Another bus thread . . .

gsdguenter

DD1 will be going to our public preschool starting Tuesday and the bus company just called me today. In her IEP we wrote I would be providing a restraint. She just turned 4 2 weeks ago and is 37 lbs. She is still rfing so this is a big deal for me :eek: She will be taking the bus (small one, but not a van) home from school and my mom will be dropping her off.

Here's the issue, I don't know which restraint to give them. I asked if they had any STAR ones or other restraints and they (bus company) said they didn't. All parents provide their own restraints. I kind of figured that. No big deal.

Okay, so I am thinking I really like the STAR one and could buy it for her to use. Or, I could send one of our current seats. Or I could use this as an excuse to buy a new seat :love::p

So, what would you do - keep in mind she will only be taking it home Monday - Thursday. I am a little nervous about what they will do with it when she is not on the bus. I am waiting for the driver to call me back tomorrow so we can work out details.

Options as I see them (please feel free to give me others):

1. Buy a STAR (do I get a tech discount?)
2. "Give" them one of our seats that will stay in the bus. I can't see them installing and uninstalling it every day, right. Plus, I don't think I'd like that. Too much chance for user error.
3. Buy a new seat - tell me which one.

TIA! I'm soooo nervous about this.

Oh, the seats we have in the house are Scenera (she still fits but is obviously close to outgrowing it weight-wise), RNXT or RNXTSL, MT (no way :p), or ummm, well that's it. Oh, we also have a RSTV.

I'd like to not spend more than $250. Preferably a lot less than that, but I am going to a conference Saturday and will be getting a stipend for $250 so I can justify this as "extra spending money".

ADS

Mommy0608

Hmm... Well, I think in this case, I'd go with a Maestro. It's cheap and easy to use/install, so there's not a lot of room for error. Other seats have quirks like the harness height adjustment on the Nautilus, recline bar on the FR85, etc. I'd go with a basic, no-frills seat that's easy to use, easy to install with seat belt and lightweight and the Maestro fits the bill (plus, if something does happen to it, you wouldn't be out the cost of a more expensive seat).

This may be totally off the wall, but could you sew a patch to the cover with your DD's name, or maybe put a big name sticker on the side or arm rest? I'd be afraid of them mixing seats up and putting the kids in the wrong seats if they do install and uninstall frequently. Maybe that's not an issue though... could just be me being paranoid. :p

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Have you looked at other school bus restraints? EZ-On's Y harness, the Besi bus harness, etc.? Some of them might be cheaper, I think I remember the STAR being one of the more expensive ones (though it's been a while.)

Whenever possible, it's definitely best to use one designed for a bus- less head excursion, etc.

Will the bus be full at any time? Any chance they'd be ok with you using up 2 seats by installing her seat and tethering to the seatbelt behind? That would be another good option, if you end up using a conventional seat.

Mommy0608

Uh... what she said. :eek: Sorry, KQ knows more about this than I do. I didn't think about the head excursion. So scratch that... look for bus restraint first, if none of those fit your needs and you're going to go for a conventional restraint, I'd still say Maestro because it sits low and isn't a big, bulky seat so it'll give you more room between your child's head and the seat in front than other, larger seats such as the Nautilus or FR85.

gsdguenter

Thanks! I haven't heard back from the bus driver but I will be on the look out for a bus restraint tonight. I don't think it will come by Tuesday, especially with Irene so I'll install her scenera until it comes. Not sure when I'll do that though since I work 7-3ish. Hopefully the drover will let me go to his/house to install it either this weekend or Monday afternoon.

If I don't hear back by Tuesday should I send her without a restraint? Not sure i trust anyone else to install a seat if I can't do it . . . She has diagnosed anxiety disorder, disruptive behavior disorder and sensory processing (sensory seeker). I could ask my mom to bring her home instead but it will put her out of her way (she would do it though).

Any ideas of good places to buy from? Tech discounts available?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Here's a list of retailers http://www.safeguardseat.com/industries/school-transportation/add-on-restraints/star/how-to-buy.php

New Hampshire specific dealers: DATTCO, Inc.
583 South Street
New Britain, CT 06051
Phone: 860-229-4878
Fax: 860-224-4550
Toll Free: 800-229-4879
E-mail: SteveK@DATTCO.com

Liberty International Trucks of NH
(Parts & Service Location Only)
1400 S. Willow Street
Manchester, NH 03103
Phone: 603-623-8873
Fax: 603-641-9486

I've bought things from Midwest Transit and the 2 day shipping to Cali was very reasonable.

The Star starts at about $120 and the Star Plus starts at about $140.

HTH

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Generally you would get better prices from a local distributor, and they might have it in stock, though Ez-On is usually wonderful to work directly with, too.

bnsnyde

We are in a similar situation with my daughter's preschool, but the small bus provides a harness. I just called them about how the logistics work, and they will have it on the bus Monday for the first day of school. So we are all set!

I didn't ask about other restraints b/c the one they are providing is for a bus, so that's good. I just need to figure out they are sizing her. They looked at her, determined her size, and then mumbled something about the bulky coat in the winter. (She has a carseat poncho, though)!

gsdguenter

safeinthecar said:
Here's a list of retailers http://www.safeguardseat.com/industries/school-transportation/add-on-restraints/star/how-to-buy.php

New Hampshire specific dealers: DATTCO, Inc.
583 South Street
New Britain, CT 06051
Phone: 860-229-4878
Fax: 860-224-4550
Toll Free: 800-229-4879
E-mail: SteveK@DATTCO.com

Liberty International Trucks of NH
(Parts & Service Location Only)
1400 S. Willow Street
Manchester, NH 03103
Phone: 603-623-8873
Fax: 603-641-9486

I've bought things from Midwest Transit and the 2 day shipping to Cali was very reasonable.

The Star starts at about $120 and the Star Plus starts at about $140.

HTH

Thanks so much for this info!!!! I'll rep you when i get home :)

gsdguenter

Oh yeah, I'm open to anything. I like how easy the STAR looks to use and the EZ-On looks like it will have more room for user error, kwim. Perhaps that is not true?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, I mean, it's cheaper than a Nautilus, only $45-55 more than a Maestro, and should last a while... I bet when you're done with it you can resell on swap, too. :)

gsdguenter

ketchupqueen said:
Well, I mean, it's cheaper than a Nautilus, only $45-55 more than a Maestro, and should last a while... I bet when you're done with it you can resell on swap, too. :)

That's what I was thinking

AgwasStars2

I got my son's STAR Plus for $179 shipped right to my door. If you need the name of the company, or whatnot, just PM me. Or, I may be willing to sell mine, since I will be driving a special needs bus with seat belts, so I am probably going to install a Britax Roundabout 55 for him to ride around on since he will be spending so much time in it...

I originally bought the Star because I was a substitute driver, and I wouldnt have the same bus every day, so I needed something that would be safe on regular ed buses as well as special needs buses, and easy to move from one bus to another. As it turned out, I was on a special needs bus from day one. Lol! :)

gsdguenter

I got my shipping confirmation of $145 ($10 shipping included in that price) and it should arrive tomorrow via fedex. DD hasn't had school because 1/2 our town still doesn't have power, so it's worked put okay so far lol

gsdguenter

No power? Gee, why!?!? ;)

I realized after I posted that you said you already bought one, lol!

lol, that's okay ;) I'm hoping they have school tomorrow, but not sure. I am going to have my mom drive her and bring her home until I can go install her new seat in the bus. It's been hard to get in touch with people with the lack of power :mad:

bnsnyde

Hey, did I write this? LOL
Same here. Daughter is almost 4 and 36 lbs. Rear-facing with me.

The small bus takes her to Pre-K. I want STARS! They carry them. They won't let me buy one though. So I was on the phone hours today about how to get that in her IEP b/c I don't want the harness they gave me (which is not a restraint for a crash).

So we'll see if they let me have STARS. Most kids use lap belts; others an odd harness that seems to do nothing in a crash, and maybe more harm than good (it is simply a vest).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC