Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Concerned about lack of good advice

Hi,
    I have only posted here a couple times, but I read a lot, and I recognize a lot of you from a while ago from the parent's place car seat board as well. Its that board that I am really getting concerned about. From what I can tell, there are very few techs there at all anymore, and a few posters who mean well are really not giving the best replies sometimes. do any of you more knowledgeable people ever post over there anymore? It saddens me that sometimes people are not getting the best advice, and I sure wish I was a tech so if I posted more that people may take my advice at face value. I don't post there much because of the fact that people there don't "know" me any more, and I'm not sure they woud listen to me or not. Sorry if this is not appropriate to post here, I was just wondering if any of you still lurk or post over there or would be willing to.
    Thanks for reading!
    Mary, SAHM to Aimee 15, Heather 6 1/2 44 lbs ff Marathon, and Laura almost 4 42 lbs ff Wizard
    Mary
    Mom to Aimee 25, Heather 16, & Laura 14

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Concerned about lack of good advice

I don't even know about it. What is the address?

I didn't know if it was ok to post a link to another message board or not so I didn't add it to my OP. Here it is: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv...ats?redirCnt=1
    I really wish I had child care so I could take the course and finally become a tech!
    Mary
    Mom to Aimee 25, Heather 16, & Laura 14

Moderator - CPST Instructor mom2acrew's Avatar

I know it really is too bad, alot of people migrated away from there when the format changed. I don't think they were very wonderful to their CL's either.
    Jodi CPST Mom to 5

Senior Community Member R&J'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by monzogary View Post
    Hi,
    I have only posted here a couple times, but I read a lot, and I recognize a lot of you from a while ago from the parent's place car seat board as well. Its that board that I am really getting concerned about. From what I can tell, there are very few techs there at all anymore, and a few posters who mean well are really not giving the best replies sometimes. do any of you more knowledgeable people ever post over there anymore? It saddens me that sometimes people are not getting the best advice, and I sure wish I was a tech so if I posted more that people may take my advice at face value. I don't post there much because of the fact that people there don't "know" me any more, and I'm not sure they woud listen to me or not. Sorry if this is not appropriate to post here, I was just wondering if any of you still lurk or post over there or would be willing to.
    Thanks for reading!
    Mary, SAHM to Aimee 15, Heather 6 1/2 44 lbs ff Marathon, and Laura almost 4 42 lbs ff Wizard

Why don't you post a link to our board so the people on that board can come over here and get some good advice?

iVillage TOS is not friendly to that suggestion at all (posting a link to our board). I wouldn't doubt that someone would end up reporting it and it would get pulled. It makes me sad that it's not the great place it used to be, but Jodi is right - they certainly didn't lavish love on their CLs .
    Amy Expired (need to recert!) CPST & Mom to 8 great kids, 3 in a seatbelt, 5 in seats

Ok, jsut went there. I hate their setup! Plus you have to pay if you want all the replies on one page? Yuck!

Heehee. I just added my "favorite car safety" web site to my profile. We will see if it lasts.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I used to post over there more but now I spend most of my carseat board time here. I haven't gotten reprimanded for posting links over there from time to time to back up some info. I've posted, but it's a fine line sometimes as far as the TOS goes, and the format really is the pits compared to what it once was like. I figure if I get reprimanded, I'll just stop posting over there altogether which I've nearly done already due to time contraints and focusing more over here. iVillage was the first carseat board I ever lurked/posted on, and I'm kind of nostalgic for the board in its prime when it had many posts each day, lol. Now it's a mere shadow of its former self.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

I quit posting there a long time ago. I think it was the first carseat board I ever found. But I hate the format, I hate only being able to read one reply per page unless I pay money. Ridiculous. I don't post much at BabyCenter either only because I hate the format there, too. Good people, great advice, poor format IMO.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

I opened the page, looked for all of 5 seconds, and closed it! That format is horrible!
    Mom to P (9), J (almost 8), & E (2.5)

iVillage was my first board, too, but the new format is terrible! It is so slow and I refuse to pay money to read all the replies. Babycenter is better, but not by much. I joined iVillage in, I think, 1999. I read it once in a while, but it takes 15 minutes to load.
    Jacky, CPST and mom to Kenzie(5) and Maverick(3) Riding in a Frontier, Marathon 70 and Radian, Safety 1st Store N Go and Evenflo Right Fit

Quote Originally Posted by cpsaddict View Post
    iVillage was my first board, too, but the new format is terrible! It is so slow and I refuse to pay money to read all the replies. Babycenter is better, but not by much. I joined iVillage in, I think, 1999. I read it once in a while, but it takes 15 minutes to load.
    I left when they started charging. I posted there from early 98 (when you could post pics in your sig using code), went through numerous format changes and finally left in 03 or 04 when they started getting greedy

Sarah, Mommy to J-7/96 seatbelt , L-11/97 seatbelt , K-7/00 seatbelt (she's 5'3!) & I-5/02 Britax Frontier and Child Passenger Safety Tech since 3/02!!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

I joined ParentsPlace.com in 1997, but left when they started charging money for things like readable board formats.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamPacey&Joshua View Post
    I opened the page, looked for all of 5 seconds, and closed it! That format is horrible!
    This exactly!
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

I used to post there too under a different name, I also left when they changed the format and started to charge for things that used to be free.
    BethAnn

Canadian CPST, Mommy to ,
    E 12 5 Steps!
    N 7 Monteray, Prkway & Clek

Senior Community Member Melizerd's Avatar

I'm there! I promise I only give out advice that I KNOW the answer to. I've often come here dug up the info and then posted the information, like specs of seats or known installation issues.

The reason I often post there is SO that people are getting good advice. I'm not a tech yet but I WILL be if I can get a class in my area.

We can't post links to other boards there though.
    Mel,RN
    Married 13 years to a wonderful DH and mom to an amazing 8 year old boy.

Living the dream...Blogging about love, life and family

That site sucks. It has a pretty bad format, although I have seen worse. If you provide a link here, they probably wouldn't like it, because people wouldn't go there anymore.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Mel, you're Lola on iVillage, right? I'm slow but I think I finally figured it out, lol. Kudos to you for helping over there.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Senior Community Member Melizerd's Avatar

yup that's me I try to do what I can because I really like my playgroup there. My PG is the one that made me the blinkie about buying Britax. I've also convinced 3 ladies to turn their toddlers back RFing.

Please let me know if you see something that I goof up on because I'm still learning a lot of things. My desktop is full of information I've gathered.

I think "most" people want to do the right thing but it's hard to know where to look and who to listen to and the research takes too long for most people to do.
    Mel,RN
    Married 13 years to a wonderful DH and mom to an amazing 8 year old boy.

Living the dream...Blogging about love, life and family