WWYD-Buy another convertible or turn DD FF?

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
DD is 3.5 years old, 34lbs, 37.5" and currently in a MR with about 2 inches of shell above her head. My plan was to keep her in it until DS outgrew his KF and then buy DD a combo seat and pass the MR down to DS. I figured DD would be at least 4 by this time and that I would be comfortable FFing her.

Well, I am just not loving the KF and really want to move DS into a convertible now, but I'm having a hard time with the thought of turning DD. I know in my mind that she would be safe because she'd be in a properly installed & properly used seat, but I really want to keep her RFing. I was actually considering buying one of the new RXTs when they come out so she can RF longer. I figured I could justify the cost since it would be the last seat she would need.

So now I'm not sure what to do. I have an expired seat I could use at BRU's trade in and I was thinking of just getting DS a MR, but it is crazy to invest in another convertible at this point?

ADS

bnsnyde

I did. :) Moved my 3.5-year-old daughter to an XTSL after her Advocate so she could stay RF. But I have tons of kids to pass things around. And the XTSL was $83 on clearance through CSN and with a few rewards points I had saved. (And I upgraded to XTSL over the XT not too long ago for reasons that are not exciting enough to post.) Nana has XT spares, now, though.

I can't predict the future but it seems like she might fit in this for a looooooog time. I think the 2-year-old is going to need it for height sooner than I thought! So I'll have to turn my daughter FF. Unless I come up with another setup. I love playing the "what's the best setup game."
Because there are 4 kids and they all grow at rates that I cannot predict, I play this game a lot! It's easy having them all in seats in our van. The fun and challenging part is trying to do best practice as perfectly as I can.

lpperry

I would probably just use the keyfit for another 6 months even if you don't love it, as long as the baby fits fine.

If you really don't want to use the keyfit, and you want to continue to rearface your dd, I don't think it would be that big of a deal to buy another convertible rather than a combination seat. You can keep using the convertible rf and then ff and then get a dedicated booster when you are ready. The dedicated boosters aren't that expensive, so you're not going to be spending that much more money than if you just bought a Nautilus or Frontier right now and passed the MR to the baby.

aeormsby

If you want to get another convertible and keep your DD RF I probably wouldn't get another Myride. I'm not a fan of how reclined it installs FF :twocents: But, you could get a Truefit and put your little guy in it to start and then put DD in it FF when she outgrows the Myride RF.

Or just go for a FF seat. I wouldn't worry about FF a 3.5yo at all (both of my kids hit the RF limit shortly after they turned 3, and even when all the new 40lb RF seats came out I was OK with keeping them FF).

flutie128

I would turn your DD but I turned my DD at 3 years old, 30 pounds and 39 inches tall. She can still RF in all convertibles I own but DH was having a hard time stuffing her in RFing.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I am in the camp of RF ' em till they don't fit, so I would get another convertable. That said, I wouldn't fault you for turning her, either... I just know that it would make me twitchy to see it in my rearview, lol.

Have you considered something inexpensive (like a Scenera) to get DS through until you turn DD, and then later use as a spare?

solmama

I'd turn her. My ds outgrew his Truefit (by weight) at 3.5 and I turned him ff. It worked out just fine. It's an excuse to buy a nice combination seat.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I'm glad I'm not completely crazy for considering another convertible. I guess I'll wait and see what they have at BRU for seat selection and go from there since I want to use the 25% off. If they don't have a combo seat that will work for us, I'll just be forced to get another convertible. ;)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
truckerswife said:
I would buy her a good harness / booster seat that would really be the last seat she would need

I bought ds a frontier 85. I figure he is set. Lol

I'm not digging the bucket either, but I really need to suck it up until at least february. My friend is thinking of buying an aton just because shes a nerd and as said I can use it. That will help.

Now brought to you by my Vortex and *ghasp* an app.... I joined the craze... Now please excuse the typos while I master this swype thing.

lovemybabies924

I bought my ds a frontier 85 at 3 almost 4 because it will last him forever :)

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

Chely7425

If you can afford another convertible I would do that.. but I don't see a big deal in her FFing either. My 3.5 year old has gone back and forth a few times in the past few months.

momtoo3

I would look at the Lamaze (first years) True Fit Premeire at BRU. It is awesome both rf and ff. Ds3 will fit in his until he needs a booster.

cookie123

I'd probably suck it up and use the infant seat until it's outgrown, then switch dd to ff and pass down to baby. I'm cheap like that. Plus winter's coming quickly and I prefer it in winter.:) Anyway, if she's 4 by then, I'd be happy.

southernveg

trippsmom said:
I bought ds a frontier 85. I figure he is set. Lol

I'm not digging the bucket either, but I really need to suck it up until at least february. My friend is thinking of buying an aton just because shes a nerd and as said I can use it. That will help.

You're totally using me for that seat. ha!

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I would look at the Lamaze (first years) True Fit Premeire at BRU. It is awesome both rf and ff. Ds3 will fit in his until he needs a booster.

That's actually what I ended up getting :) I really like the anti-rebound bar and DS seems really happy in it. We had an 8 hour drive yesterday and he seemed nice & comfy. I'll be glad when he is big enough not to need the infant padding though because I'm not loving it. I have to really be sure the harness is positioned right.

I think I'll like the FFing install of it better than the MR so I'll just switch DD to it when I finally do turn her and move DS to the MR.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC