More Radian news about CT

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Does it say in the Canadian Radian manual that you can use it 1" past the top slot? I thought that was just for the Radian 80 or Premier :confused:

I'm not sure what the manual says... would have to go dig mine out, but you are allowed to use the Radian 65 up to 1" past the top slots as well as the Radian 80/Premier.

ADS

katrintrin

Well I called Dorel Canada today as Canadian Tire told me they distributed the Radian to them & here comes the big shocker, THEY DONT!

So Dorel doesn't distribute, PJM/SK In Van doesn't distribute to CT & Neither does Sk out of the U.S. SO I guess CT just gets them droped of to the stores from the carseat fairy.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well I called Dorel Canada today as Canadian Tire told me they distributed the Radian to them & here comes the big shocker, THEY DONT!

So Dorel doesn't distribute, PJM/SK In Van doesn't distribute to CT & Neither does Sk out of the U.S. SO I guess CT just gets them droped of to the stores from the carseat fairy.

:ROTFLMAO: Wonder if they can send the car seat fairy to my house when it's done at CT? :whistle:

(I don't have a manual for the Radian to look at, I was going off of other posts from communications with SK and the email that had been posted from Russ about the 1" over slots testing. Mind you, we don't have the regent either, so the radian still has the highest slots for seats in the canadian market. :thumbsup: )

skaterbabs

Isn't the TB's top height only 19"? So that would make the torso length for the Regent the same as the TB, right?

Yes. The torso height for the Regent is the same as the high back Turbo Booster.

FWIW, even though the Radian only measures one inch less than the Regenmt, realistically there's a greater difference. My sons outgrew the Regent last fall, they would not have fit in the Radian at all for at least three years prior.

thrillhouse

:scratcheshead: Wow, I've never heard of a 3yr old outgrowing the Radian before. It has top slots of 17"... so he must be on the top slots of his husky? Are you sure it was the Radian you were looking at?

Are you in Canada? If so,the Husky is illegal to use here... just so you know. I know lots of people still choose to use american seats, but you can get a ticket for it - plus fMVSS standards do differ from CMVSS standards. General opinion amongst the CDN techs this has been discussed with is that it's simply not worth the risk to bring a US seat into Canada unless there is no other seat available on the market to fit your child - like if it meant a 2yr old going into a booster or a child under 40lbs having to go into a booster.

Obviously you're already using the husky, so I won't try and tell you to go buy the radian anyways...lol. But for future reference or for anyone else who might be reading this thread, the radian does allow children's shoulders to up to 1" over the top slot. They are the only car seat to allow this. And so in the end it makes their seat able to harness a child with an 18" torso - only 2" less than the husky. Kid might not make it to 65lbs, but the vast majority willl make it to an age old enough to be safely using a booster. :twocents:

I'm not comfortable with the compression that would occur using the radian 1 inch past the top slots. My son lost a kidney to cancer and if anything happens to his remaining kidney, such as car accident injuries, he could die. We wanted him in the biggest safest seat we could get our hands on. When this one expires, I am hoping that by then we can get a canadian one. But if not, we'll go to the US and get another one in a heartbeat, plus one for little brother when he outgrows our canadian marathon.
yes, we know it's illegal to use a US seat. but honestly, my son's safety is much more important to us than getting a ticket. I have never ever ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for using a US seat. The seat is not expired and it is installed and used properly. That is far better than the dozens of "legal" seats I see each day that are clearly expired, installed poorly or not used at all. I am confident that we have made the right choice.

cdncasper

I'm not comfortable with the compression that would occur using the radian 1 inch past the top slots. My son lost a kidney to cancer and if anything happens to his remaining kidney, such as car accident injuries, he could die. We wanted him in the biggest safest seat we could get our hands on. When this one expires, I am hoping that by then we can get a canadian one. But if not, we'll go to the US and get another one in a heartbeat, plus one for little brother when he outgrows our canadian marathon.
yes, we know it's illegal to use a US seat. but honestly, my son's safety is much more important to us than getting a ticket. I have never ever ever heard of anyone getting a ticket for using a US seat. The seat is not expired and it is installed and used properly. That is far better than the dozens of "legal" seats I see each day that are clearly expired, installed poorly or not used at all. I am confident that we have made the right choice.

I have checked these seats and trust me both the Husky and the cdn Marathon are installed rock solid and are used correctly. In fact these 2 are part of about 4-5 carseats I have ever seen used correctly--not including my 2 carseats. Even though the Husky is technically illegal in canada I am happy to see parents who care so much about his safety to get a carseat that will keep him as safe as possible. Hopefully by the time the Husky expires we will have the Regent in canada and both kids can have legal seats. Either way I know they are safe.

tiger926

I just got off the phone with PJM Distributors to discover that we also have a short strap Radian that we bought from CT in Feb. '07 with a DOM of Aug. '06. She mentioned that they don't distribute to CT, and that CT gets it straight from the manufacturer. She didn't know much else as she just found this out and is still trying to wrap her head around it. Anyway, I have to contact Brad C about getting my new seat as well, so I'm not sure what the deal is with CT, but as customers, this is extremely problematic as their seats are sitting on their shelves for months at a time, and if no one can figure out where they are coming from that's a problem! She did say that PJM handles all of the repair/warranty issues - I called her from the number listed on the card inside my box.

Very confusing, indeed! Tiger

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just got off the phone with PJM Distributors to discover that we also have a short strap Radian that we bought from CT in Feb. '07 with a DOM of Aug. '06. She mentioned that they don't distribute to CT, and that CT gets it straight from the manufacturer. She didn't know much else as she just found this out and is still trying to wrap her head around it. Anyway, I have to contact Brad C about getting my new seat as well, so I'm not sure what the deal is with CT, but as customers, this is extremely problematic as their seats are sitting on their shelves for months at a time, and if no one can figure out where they are coming from that's a problem! She did say that PJM handles all of the repair/warranty issues - I called her from the number listed on the card inside my box.

Very confusing, indeed! Tiger

Well, the good thing for you is your replacement seat will have the deeper harness channel and 99% likelihood of the higher weight limit. So you actually got kind of lucky. ;)

And yep, PJM distributions is like Britax - doesn't matter where you buy a marathon, all repairs, recalls etc are handled through Britax.

You know, I think that PJM must supply CT, but maybe CT buys under a different name or something? Or maybe they buy under a # or something? Or a private distributor? There's gotta be a reason why their name isn't on PJM's records when PJM is the sole distributor of Radian's in Canada. You just have to wonder what that reason is...

katrintrin

CT told me they are third party, meaning it comes from a suplier then they have buyers & then it reaches their store. Thats as far as I got

tiger926

Well, the good thing for you is your replacement seat will have the deeper harness channel and 99% likelihood of the higher weight limit. So you actually got kind of lucky. ;)

And yep, PJM distributions is like Britax - doesn't matter where you buy a marathon, all repairs, recalls etc are handled through Britax.

You know, I think that PJM must supply CT, but maybe CT buys under a different name or something? Or maybe they buy under a # or something? Or a private distributor? There's gotta be a reason why their name isn't on PJM's records when PJM is the sole distributor of Radian's in Canada. You just have to wonder what that reason is...

No, not necessarily. She told me they can't guarantee what seat they are sending me at all. It more than likely will be a few months old, which means it probably won't be a new 65lb seat. We are just happy to be getting the right seat at this point!

Tiger

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
A Jan '07 model gets you the deeper harness channel for sure. Also all seats that are coming from the manufacturer at this point *should* have been restickered, regardless of DOM.

Guess we'll see what happens when your new seat shows up. :)

tiger926

A Jan '07 model gets you the deeper harness channel for sure. Also all seats that are coming from the manufacturer at this point *should* have been restickered, regardless of DOM.

Guess we'll see what happens when your new seat shows up. :)

It will be a mystery since I asked specifically about getting a new 65lb seat, and she said I most probably would not as they always have a stockpile of car seats in inventory that are approx. 6 months old and so she couldn't guarantee that? I reiterated to her that I best not be getting an 2006 seat, and she said that I more than likely would not - she doesn't know for sure as I am awaiting Brad C's email response about what seat I will be receiving.

I'll definitely post once I get my seat. Thanks, Tiger :)

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Mommycat ordered Radians that had a DOM of Jan'07 and they had been restickered. So I think if you get a new one it should be restickered as well. Good Luck :)

I got my 2 Radians and a Marathon from babyproofingplus.com today. The two Radians are DOM Jan 07 and are both stickered for 65 lb, as well as manuals printed with 65 lb. Score!!! :love:

The Marathon unfortunately makes no mention of re-stickering and is still firmly stickered with 48 lb. :( MAYBE when I send in the registration they will issue a sticker, but I am starting to have my doubts... I think the DOM for that one was March 07.

Jumanji

I email CT about my Radian that I just purchased and I actually got a reply back. I actually don't plan on returning my seat I just wanted to find out what their response would be. I plan on passing it down to my daughter once my sone passes the 48lb limit and getting him a 65lb one. For now it works for his since he's only 37 lbs.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting our office regarding your inquiry.

Currently our office does not have any information of when we may be carrying the new model of the Radian Car Seat.

To return an item for an exchange or refund, bring it to any Canadian Tire store within 90 days, in its original condition and packaging, with your Official Sales Receipt and the issuance of Canadian Tire 'Money'. Some stores may require Valid photo ID. Details can be found at the store's Customer Service desk. Some exceptions may apply.

The stores reserve the right to refuse to credit or exchange the article should a receipt not be available or a defect cannot be found with the product. Gift Cards purchases are final. Gift Cards are not returnable and non-refundable.

Our success is based on the voice of our customers. We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to respond.

Regards,

Lisa Thompson
Customer Relations Representative
Canadian Tire Corporation Limited
customerservice@canadiantire.ca
1-800-387-8803

This message, including any attachments, is privileged and may contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. If
you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately by reply email and permanently delete
the original transmission from the sender, including any attachments,
without making a copy. Thank you.

---On 06/26/2007, :

Form Message

Subject: Product Information
Message: I was wondering when you would be selling the new Sunshine Kids Radian car seat that is rated to 65 lbs. I just bought a Radian today from your store and was very disappointed to learn that it's only rated to 48lbs and it was manufactured in Oct-06. Since car seats expire that's already 9 months that I've lost in it's usuable life. I'll likely return this seat and buy a newer one from a different retailer unless Canadian Tire will be making the new ones available soon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC