suburban 3 across with budget seats

christineka

For an acquaintance:

Kids are: age 8, 45ish pounds, 50 inches tall, torso is about 18.5 inches. High back booster preferred, but backless is being considered. (family was t-boned a few years ago)

age 6, 38 pounds, on the second to top slot of nautilus, must be harnessed for maturity reasons.

4.5 year old- around 35 pounds not sure on height

3 year old, 35 ish pounds

3 year old, 30 pounds and short

16 month old, 31 pounds and big.

Sorry, I don't have all the info!

Vehicle is a 2003 Suburban. Middle, back seat has lap-belt only. Tethers are outboard only.

Current car seats are: 2 alpha omegas, 2 nautiluses (one used as booster), and 2 borrowed alpha omegas. Currently only 5 car seats fit. (When all 6 kids are transported, 8 yo sits in the lap-only belt.)

Budget is as low as possible. 3 big kids across the back is strongly preferred. The health department has evenflo big kid boosters, high and low back, titans, and maestros. The car seat class thing is only every other Wednesday- not sure which week. I may loan something until then. I've got: old style parkway, bodyguard, literiders, nania boosters, and one small vest. Any of those you'd try first? How about for a permanent solution? (Since I want my seat back and so does the current seat loaner.)

ADS

Jan06twinmom

For the 3 across the back, I would try Maestro outboard and center for the 2nd and 3rd child. Then the 8 yo would be outboard in a literider (if using nbb) or try the big kid (for hbb).

I'm wondering if they'll need another Maestro for at least one of the 3yo. If you can puzzle it, I would try to do one Nautilus and one Maestro in the second row for the 3 yo. I have no idea if those seats would puzzle together through.

I think they're going to need another seat for the baby. If the AO fits with the other seat, maybe use that for the short term. Maybe the Complete Air would work long-term since it is narrow, has a tall shell and has the 40lb/65lb limits? The complete air requires the more reclined angle, but maybe it won't be an issue with the size of the suburban. The MyRide or Evenflo Triumph would be more budget friendly seats, but they might not work as well since they are so wide.

Melanie

MoreLatte

I don't think I've ever been able to fit 3 seats across the back row. I've had a convertible in the center with a booster on one side and older 5-step kid on the other. It may be possible with a RF in the center but I don't know, the third row is really tight.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My neighbor has an 03 Suburban and I know she's done three across the back... I think she had backless turbos and a Century NextStep back there. Maybe you could do a Maestro next to two Big Kids.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I have a 2000 Sub, and can NOT get a Maestro in the 3rd row AT ALL. Don't know if she has LATCH in the 3rd row...that might be the only way cause with a seat belt install, it doesn't work. I can double check as my 3rd row is empty and my Maestro is in my living room.

christineka

We managed to get across the back: tribute, gn, and nania high rise across the back. I saw the tribute in her garage and asked if it was expired or crashed and she had thought it was expired, but it isn't until December:) I'm glad we managed to get something worked out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC