Recaro ProSport and Tether Weight Limit

tl01

What are your thoughts on the tether weight limit of 52 lbs? Why such a random number!:confused: My son is just about 52 lbs when clothed right now. He isn't currently in the seat and I'm questioning our usage of it now that we are at the limit. Would you only use it as a booster after the tether limit?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I refuse to even consider using the seat until I know the why behind this (and maybe not then, either.)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I would probably just untether it. Using it in booster mode or using it in harness mode without the tether would be the same as far as head excursion, so I'd feel totally comfortable with that.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Refuse to use the seat even below the weight limit with the tether?

For my kids, yeah. Not something I'd put on anyone else but I have almost moral objections to the not allowing tether use for heavier children. Lol. I really feel that is poor design and don't trust the seat at all as a result, even though I know it passed, yada yada. I feel really strongly about top tethers...

My feelings might or might not change if I had a thorough explanation as to why.

bnsnyde

I called Reacro months ago and asked why. Had a long conversation. I basically asked what horrible thing would happen to my child after 52 lbs. tethered. The answer was nothing! That is what it was tested to so they can't claim it'll work after that. Maybe it would fail, etc.

As a parent, I'll choose to use it. My kids are not 52 lbs. yet though.

The wording of MUST REMOVE was odd. I don't see how it's different from seats that say to use the tether up to 40 lbs, except Recaro was pretty explicit about removal.
But, I don't use seats untethered.
Of course, perhaps others would be more comfortable removing it. This is just what I decided to do with the information from Recaro.

Baylor

I thought before the discussion here led to always tether because even if it fails it will have done its job by then.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I thought before the discussion here led to always tether because even if it fails it will have done its job by then.

That's from the car's side, since the anchors are standard. From the carseat's side is rare.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I called Reacro months ago and asked why. Had a long conversation. I basically asked what horrible thing would happen to my child after 52 lbs. tethered. The answer was nothing! That is what it was tested to so they can't claim it'll work after that. Maybe it would fail, etc.

As a parent, I'll choose to use it. My kids are not 52 lbs. yet though.

The wording of MUST REMOVE was odd. I don't see how it's different from seats that say to use the tether up to 40 lbs, except Recaro was pretty explicit about removal.
But, I don't use seats untethered.
Of course, perhaps others would be more comfortable removing it. This is just what I decided to do with the information from Recaro.

This actually makes me madder. They just decided not to test above that? What the heck?

luckyclov

I wanted to know why, too. I was told by Recaro it wasn't tested beyond 52 lbs and the recommendation remained to discontinue top tether use at 52 lbs. Without more of an explanation, I was not comfortable enough to make one of those "parental decisions" to continue using the TT. I'm one of those people who likes to follow the manual diligently because I know that whatever has been printed in the manual is based on best performance. I no longer have the PS. Top tethering is far too important to me, in a FF seat, that it's just not something I could overlook (especially considering it wasn't my only "con").

bnsnyde

Agree!
This is a high-harness weight seat. So that 52 lbs. thing makes no sense.

We are only going to use the harness mode so it might not be much of an issue, as my kids are really tall but not heavy.

Baylor

That's from the car's side, since the anchors are standard. From the carseat's side is rare.

Wendy

Can you tell me the worst that could happen if you use the tether to the full weight of the seat?
I can only think it may detach and then you are no worse than when you started??

Trying to work this through in my head..

gsdguenter

Can you tell me the worst that could happen if you use the tether to the full weight of the seat?
I can only think it may detach and then you are no worse than when you started??

yeah, me too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Keeping in mind I know nothing about the carseat or how the tether is attached (I'm assuming it's a traditional single tether, not a V shaped tether)...

If the tether cannot withstand the forces, the worst I can think of is that it would bend the seat or break the shell as it failed. Do I think that's likely? No. Would I continue to use the tether after 52 pounds? Probably. Especially as it seems it may just be a lack of testing rather than a real concern (they ok their tether to higher weights on the ProRide, though, so there may be an actual reason the ProSport is not ok).

Secondary disclaimer: This is purely speculation. Using the tether over 52 pounds harnessed in a ProSport is a parental decision.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Baylor said:

Like Wendy, seat-breakage came to mind.

Then again, if the shell is going to break at 52 lbs, do I really want to use it at 50?

The fact that you can't use the tether past 52 lbs--whether because it will fail or because the company chose not to test it--concerns me greatly.

bnsnyde

Do other seats test past 52 lbs?

I see many simply say use under 40.

And some Frontier85's require it after 65 lbs. (What's the deal there)?

This all seems so inconsistent.

firemomof3

The ProSport is suppose to harness until 90lbs. (ya right) but yet the harness is too short to accomidate a bigger child and you cannot use the tether beyond 52lbs. :confused: Umm....

Again, the only reason I bought the ProSport for my dd2 is because it really does fit her perfectly. But I can do a latch install and because she is so petite I'll never have to worry about the harness length or the tether "restrictions". For a bigger child I would still recommend the Frontier over the ProSport :twocents:

Baylor

Okay, So I would still probably use the tether but as Jennie said, I would be more concerned about the seat that it only says to 52lbs.. It is a weird weight limit.. Why not 50 or 55lbs?

I am so glad for all you guys have taught me. But I gotta tell you, Some of the car seat rules, make me batty... I don't understand them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC