10 minutes (it's been as bad as 2 hours for a first time install of the true fit because I couldn't get it right...) sweating it out, I just put DS's seat in the new equinox using latch for the first time, tightened everything up and it was about 30 seconds. I got out thinking "is that it???"

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE latch!!! :eek:

ADS

scariestone

This made me chuckle because I had the same experience. We used to drive a 95 vovlo 850. No latch, no locking belts and leather seats. To say it was a nightmare to install seats in is an understatement. It took me 2 hours to get our radian in RF. When we bought our forester, I clipped the latch hooks and yanked and it was tight. That was it. Way easier. Unfortunately the radian is the only seat I can use latch with since subaru has the weird seat+child has to be less than 60lbs to use latch.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Every once in awhile I have a parent that has no clue about LATCH and it's a perfect option for their vehicle and seat situation. It's great when their face lights up and they say IT'S THAT EASY? It's fun lol. I always teach about seat belt installation too, but yeah it is nice that it's generally easier!

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I have to laugh at this because I hate LATCH :eek:

It's either me or the car but it's so not easier ;)

I don't like latch either...I don't like the weight limits, I don't like the old style hooks on the scerena, graco seats, and my evenflo tribute , or having to search everywhere for them (Mercedes)

Irishmama

I was so excited to finally own a car that was new enough to have latch (2000 Windstar) and it was fun to finally have TWO ways to play with car seat installs. Well, four if you count in ff and rf installs. :p It is true that some seats are easier with LATCH and others are easier with the seatbelt.

Have fun installing! :D

V

VanIsleMommy

Our new vehicle is an 06 equinox and the latch lower anchors are super easy to find which is nice! the only thing that stinks about them is the center latch is off center so I can only use it for a RF install.

I have to take the 4runner in (no LATCH, only one outboard tether, curved leather seats, PAIN IN THE BUTT to install....) to have a cracked windsheild replaced, move the seat to a courtesy car, then reinstall in the 4runner and pick up a crib tomorrow. Now that I've been spoiled by latch in the new car... I DON'T WANNAAAAA :hitselfonhead: LOL

maybe I'll just use his nautilus outboard tomorrow. I'm pregnant and RF carseat installs multiple times in one day just might make me have a major meltdown to put my 3 year old's biggest tantrums to shame! :)

Emi's Mommy

Maybe I'm just a big nerd, but the hardest part of swapping car seats around was trying to carry it, the stroller, the diaper bag and the baby. I look forward to rental cars so I can try out new installs and 3 across potential. :p

And I'm not even a tech! :D

V

VanIsleMommy

I've always hated car seat installs!!! Of course it does depend on the seat and the vehicle. Some are super easy, and some are a giant pain. I actually found it easier to install my son's myride forward facing in the cab of a towtruck once than it was to install rear facing in the 4runner LOL :)

Now the true fit I HAVEN'T tried RF in the equinox yet... I'll keep you posted on that one ;)

tl01

I don't like latch either...I don't like the weight limits, I don't like the old style hooks on the scerena, graco seats, and my evenflo tribute , or having to search everywhere for them (Mercedes)

On all the Mercedes that I and my family have owned, the LATCH is clearly marked with the markers on the seat back... or now with a flip up thing that says ISOFIX. I've never had a hard time finding LATCH on a Benz. I still maintain that my easiest installs have been in Mercedes. That's one bummer about my Ody.

P1ally

VanIsleMommy said:
Our new vehicle is an 06 equinox and the latch lower anchors are super easy to find which is nice! the only thing that stinks about them is the center latch is off center so I can only use it for a RF install.
Like this? Why only for an rf install? My 04 Malibu has the offset latch, and I always have to make triple sure I'm using the right one. I use the center (b) for ff or rf.

Last edited:

Ninetales

I don't care for LATCH at all. I've tried it with a few seats and I find the seatbelt much easier. The only exception for me is Britax seats. On those I find the LATCH very easy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC