Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Parenting a Baker's Dozen

Did anyone see this show? I only saw part of it, but the girls were in OHS car seats.

Here's a link with future airing schedule and some details of the interesting family: feed://www.dapper.net/services/PBD_dh

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Parenting a Baker's Dozen

Yep, I watched it last night, I'm always watching those shows on larger families (not that I have one). The girls were in OHS seats...all three of them. I don't know about the newborn twins. I think infant carrier seats of some type. They also have 5-year-old twin boys, not sure if they are in anything (they were getting on the schoolbus in the show and no other shots of them in a car were seen). The clips showing the carseats were really brief. I was watching another show on Disc. Health the other night and the people had triplets, but they put them in the carseats with big bulky winter coats on, and the chest clips were at the kids' bellies. It seems like a lot of families featured on these shows misuse carseats. But that's just something I'm observed...I know not all of them do.
    Katy
    Full-time stepmom to DD1, 11, Incognito/5-stepping
    Mama to DD2, 5, True Fit, Complete Air, booster training
    DD3, 2.5, RA50, MyRide

ABCatherine

What does "OHS" mean?

Carseat Crazy

Overhead shield. Here is some discussion of how a five-point harness compares to an overhead shield.

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/fivepointshield.aspx

5-point harness is quite safe!

CPS Technician

Giving credit to the family (Yes, I've seen the show) - OHS seats are currently available and do meet the same safety standards as 5 pt harness seats. Even our much favored "cheap seat" - the Cosco Scenera comes in a OHS version (which I'm thankful is $10 - $15 more than the 5 pt. Scenera at Wally World).

Yes, a seat with a 5 pt. harness is preferred, but OHS are useful in some situations.

Some people see them as easier to use (the straps don't twist, only one buckle to buckle) - since the "Best" seat is the one that fits the car, the child, and WILL BE USED CORRECTLY EVERY TIME.

Also, for someone with fine motor difficulties or who lacks/limited use one hand, an OHS might be preferable. Personally, I've found them to be more difficult, but I've never tried to buckle a child into a 5 pt. harness using only one hand.