I got rearended today, or I think it's time to replace the carseat

two bricks shy

This is a post I never wanted to make.

We got rear-ended today in stop and go traffic. I was stopped and the guy hit us at low speed, less than 15 mph. DD was in her (correctly installed and used thank you very much :D ) Britax Marathon, RF passenger outboard.

We are all ok. Thank goodness. DD was asleep when it happened and stayed asleep until I woke her to make sure she was ok. EMS came to check her out and all that good stuff. She's good to go :)

The car seat seems ok, but I made sure to tell the insurance I am making the claim against the other driver on that I have a car seat in my car and it is likely needing replacement because it has been in a collision. I've heard both ways to replace or not in something like this, but we'd rather be safe than sorry KWIM.

The claim rep. has approved us to get our car seat replaced with a brand new Britax Marathon if we choose. I just have to let her know make, model, serial number. We'll swap old for new and they will cut the straps of the old then dispose of it. I was really pleased that they were willing to do this for us. I'll update my rave when it all gets settled, but I'm going to let them replace it on their dime and know there is nothing wrong with the seat.

RIP Britax Marathon 3-2007 to 6-2007, you have served us well

ADS

two bricks shy

So Britax says it doesn't need to be replaced....but I feel like I should, esp if the insurance is going to pay for it.

Am I crazy? Am I doing the right thing?

Misty-Bug

I would definately replace it. I am not an expert but there can be hairline fractures or stress fractures not visible to the human eye. Why risk it? Replace the seat like you said you were gonna do.
Glad everyone is ok

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So Britax says it doesn't need to be replaced....but I feel like I should, esp if the insurance is going to pay for it.

Am I crazy? Am I doing the right thing?

No you're not crazy, and yes you're doing the right thing. You don't feel right continuing to use the seat and feel the other one is better off being destroyed. Ins is going to pay for it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not worth it for you to spend the next however many years worrying about if the seat would be safe should you be in another accident. According to Britax it is probably safe, but peace of mind is worth a whole heck of a lot to me, and it sounds like you'd always have that worry lurking in the back of your mind if you kept using the same seat.

Glad to hear you're all ok. And I enjoyed your RIP comment. :)

scatterbunny

I'm glad you are all okay!

Since the insurance company is willing, I'd definitely replace. Britax does say only to replace in a serious crash, but I'd be more comfortable with replacing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC